Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are quite a few bumpers that work well with the upright winches, but I want something with a very clean, simple look. Pretty sure that I'm going back with the JT Outfitters bumper that I had on the '73, but may spray it smoke gray like the wheels.

Here's my former 8274 bumper, without the winch. Side note, this was in The Maze District in Canyonlands, NP in 2014. A magical place.
Moab2014.jpg

Carson,

Dave at 4+ Products makes some very simple but super sturdy bumpers made for the 8274, you might check his out: 4PlusProducts | FJ40 | Front Bumpers | Channel Bumpers

I have one on mine with a simple hoop, but you can get just a plain bumper with no hoop too.

Sounds like we have a few things in common. Besides the love for our 40's, I too drive metal tubes in the sky. I owned once upon a time, but no longer do, but then again, that might change as the princess wants to get a Stearman.

Got the new OEM donut gasket installed today. The old gasket was totally shot.
IMG_8273.JPG

I will say that this gasket design is a little bit odd. The steel ring is called a "collar" and slips onto the exhaust pipe after you slide the gasket over the flange.
IMG_8271.JPG

Here is a blurry parts diagram that shows the unintuitive order of installation (even though it is for a different model of Toyota exhaust). Surprisingly, there isn't a lot of info on 'mud or anywhere else about this particular setup. A lot of rigs don't even have the collar, and the gasket by itself can work according to some.
IMG_1705.PNG

Note, the inside of that exhaust pipe is clean as a bean.

A lot of rigs don't even have the collar, and the gasket by itself can work according to some.

Mine had the collar but i run without the collar. Couldn’t find any info so i just ran with the donut solo. 8 months now with no donut failure. This whole flange collar bit perplexed me for awhile. Now i feel like I should go back and reinstall it.

hOOter

Mine had the collar but i run without the collar. Couldn’t find any info so i just ran with the donut solo. 8 months now with no donut failure. This whole flange collar bit perplexed me for awhile. Now i feel like I should go back and reinstall it.

hOOter

Just run it and post up if it ever fails.

I'm not clear on the purpose of the collar.

Is that a gas collar only? I only replaced the donut which was included in my engine gasket kit so I’ll have to dig it out to see if I missed the collar. I’ve only pulled a few things out of the kit so i could have missed it.

I believe the collar provides some movement for the engine vs the exhaust. This limits the stress on the exhaust and manifold. Modern cars have the braided part in the down pipe.

I believe the collar provides some movement for the engine vs the exhaust. This limits the stress on the exhaust and manifold. Modern cars have the braided part in the down pipe.
Yes, this seems to be the most plausible reason for the collar, even though it can work fine without it. Toyota really overbuilt these little trucks, and I'm so glad that they did. Here we are with daily driver capability 40+ years later.

This thread is probably the deepest discussion on ih8mud about this, so thanks for posting up guys.

As mentioned before, I went with the JT Outfitters bumper, which comes in black. I decided to try something kinda fun and rattle can paint it a silver that is close enough to the factory bumper color to pay homage to the factory look, but not close enough to obsess over. This will give the rig a beefier bumper than stock, but still have the stock look while holding the Warn 8274. And it's the only one like it.
IMG_8293.JPG

This paint may gradually scuff over time, which I'm cool with. A little bit of weathering will look nice.

Next up is the winch install. Just spent $ 32 on Grade 8 and Grade 5 bolts at Ace Hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom