Radiator - OEM or other? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey!

I need to replace the radiator on my 2000 LX470.

I have kept everything OEM thus far but I am doing some research and some suggest after market radiators may be better.

Anyone used an aftermarket radiator they have been very pleased with?

OEM for sure. Most people are still running their factory radiator after 200k miles. So... why take the risk with such a vital component of the cooling system?

The one thing to note is that not all online dealers will ship rads, shrouds, or fans due to Brown Santa not playing nice with the boxes.

I got mine from Olathe.

What problem did you have with Denso? I thought Denso was essentially OEM mfg without the Lexus name? I just installed a Denso in my LX470.
Denso is the OEM for a number of parts on the 100 series LC/LX, but it is my understanding that the OE radiator manufacturer is T.Rad.

My receipt for the new radiator replacement at a non-dealer local shop says the part number is "16400-50290" (for 07 LC). Does this mean mine is likely an OEM radiator, or can Denso/aftermarket radiator still be (legally) listed with this part number on receipt? (Mine doesn't have the foam around the radiator.)

Thanks!

My receipt for the new radiator replacement at a non-dealer local shop says the part number is "16400-50290" (for 07 LC). Does this mean mine is likely an OEM radiator, or can Denso/aftermarket radiator still be (legally) listed with this part number on receipt? (Mine doesn't have the foam around the radiator.)

Thanks!
If there is no foam its not a T.Rad from the dealer. Could be any brand… Denso, Koyo, etc.

What problem did you have with Denso? I thought Denso was essentially OEM mfg without the Lexus name? I just installed a Denso in my LX470.
It started leaking from the seams where the plastic meets metal. Noticed this just after getting home from a 4-week long trip, from Houston TX to Ouray CO, and then to Seattle WA. I drive my LC on long trips and to remote places, luckily nothing happened during a trip.

A short clip from Ouray -

It started leaking from the seams where the plastic meets metal. Noticed this just after getting home from a 4-week long trip, from Houston TX to Ouray CO, and then to Seattle WA. I drive my LC on long trips and to remote places, luckily nothing happened during a trip.

A short clip from Ouray -

Thank you. I’m in Houston. I’ll def keep an eye on it theu this summers heat and replace it in a few months with oem for peace of mind.

Thank you. I’m in Houston. I’ll def keep an eye on it theu this summers heat and replace it in a few months with oem for peace of mind.
Maybe there are fake Densos in the market, I really donno. Some had good luck with it. You never know.
Btw, the OEM replacement was made in Mexico (or somewhere in south America) I think.

Maybe there are fake Densos in the market, I really donno. Some had good luck with it. You never know.
Btw, the OEM replacement was made in Mexico (or somewhere in south America) I think.
About how many miles before it failed you think? 5k?

I’ve def heard of fake oem parts in the diesel world when ordering from eBay and stuff. Fingers crossed mine will work out.

About how many miles before it failed you think? 5k?

I’ve def heard of fake oem parts in the diesel world when ordering from eBay and stuff. Fingers crossed mine will work out.
Here is the post I made at the time I did it - WDYD - What have you done to your 100 Series this week? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-100-series-this-week.609679/page-1731#post-14634544

You can pressure test the system from time to time or before a trip for peace of mind. You can borrow the test kit from parts stores for no cost.

There is no way an OEM radiator for a Land Cruiser was manufactured anywhere but in Japan.

Denso is NOT OEM.

T.Rad is OEM. Has been since the beginning of time.

There is no way an OEM radiator for a Land Cruiser was manufactured anywhere but in Japan.

Denso is NOT OEM.

T.Rad is OEM. Has been since the beginning of time.
Good to hear that! It has a print 'Japan' but didn't see 'Made in Japan' anywhere.
img_20220929_214957-jpg.3131158

Some go with Mishimoto instead of OEM

Last edited:
Some go with Mishimoto instead of OEM

Just ordered my Mishimoto, I have switched to full aluminum whenever I can with my older vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom