Question about high beam indicator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
My '66 FJ40 hasn't had a high beam indicator in the dash for a long time. When I was working on the light switch recently, I realized that someone had run both the RY and RW wires to the headlight terminal on the switch. Looking at the writing diagram, it looks like RW should be hooked up, but RY should go to the indicator - is that right?

RY for the indicator light should come from the dimmer switch, not the headlight switch. Early trucks there should be two RY wires on the dimmer. One 14ga to the headlight high beam and one 18ga back to the indicator light in the gauge cluster.

So the two wires to the headlight switch were headlights and the gauge cluster lights. It was not the high beam indicator. And looking at the bundle of wires coming to the dash cluster, I can't find an RY one. Would it be in the bundle with all the gauge wires?

Or should I just say fxxx it and replace the 60 year old dimmer switch with the posts with something new and run a new wire.

Last edited:
Yes the RY wire should be in the bundle of gauge cluster wires. It'a possible someone removed it but, why would they? You can tap into the big RY wire anywhere in it's path and run it back to the indicator light.

One of my problems is that the guy that painted the truck red years ago painted all the cluster wires. I'll undo the bundle and see if I can find it.

Get some acetone, Goof Off, or some paint thinner. They will remove the paint from the wires so you can see what is what.

Tip: If the pain is thick, soak a tissue in the remover, and wrap it around the wire for a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom