Re gear to 4.88's or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nottajeep

Enemies of the State
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, my birthday and christmas arrived today:bounce:

I want to install now but I am also seriously considering regearing to 4.88's and I know it doesn't make sense to put on the lockers and then tear down to regear later.

I will have to save up until about March 2012 to buy gears.
I plan to also run 33" tires with my 4spd tranny.

Question for the seasoned wheelers on here, would you regear or not?

Towing 3-5k lb camper is in my 3-5yr horizon.
2011-09-08_18-00-11_564.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any chance you will ever go to 35s? If so re-gear.

Is your truck high mileage? If so maybe re-gear.

Do you care about going 85mph at a decent RPM with 33s? If so, Do not re-gear.

Are you looking for more low range crawl, hill descent control? If so, re-gear.

Is it very hilly where you live? If so, re-gear.

Edit1: Do you have 33s and still want it lower? If so, re-gear.

Edit2: Do you have an extra grand in you pocket you want to blow? If so, re-gear.

Edit3: Do you feel better about having new stuff mesh with other new stuff? If so, re-gear.

Do you want it all? If so, re-gear.

I did it and I currently run 33s. I would not have done it any other way even if I never planed on running 35s. I am 100% happy with the decision. (note I have a 5 speed). I feel that the lower gearing in the mountains and while pulling stuff is noticeable enough to be worth it. And the best part is that my Diffs have like 1,200 miles on them total.

Last edited:
Is there any chance you will ever go to 35s? If so re-gear.

Do you care about going 85mph at a decent RPM with 33s? If so, Do not re-gear.

Are you looking for more low range crawl, hill descent control? If so, re-gear.

Is it very hilly where you live? If so, re-gear.

Do you want it all? If so, re-gear.

^ This.

While 35's on 4.30's is almost like having an extra gear on the highway, it screws with the truck. I liked it at first, but now that I'm commuting more in it not so much. Lockers isn't a priority for me for a while, so I'll probably go to 33's on the next re-rubber. If you're 80% highway then don't re-gear.

Offroad is different. 4Lo 1st gear is still plenty low for everything but serious crawling. My standard trail mode is 4Lo with 2nd start. 2nd and 3rd is all I need. Occasionally I'll downshift to 1st if there's a bigger obstacle.

I did it and I currently run 33s. I would not have done it any other way even if I never planed on running 35s. I am 100% happy with the decision. (note I have a 5 speed).

On the flip side :D

I just went through the same decision and decided not to regear. I had 4.88's in my last truck and enjoyed it. I do have the 5 speed and the lo gear going down hill wasx similar to an 80 series with 4.88's

I plan to run the 33+ tires I have not go 35's. Been there and done that.

But as Jon said, if you want to regear, then do it. Now is the time

There really is no right or wrong answer, it comes down to what do you want.

The number one thing driving my decision was whether or not I was ever going to run 35s. I had 35s for a couple of months before I re-geared and overall performance was not up to par. A vehicle this nice deserves not to be hunting for gears on gently rolling highways. It just knocked the whole driving experience down a notch.

When I had my 33s, I could tell a difference off the line but it was not significant enough to even consider a re-gear in my opinion.

- Sent from a very small supercomputer.

Ofcourse when you are talking about Toyota, especially the LC, the term high mileage is very widely discussed. But why do you think this is a consideration?

jasonbraswell said:
Ofcourse when you are talking about Toyota, especially the LC, the term high mileage is very lucrative. But why do you think this is a consideration?

Rings and pinions do wear out. It might be 200k, 300k, 400k or more miles, but I like my new stuff to mesh and seat with other new stuff. I have no science to back it up.

I always wanted to regear...with 33" Trail Grapplers I wanted to get it back near to stock performance while getting it freshened up.....a broke R&P gear in front made the decision for me when the aftermarket gears for front and rear were about the same as just the front through toyota...so it was done. I dont ever plan on 35s but am glad i did it now a couple months later....

-better starting from a stop....better mpg around town
-better manners ESPECIALLY when using cruise and there is a slight mole hill...before it would kickdown at slightest hill but now it keeps going
-better LOW gearing for offroad which means less skinny pedal on climbs and such

I had 156,000+ when my front diff went out...now at 158,000 so they are broke in good and heading to Uwharrie next weekend... LOL

Regear.

You'll be happy that you did.

Beno has spoken, and you won't even be buying from him. That makes it a really good endorsement.

Regear.

5spd & 33s > dont regear
5spd & 35s > regear
4spd & 33/35s > regear*

*Unless you run 33s and live at sea-level and dont ever go anywhere fun/dont pull a trailer regularly.
my opinion, not the end all solution. take it with a grain of seasalt

35" + 4.88's with the A750F would be perfect IMO. As my rig is set-up now, weight wise, I am curious how 5.29's with the A343F would feel. Methinks mucho betta. Especially when the KK is in my rear view mirror :).

Sea level makes up for a lot! But at our ~5,000' and up a regear is a must for 35's and armor. I ran the stock 4.30's and 33's for a year+ and I didn't like it either from a tranny shift point perspective; it made an already bad condition worse...

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have regeared my 98LX. I would've sold it, bought one with a 5sp, then regeared it :)

1loudLX said:
5spd & 33s > dont regear
5spd & 35s > regear

I politely disagree with this part of your statement but fully agree with the rest. I would do 5.29s in a heartbeat with 35s.

You think regear even on 33s? I know you are but I don't know if I would if I had 33s and the 5spd here. The 33s and 4spd kinda sucked over the passes but when I went to 35s it had to be done.

You think regear even on 33s? I know you are but I don't know if I would if I had 33s and the 5spd here. The 33s and 4spd kinda sucked over the passes but when I went to 35s it had to be done.

Yes, in every situation except highspeed (like over the limit kina speed) driving I am glad I regeared (running 285/65R18). There is noticable pep off the line, the truck does not fish for gears, and off road I like being as low as possible in first (I know automatic is a bit different than manual but it still matters). I have noticed a decrease in speed when descending steep hills, and better overall control at lower speeds. If I had a suburban style commute (I drive 4 minutes to work) the higher RPMs may bother me but the advantages off road and on road at moderate speeds far outweigh the slight disadvantages to me.

Lots of personal factors people need to weigh in when they make the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom