Projects car woahs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got the engine sorted out in the Cruiser and took it on the first run of the season to Hollister Hills with a group of Jeeps. Made it there without issue. Engine was running great. Go to start heading out and the transfer case popped out of 4lo, no big deal, got it into 4hi, kept going to the first hill climb. Waited for my turn, leaving enough space between me and the jeep in front of me so I could see my line. Switch it back into 4lo and start up the trail. We had gotten quite a bit of rain recently so I was expecting some drama on the way up, but I got way more than I bargained for. I had locked my hubs was in 4lo and no front wheel drive. (problem #1 for the day) With the help of a Jeep winching me up the hill I just about made it to the top when I had to winch myself up the last bit. I had noticed that my voltage on the battery had been declining, I had been watching this for a couple months suspecting my alternator was on the way out, but today was the day it decided to kick the bucket. (problem #2 for the day) No big deal there is an auto parts store about 20 minutes from the entrance and my buddy was nice enough to drive me and get a new battery and alternator. Installed the alternator without any issue and back on my way. We head to a couple obstacles and I manage well even though I am still not getting 4wd. I go to head out of the park and the car won't up shift out of 1st gear. (problem #3 for the day). I drive in first to the auto parts store, return the unused battery and the alternator to get my core charge back and called AAA.

Problem #1 - The transfer case is engaging the front driveshaft but neither hub seems to be engaging. I recently changed the diff fluid in both axles, but seems unlikely both my hubs would have gone out at the same time. Will have to diagnose this week.

Problem #2 - No big deal, alternators are easy enough to change, bought a 63Amp remanufactured alternator, will keep as a secondary after I order a HO one to replace.

Problem #3 - The transmission is a T-350, this is like the governor, which has a gear that will get stripped, or could be the vacuum modulator (less likely).

So if you got all the way to here. I am not familiar so much with the likely causes for the front axle to not engage. I suspect it to be the hubs, but think it would be really unlikely for both to fail. I plan on jacking up the car, shifting the transfer case into 4hi, locking the hubs and spinning the tires to see if the driveshaft moves. Trying this on both sides and then spinning the driveshaft as well and see if the tires move. I know the transfer case was engaging as the driveshaft was connected and when it was in 2wd would spin freely but in 4hi or 4lo would not. If neither wheel spins, likely causes. If only one spins then I know it would be a hub.

Thanks in advance.

If you put in 4wd, hi or low, with the hubs un locked and the frt driveshaft spins when it rolls, then it's not the tcase. If you lock both the hubs and the tcase is in 2wd and roll, and the driveshaft spins, it's not the hubs. If 1 lockout doesn't engage and the other does, you won't have frt drive. That's the characteristic of an open stk diff. The Easiest axle/tire will spin. The disengaged axle is the easiest to spin. You can just put it in 4wd and see if you can turn the d/s with out rolling it, same with locking the hubs.

Checked the front axle last night. It is as I expected. The transfer case seems to be fine as it will engage the front driveshaft when in 4Hi and 4Lo but locking the hubs I am still able to spin the tires when I used a lift to lift them up. Spinning the tires does not spin the driveshaft. So looks like I will be fixing the hubs and might as well rebuild the axle while I am at it.

Will be looking into the transmission tonight.

I can't comment on other probs but prob #1 may still be transfer case. I got stuck after wheeling around in what I thought was 4lo (w/hubs locked). Turns out I was going around it 2wd all day. Noticed my fronts weren't turning trying to get out of "puddle". I had to manually hold T-case lever all the way back to engage the fronts. My fluid level was fine so I guess I need to open her up. You might want to check that the lever is not just popping out of gear under load. It may function fine in your driveway. Try it on a mild trail then pull back on the lever. For me it was maybe 1/2 inch and I felt it engage right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom