Q? 1999 LX 470 4WD Won't Engage...Fuse, AHC Related? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1999 LX 470 will not go into 4WD. I can hear a click near the passenger side/glove box when I push in the button but no indicator light and no 4WD.

Did convert the truck to Bilsteins a while back...AHC Cartridge fuse in the box under the hood (relay?) and one other fuse inside were removed to kill the flashing AHC dash light.

Would removal of those affect the 4WD engagement....my guess is no just thought I'd ask?

Thanks

Well considering these trucks are all time 4wd, I doubt your 4wd is not working. What specifically isn't working?

Can you shift into low gear?

It sounds like your talking about the center diff lock button.

While in 4HI, keep exercising the CDL actuator by clicking it on/off and doing gentle figure 8's. If that doesn't work, you'll need to physically remove the actuator and work it. It's located above the t-case.

AHC and CDL not related in this manner.

Well considering these trucks are all time 4wd, I doubt your 4wd is not working. What specifically isn't working?

Can you shift into low gear?

It sounds like your talking about the center diff lock button.

Thanks...my oversight. The center differential locked (on) light does not come on when button is depressed. I haven't tried to put it in low.

Last time it snowed here tried it and the truck wouldn't drive in 8-10 inches which it would easily do when locked.

Is there some actuator that's stuck?

If the truck hasn't been put in 4 Low or the locker activated, then it's very likely just sticky. Get somewhere on loose surface, lock it, and turn a wide circle to see if that will get it to engage. Also, since you're thinking that's what activates 4x4 and driving with the center diff locked could harm your drivetrain, I would HIGHLY suggest spending some time browsing through your owner's manual to learn all about it.

While in 4HI, keep exercising the CDL actuator by clicking it on/off and doing gentle figure 8's. If that doesn't work, you'll need to physically remove the actuator and work it. It's located above the t-case.

AHC and CDL not related in this manner.

Thank you I will try that.

If the truck hasn't been put in 4 Low or the locker activated, then it's very likely just sticky. Get somewhere on loose surface, lock it, and turn a wide circle to see if that will get it to engage. Also, since you're thinking that's what activates 4x4 and driving with the center diff locked could harm your drivetrain, I would HIGHLY suggest spending some time browsing through your owner's manual to learn all about it.
Thanks I will try that...I have to admit I didn't know it was considered full time 4WD but have owned it for years and do know enough not to drive it locked in on dry roads etc.

hello
i am new here and i just bouth a 1999 lx 470.
i notice that the veicle was in the H gear while in drive (D) mode
i figure the H N L shifter should be in N for NEUTRAL all the time. and the regular shifter in the D position for normal daily driving. i try shifting the High to N while the other shifter was in neutral then went in to Drive and the vehicle wont acelerate, it would just rev but wont move.
i try the same steps with the L gear shift engage and on drive D same thing it would just rev like if it was in neutral. in other words the vehicle will only drive if the regular shifter is in the D position and the small H N L shifter is in H i dont know anything about this vehicle's could the transmission be stock or something? any ideals or help please thanks.

Last edited:
@static A few things to note:
Your LX470 is Full Time 4wd - power goes to all 4 wheels when you press the gas
the H N L shifter you speak of is the Transfer Case - in normal everyday driving this needs ot be in H (4H) offroad you shift into 4L if going up and down steep asents and descents.

Center Differential Lock Transfer Indicator Switch Problem SEE THE CENTER DIFF LOCK BUTTON HERE- CDL splits power 50/50 between the front and rear axle

This should only be pressed when in gravel or mud or snow NEVER used on dry pavement or you will break something.

When you put the Transfer Case (H N L shifter) into N you put the transfer case in Neutral.

Are you saying you cannot shift into 4L?
to shift into 4L you must be STOPPED. not moving and shift the transmission into N then pull the Transfer case down into 4L - if that does not work I do not have the knowledge to tell you what to try next.

I hope that is helpful. Again do not drive on dry pavement with the attached Center Diff Lock button pressed, you will see it light up on the dash when it is active.

Hope that helps

@static A few things to note:
Your LX470 is Full Time 4wd - power goes to all 4 wheels when you press the gas
the H N L shifter you speak of is the Transfer Case - in normal everyday driving this needs ot be in H (4H) offroad you shift into 4L if going up and down steep asents and descents.

Center Differential Lock Transfer Indicator Switch Problem SEE THE CENTER DIFF LOCK BUTTON HERE- CDL splits power 50/50 between the front and rear axle

This should only be pressed when in gravel or mud or snow NEVER used on dry pavement or you will break something.

When you put the Transfer Case (H N L shifter) into N you put the transfer case in Neutral.

Are you saying you cannot shift into 4L?
to shift into 4L you must be STOPPED. not moving and shift the transmission into N then pull the Transfer case down into 4L - if that does not work I do not have the knowledge to tell you what to try next.

I hope that is helpful. Again do not drive on dry pavement with the attached Center Diff Lock button pressed, you will see it light up on the dash when it is active.

that explains why the vehicle will only move when the HNL is in H and in D. all doe the D on the dash is not lid up P R N do light up going trew them exept the D. but i was curious and while the vehicle is park and i did try to put in L while in D Mode it just revs and it wont move. i never own one of this am just worrie i got a lemo, o and no the center diff lock is not on or has being push. thanks for the help i hope more people can guide me more this place is great.

Last edited:
@static Its common here for the D light to burnout no big deal.

I dont think you have a lemon, a transfer case failure from non offroading incident is rare

Find Gravel or dirt lot, shift the transmission into N then put the transfer case in L and I bet you it works just fine. Remember to put the Transfer Case back into 4H before hitting pavement again, 4L automatically activates the Center Diff Lock

thanks krice, ill give it a try this 3 day weekend. am a shame to say i live in the heart of socal so i would have to take a drive for testing that out. i hope am not freaking out over this lol ill check back in here for an update thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom