Quick ? on thermostat housing plumbing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Redoing the plumbing on my 2FE and trying to decide which housing I'm going to run for the thermostat. I have a question about the 2F with oil cooler:

2F Oil Cooler.png

In this photo, cool water is flowing FROM the water pump -> oil cooler -> thermostat upper housing, correct? I don't really get that, because the upper housing port should be pressurized from water flowing out of the WP and through the block, then either through the bypass hose or thermostat, if it is open. However, water flows from the housing through the oil cooler into that lower port on the WP, then it is warm water.

Can someone please help me understand? I was wondering if I could use that small port (where 15777D clamp is shown) as a SUPPLY to my heater valve.

Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to avoid running the 3FE pump and thermostat, for a myriad of reasons I won't get into here.

:beer: Ramon

Water pump sucks coolant from the oil cooler.

The oil "cooler" is a heat exchanger. It's purpose is to rapidly heat up the motor oil & then keep it near coolant temperature. If the oil gets hotter than the coolant, the "cooler" will cool it. If the oil is cooler than the coolant, the "cooler" will heat it.

Don't plumb a heater tee off the oil cooler plumbing.

image.jpeg

Great explanation @Output Shaft - many thanks for the quick reply! That tells me what I need to know... I can use that t-stat port as a supply to my heater valve.

Oddly enough, the water flow diagram for the 3FE shows the flow is the exact opposite direction through the oil cooler.

:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom