Realtime help needed: Reconnecting rear sway to KDSS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing air helper springs in the 200. Bags are in, springs are in, KDSS valves are out 3 turns each. The problem is the KDSS lever arm that connects to the rear sway bar driver side is fully extended down and takes a tremendous amount of force to lever up, impossible to do while trying to get the little ball joint there into the sway bar end. Any ideas?

Jacks and ratchet straps are your friends.

All good stuff, thank you. I ended up lowering the whole car on its wheels and using a floor jack to jack up the free-floating pivot arm to the sway bar end. Still totally dicey manuver but did the job.

Somewhat related it's funny to me that this is the 3rd truck I've installed helper springs in (4R, 100, now 200) and there's always something in the job that is more of a PITA than you expect. Always a bit of a wrestling match. The 200 has been the easiest of all of these, but still.

Are you talking about this? I'm getting ready to install rear spacers and was first wondering if I really had to disconnect that to get the springs out and back in, and if do, how hard that might be to put back.

1594689957655.png

The other sway bar linkage that goes up to the frame on the passenger side is pretty straightforward to remove/reinstall. Use a jack. Block the wheels so it cant roll. Put tension on the arm and remove the 24 mm nut on top of the linkage. There is a bushing and washer on top. Lower the jack and the linkage will lower out of the hole.
Once you're done jack up the arm and guide the linkage through the hole. Replace the bushings and washer, tighten the nut. I also use a 4' breaker bar to pry the axle down on the passenger side. It will drop to the point the upper arm hits the gas tank.

The other sway bar linkage that goes up to the frame on the passenger side is pretty straightforward to remove/reinstall. Use a jack. Block the wheels so it cant roll. Put tension on the arm and remove the 24 mm nut on top of the linkage. There is a bushing and washer on top. Lower the jack and the linkage will lower out of the hole.
Once you're done jack up the arm and guide the linkage through the hole. Replace the bushings and washer, tighten the nut. I also use a 4' breaker bar to pry the axle down on the passenger side. It will drop to the point the upper arm hits the gas tank.
This was a great tip! Thanks @TexAZ. I was able to get the spring out and reinstall with the spacer on driver side with only disconnecting the lower shock mount. I had to detach the sway bar on the passenger side to get enough axle drop to do it. I use the bottle jack and some 2x6 cribbing.
527E9F35-4030-4822-8492-FF7F6D7FBEE6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom