Radio upgrade 77 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im sure that this is covered in some other threads, rookie mistake, but can't seem to find answer. Have the "hole" in the dash of my newly acquired 77 and want to install a new radio. Love to have a CD player, but not necessary. any suggestions for a decent unit would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adrian

Does the radio slot have the tabs? If so, you could use a "shaft style" radio and keep the OEM tabs. You may want to post a pic of the hole in your dash.

FWIW - Below is the "shaft style" unit I installed.
img_1818-jpg.1035250

Check out the RetroSound model two. Bluetooth, usb inputs, modern technology, but it looks stock & it fits in stock opening. Check out my build thread for pics installed.

I had problem in that the hole size in the dash of my 1982 FJ40 was smaller than the standard DIN size. So I went the a retro sound model 2 that worked perfectly for me. I ordered the universal size faceplate kit and trimmed it to fit. Looks good.

I bought the Pyle, and ended up putting the factory AM back in. It had dead spots in the volume control, the USB didn't work with iPhone, and reception wasn't that great. It will work in a pinch, but don't expect it to be very good.

I got this (this version is a newer model):

Pioneer MVH-X380BT In-Dash Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01463U20E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_tqJ8wb8QNYCJ6

I mounted mine in my Tuffy case but should fit the regular slot. BT enabled and AM/FM. No CD. Only about 1/2 as deep as normal head units. Removable face. Mine had like 14W per channel but I bypassed all that and got a good alpine amplifier. I can't remember what pages of my thread details the stereo build but it will give you some ideas. Subwoofer under the driver seat is really nice.

Pioneer MVH-X380BT In-Dash Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth Amazon.com: Pioneer MVH-X380BT Digital Media Receiver with Short Chassis Design and Bluetooth: Car Electronics

I mounted mine in my Tuffy case but should fit the regular slot. BT enabled and AM/FM. No CD. Only about 1/2 as deep as normal head units. Removable face. Mine had like 14W per channel but I bypassed all that and got a good alpine amplifier. I can't remember what pages of my thread details the stereo build but it will give you some ideas. Subwoofer under the driver seat is really nice.

This one looks good. Great reviews. The price is right too.

People still bother with CD's?

I almost feel like I'm cheating using CDs in a FJ40. I have cassettes which are period correct. I have late nineties Toyota head units that are two single DIN bolted together with side mounting brackets. My decision is use one with cassette with radio and add on CD in the glove box or vise versa. My 79's radio opening has already been cut up so plan on using the opening from from another cowl I have that was in a accident and only good from parts. Just widen the opening to the standard single DIN used in the nineties.

As for using CDs, unlike the digital storage systems that are commonly used today it doesn't shave the highs and lows off when the music is compressed. I'd rather listen to how the artist recorded it originally. Besides I have vintage audio equipment in my garage including turn tables and cassette changers.:meh:

Cool I still have my Nakamichi Cassette deck!!!!! Old school here.................

Cool I still have my Nakamichi Cassette deck!!!!! Old school here.................

Ya I have one of those as well in my collection. Need new belts.

Some of us are old school and still listen to the same music from the days when Cruisers were made. I actually don't own any music that is not on tape or CD.

Same here except for LP & 45s. Some that pre date CDs and cassettes. Never got into 8 track or reel to reel tapes.

I mounted mine in my Tuffy case but should fit the regular slot.

When you say "regular" slot are you speaking of a DIN opening or the smaller FJ40 opening? If this fits my 78 USA FJ40 with the lower dash pads and no cutting (of the FJ40 - I'm fine trimming the bezel) it sounds like a winner.

Good question - I did say "should" fit... Nice weenie word I know. What are the dimensions of the slot? Standard DIN is 180x50mm. I can measure mine tonight when I get home. It's certainly possible with the older versions the opening is too small hence people using the type with the two knobs.

I found this doesn't look like it will work:

Stock Radio Opening Dimensions.

Sorry to get hopes up. Since the unit is half depth you could probably find a spot for it elsewhere and it not look too out of place. I also saw a pretty cool solution where the guy ran a volume controller for his iPhone and ran that to an amplifier. Volume controller was hidden under the seat but easily accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom