Real time help request - lifting 80 Series engine for motor mount replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I did mine back in October.

Used the "jack&2x4 method" but made a little more carefully made support block out of layers of plywood, to make sure the weight was evenly spread over much of the flat bottom of the cast aluminum oil pan. I also struggled with the suspension unloading, which was a pain. Would try strapping the axle next time. Also, it seemed like the amount of lift just stopped at some point - like pipes in back of the engine were being smashed & lifting the entire body? then there was barely enough room to get the mounts out and back in - fingers in between rock & hard place - felt scared of being smashed by a shift (Seemed like a body lifted truck would go easier?). NOT my idea of a fun job.

Really tried to get to those "little brackets between engine & mount" as @thegadgetguy mentions, but just could not get wench access to at least one bolt each side, so that was a fail.

The idea of lifting the engine by the harmonic balancer just seemed to me - too risky of serious engine damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom