Putting a 1992 22re into 1986 4runner need hep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here it is guys I'm looking to put this 92 engine that has been rebuild from a donor truck into my 86 runner. I know the long blocks r the same. But my question is how much can I keep off of the engine and use in my runner. I know I have to use my harness and the injector r different but what else is different.

Here why I ask. My 4runner all of the vacuum lines have been capped off and I would like to restore it back to original as I can. My engine is on it's last legs and I need something else ( also I'm not able to rebuild it cause the block is crap and been done already once).

The truck I'm looking at I can get pretty cheap and everything is their but the guys has put all performance part and heads (LCE from top to bottom) did a great job on the engine but I know the long block will work but what else can I use from the truck.
Here's some pic of my engine bay and his. Any information would be great. Thanks guys
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406699341.202713.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406699361.918883.jpg

Swap everything. Harness and all. It's a lot of work but should be well worth it.
( I just swapped an 07 Hayabusa motor and harness into my 99 Busa )

The only problem I have with tha is I have go behind the dash and pull all the wiring and put the wiring from the 92 into my 86 dash. Thinking that too much of a head ache. So that 2 dash disassembly and reassembly. Was goin to put my engine in the lil truck and sell it as a beater or drive it til the engine blew

I would compare the two computer pin-outs to see what/if any pins line up. I believe after '88? the injectors change impedance and the plugs changed.
If you grabbed the '92 computer as well, you MIGHT be able to just move some wires around on the computer plug. I don't know if I would hold your breath though.

I think the easiest way is to just leave the engine harness attached to the '86 intake, swap it onto the '92 head/block. There will be a few other things to deal with, but that will take care of the majority.

One suggestion.

Keep the throttle body off the 92. Swap to the 86. Remove the TPS from the 86 throttle body. Remove the pawl underneath. Transfer pawl and TPS to the 92 throttle body. Scrap the AFV underneath. Reroute the plumbing to match the 92. Enjoy.

One suggestion.

Keep the throttle body off the 92. Swap to the 86. Remove the TPS from the 86 throttle body. Remove the pawl underneath. Transfer pawl and TPS to the 92 throttle body. Scrap the AFV underneath. Reroute the plumbing to match the 92. Enjoy.

Well, I left out a major detail. You also need to use the plenum from the 92 along with the throttle body.

The later TB swap is a good idea, as long as you have the time and patience to deal with it. I've done it now and it wasn't too bad. There is at least one really good thread over on Pirate with details.

But if you just want the absolute least downtime, just swap the intake from the '86 over as-is.

I put a 94 into an 85. I just swapped sensors, injectors and everything else I could to match the old engine/harness. Soldered in what couldn't be swapped. Didn't look at a single diagram and it ran perfect for about 5 years. It is now sitting on my garage floor waiting for a new home.

So the big issue will be the plugs on your 86' engine harness will not match the sensors on the newer engine. Do yourself a HUGE favor and research if the Later engine harness will work with your 86' ECU. By now your old harness is a bit worn, you may benefit from a swap-out. I've changed two engine wiring harness in my 86' Runner, it's really not that hard and you DO NOT have to go behind the dash' everything is acceptable from the passenger kick panel.

Honestly I would not be surprised in the least if you could swap over the later ECU and harness with no issues at all.

The later engine has the less troublesome idle air control valve though you will need to use the accelerator cable from the later engine, the early accelerator cables will not work on the later straight throttle bodies.

Good luck!
Corey

...you will need to use the accelerator cable from the later engine, the early accelerator cables will not work on the later straight throttle bodies.

I didn't need to change my accelerator cable on my '87 when I did the TB swap. It depends if you have that silly bell crank doohicky on the intake, which mine doesn't. I actually did put a brand new cable on mine, so I have my old one, if you want/need it.

This is what my intake looks like now:

20140804_115324_Android.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the replies. Still looking into this truck. I figure it would be cheaper to just swap but I would like to rebuild the engine myself. But who knows. Just enjoying the runner right now while it's running. But change to come soon.

I didn't need to change my accelerator cable on my '87 when I did the TB swap. It depends if you have that silly bell crank doohicky on the intake, which mine doesn't. I actually did put a brand new cable on mine, so I have my old one, if you want/need it.

This is what my intake looks like now:
Yeah I my 86' had that silly bell crank, new cable was close to $100.00, but now I don't have to worry about that stupid aux air valve.

We'll found a 1994 22re engine. My 86 engine finally blew and I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for the engine harness. Looked pretty much everywhere for an engine harness to swap in but they r just as bad as the one I got. Goin to build a new one. But need help finding a good place to find all new connector and a diagram to make a new harness. Planing on laying my harness out and coping it. Just need a place to find the pins and connector. Hopefully soldier the thing together and hope for the best. Or if anyone who know who makes a harness. Contacted several companies. But they want a arm and a leg for the harness.

Need list
Connectors
Diagram
Individual that makes 1986 harness or someone who wants to sell me a extra 86 harness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom