Random chit chat thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really hope Toyota is watching. I won't be buying a car anytime soon and if I do it's an EV for me. But Ford did a good job and research.

I won't be buying a car anytime soon and if I do it's an EV for me.

I will gouge both eyes out with forks before I part with any amount of money to drive an EV. :flipoff2:I'm really not sure why I am so repulsed by electric vehicles...I mean...they have lots of torque so they could be fun...I just...can't. Good news for me is for every person who switches to Electric, there will be that much more dino juice for me :).

Moving this back from the "Let's Laugh" thread....

I too will probably sit back and watch for a few years. I certainly want to own one at some point.

So many really cool things - revolutionary things! Who else has a modular body? A genuine real effort at market research and innovation - not gimmicky crap like most manufacturers are doing these days.

A vehicle that can actually generate excitement at a reasonable price range! I think this is an instant classic and probably has nearly as interesting of a story behind it as the GT did in Ford vs Ferrari.

I read an interesting article yesterday from Hagerty. If you have ever been involved in product management on any level, it is a good read!
Avoidable Contact #67: Having built some Blazers, I want to make a Bronco | Hagerty Media

Good read! Agree with his take. I'm on a couple of product development teams at work and provide "real world, customer-focused feedback" on our various R&D projects - and we often get into the great debate as to whether we are going for easy mediocrity or something truly different and groundbreaking. Two of our recent releases were different and groundbreaking. One is selling like hotcakes, the other one was a complete miss. One Project Manager still works at the company, the other project manager (and his whole development team) are gone. Ford did make some bold strokes here and I'm thrilled they did. Now Toyota can build a "Me too" product to compete, assume virtually none of the risk, and release something that has most of the same features and is probably more well built and reliable.

I will gouge both eyes out with forks before I part with any amount of money to drive an EV. :flipoff2:I'm really not sure why I am so repulsed by electric vehicles...I mean...they have lots of torque so they could be fun...I just...can't. Good news for me is for every person who switches to Electric, there will be that much more dino juice for me :).

I had the same feelings then I drove my neighbors Tesla and still do, and it's just amazing. Great for my commute to work. I'd still have the LC for whenever. But it costs him $11 to go 250miles. No maintenance whatsoever. Just the way to go for me. Prices on EV's are dropping big time too.

I had the same feelings then I drove my neighbors Tesla and still do, and it's just amazing. Great for my commute to work. I'd still have the LC for whenever. But it costs him $11 to go 250miles. No maintenance whatsoever. Just the way to go for me. Prices on EV's are dropping big time too.

My former boss had a Model S with ludicrous mode or whatever they called it. I drove it - the off-the-line power is certainly impressive, my dislike isn't so much from a performance standpoint as the car was crazy fast and comfortable. I think my big issue was the same I have with most modern cars - I didn't feel like I was driving a car, I felt like I was driving a smart phone. It went fast, it pushed me back in my seat, but it did so with no real fury or excitement. It was planted, controlled, poised (really, everything you want) but it just didn't get my blood pumping.

For a long commute, I totally get it from an economic standpoint, but having driven a long commute for years, the only way I survived was to find some back roads home and flog the hell out of my manual to enjoy the drive. I drive the Philadelphia - Richmond corridor for work and slogging up and down 95 is my kryptonite. Before Covid I'd put about 2500mi a month of my (automatic) company car. While I can appreciate crawling along with an auto in DC traffic, I think I'd still, as a whole, prefer a manual gas burner.

Ah, and there it is - ford DID mess up - Sasquatch kit (lift, 35’s, 4.7’s, double lockers) only available in automatic...even though they went through the effort to give me a manual with a granny gear. Womp womp. Guess I'll have to lift and lock it myself ;). Only issue I see here is the front differential on "non-squatch" versions of the bronco are aluminum, the locked/4.7 axles get upgraded to cast iron. Hope there isn't a drastic difference in strength...

Last edited:
It was a great day fishing with surfishjoe down in Margate,NJ.. He took us out yesterday morning and we had fun catching some Mahi Mahi. Thanks again Joe!

20200718_162910.jpg

20200718_163026.jpg

Nice!

Here is your chance to bust my balls or be helpful. I'm a cat guy and we are looking to get a fancy pedigree cat. Anyone have one? What is it and tell me all about it?

Ah, and there it is - ford DID mess up - Sasquatch kit (lift, 35’s, 4.7’s, double lockers) only available in automatic...even though they went through the effort to give me a manual with a granny gear. Womp womp. Guess I'll have to lift and lock it myself ;). Only issue I see here is the front differential on "non-squatch" versions of the bronco are aluminum, the locked/4.7 axles get upgraded to cast iron. Hope there isn't a drastic difference in strength...

Andy says this to me all the time "You have a wheeling rig with lockers, why do you need one on your daily?"
It finally stuck in my head and I ended up with the Tundra, I was very close to considering a FX4 package F150 or a Rebel package Ram 1500, Blasphemy I know! But I needed a truck to tow and do truck stuff with, not rock crawl. Save the money from the extra features you would put on the Bronco to build the 40 up more!

Andy says this to me all the time "You have a wheeling rig with lockers, why do you need one on your daily?"
It finally stuck in my head and I ended up with the Tundra, I was very close to considering a FX4 package F150 or a Rebel package Ram 1500, Blasphemy I know! But I needed a truck to tow and do truck stuff with, not rock crawl. Save the money from the extra features you would put on the Bronco to build the 40 up more!

The 40 has a limited number of mods that will be done to it. I never intended for it to be a full on wheeler - just somewhere in between a fun grocery getter/camping rig with some lightweight crawling built in. A lift and some lower gearing is just about as far as I’m taking it. Eventually I’ll endeavor to make it “prettier” but I want to keep using it off-road so I’ll never be investing in a $10,000 paint job either - I’ll probably tackle the rust and paint it in the garage. If it looks good from 20 ft and does what I want it to do, I’ll be a happy camper. IN FACT I never really intended to wheel this rig at all and was about to start on the bodywork before I met you guys :flipoff2: now all my money is sunk into wheeling stuff and the truck still looks like crap!

Chances are you’re 100% right - if I WERE to buy a Bronco it wouldn’t be a dedicated wheeler and probably wouldn’t have any need for lockers. Whether or not it would be a daily will depend on what the EPA says the fuel economy will be.

My bigger gripe was that I thought, for once, that a company had released a manual-trans vehicle and had actually invested in the platform. For years the only thing you can get a stick in is base model, no-option, “roll up window” vehicles. I know the art of “optioning” for a car company is to push people into the higher dollar models (combine 1 highly desired option with 5 less desirable ones and call it a higher trim) - but I was hopeful they wouldn’t “nerf” the 4cyl broncos too badly since they’re releasing them with such a heavy off-road lean.

Again, beggars can’t be choosers, I’m just glad there’s a manual at all - and even so, chances are I won’t be able to buy one for a good 5-6 years minimum and then it’ll be used - so Ford most certainly shouldn’t care about my opinion!

Here is your chance to bust my balls or be helpful. I'm a cat guy and we are looking to get a fancy pedigree cat. Anyone have one? What is it and tell me all about it?

Maine Coon cat - it’s like having two cats for the price of one. I have a couple of friends who have them (2 each) and they seem pretty laid back, which is good because they’re like 25-30lbs.

Last edited:
I'm a cat guy and we are looking to get a fancy pedigree cat. Anyone have one?

Check all the local shelters and adoption groups.
Don't buy a cat...

We had 11 cats over the first 50 years of marriage, up to 5 at a time. The last one passed, with a little help from me, just before we moved to Central PA in 2012. I'm a cat tolerator, not a cat aficionado, but cats seem to like me, so I've some experience with them. We've had purebred (non-papers) Siamese and a Sphynx, a no-hair, wrinkled up thing that was scary in the cark. Look it up. We also had tabbies and similar ilk. If you want to have a fun cat, get a (or another) Siamese or settle on something mixed breed. It's the maintenance that kills you, exotic genetic ailments, exotic treatment requirements and such. Avoid the cross-breeds, like the Bengals, like the plague. They raise the cost of living with them way too high -- they're still mostly wild. My $0.02 cents.

@jamarquardt22 - I actually have friends who work for Delaware Pet Rescue - they probably have a bunch of these cats in their house right now:

I could ask and see who they have if you're interested.

Growing up every cat my family has ever owned (2 growing up) just showed up at our house - had a Calico and a black one - no idea what breeds but the Calico was a really great cat, as cats go. Super friendly, playful, and affectionate - just destroyed the house and all our furniture. The black cat was probably 20 years old when it showed up and in not so great health - we (the kids) named him Midnight, my mom called her "Scurvy." She lived in the garage because she didn't get along with the Calico.

I'm definitely a dog guy but I'm not opposed to cats, if they're free. ;) We found the family Lab under a single-wide at a mushroom farm down the street too.

I vote Coon cat! Get one of those big bastards there pretty cool.

Norwegian forest cat, the base bread for MCs.
picked one up as a stray....very sociable, and very active in everyday family life, not quite as large as MCs...our male tipped the scales at 24lbs.

Last edited:
I love cats, absolutely love them. We currently have three, but at times have had as many as six, in addition to two dogs, and two kids.

It doesn't help that my mom is heavily involved in a rescue group in NJ, so every time we'd visit, she would be fostering kittens, or cats.

Out of our three current cats, two came from my mom, and the third I rescued, as a kitten, from some dirtbag who was going to shoot her.

the third I rescued, as a kitten, from some dirtbag who was going to shoot her.

Seems like a story there...

I have friends who have a “rescue Pitt bull” in the sense that they were moving, and this poor dog had lived her whole puppyhood chained to a spike in their neighbors’ yard, rarely fed, never walked or payed any attention to, aside from to be yelled at to stop barking. Just skin and bones. So the night before they moved they stole the dog.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom