Builds Project: (Beige) 83 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all!
Happy New Year.
Well it’s been a awhile since i have updated this build thread.
That’s because I have just been driving it and enjoying the crusier.
And spent my New Year’s Eve in the ER due to kidney stones for three days. But all is good now.

I have a question?

Is this the correct seam sealer for the roof channel?
I am going to start and remove the old sealer and replace it with new sealer and possibly have the roof repainted.

image.jpg

Ok so I today I checked my vacuum reading on my truck!
Does this look correct? I’m at sea level.

040ECC07-EB0C-4484-9D13-A2F4C93122D6.jpeg

Yea it does. @Seth_O is tackling a similar thing on their thread. I hope you don't need a rebuilt carb like they did:

I had the carb rebiult already and replaced all my vacuum hose tubes. May have to dig down a little deeper and see if maybe I have an exhaust leak.
I checked on on the 60 faqs and it says 21 is the reading I should get.
Hmm...will look into what’s leaking.

Learn from my experience: skip the futzing around and build a smoke tester and use it. I spent maybe $30 in parts and an hour of my time and it works awesome. That will tell you immediately if you have a leak, and where it is.

I spent MONTHS chasing mine down only to find it was inside the carb.

Learn from my experience: skip the futzing around and build a smoke tester and use it. I spent maybe $30 in parts and an hour of my time and it works awesome. That will tell you immediately if you have a leak, and where it is.

I spent MONTHS chasing mine down only to find it was inside the carb.
I think I will. Is that on your build thread? Or do you have a list of parts I can get from you?

I think I will. Is that on your build thread? Or do you have a list of parts I can get from you?

I followed this one, it worked out great:

Too bad you aren't closer or I'd give you a hand in diagnosing. You're just far away enough, haha.

To answer your question, yes, that is a significant vacuum leak. There's only a few things that would cause that big of a leak, usually egr, pcv or brake booster vac lines, the line at the base of the carb is another. Have you ran through emissions diagram in fsm to verify the lines are routed correctly?

Post a few pics up and maybe we can help identify.

Too bad you aren't closer or I'd give you a hand in diagnosing. You're just far away enough, haha.

To answer your question, yes, that is a significant vacuum leak. There's only a few things that would cause that big of a leak, usually egr, pcv or brake booster vac lines, the line at the base of the carb is another. Have you ran through emissions diagram in fsm to verify the lines are routed correctly?

Post a few pics up and maybe we can help identify.
Well your not that far!
I have a new Egr, new Pcv, replaces that line at base of carb as well with new vacuum lines and gone over emissions more than a few times.
I’m suspecting it’s the brake booster. I have been noticing the brakes pedal gets hard at start up. Then goes to normal after it’s warmed up.

@mattressking the brake booster valve was replaced also and that hose.
Thanks for the heads up on the Brake booster.
Thanks for your offer also!
May take you up on it and drive to you if I don’t find it myself.

Washed Dusty up today!
I reflect on where I started with this rig and where it is now!
I gotta say I am quite happy I didn’t sell her. She has been good to me. I have taken it from point A to point B and back. And as far as point G and still has made it back to point A. She is not perfect as a lot of them out there. she has her flaws but I know each and everyone of them flaws. And I have a list. but everyday I drive it she puts a smile on my face.
However she looks with patina and dents.
I still get the thumbs up and and the “nice truck” from people. That in itself is a plus.
I have had a few cruisers in my past and have sold them for one reason or the other.
Whether good or bad. And I still regret selling them. But now I am happy, happy I kept this one and didn’t sell it.
Spent last few days teaching my daughter how to drive stick not by me asking. But because she asked and has a spot for them as well. she never liked this color but it has grown on her. She said
And funny I felt the same way. I didn’t like it when I first saw it. But it had to be saved. I saw beyond the disholeved. And the abandonment. To giving it a new life and enjoying it with my daughter and my girlfriend. And to keep me busy.
I have learned a lot from this forum and keep doing so!
Thanks all fir your input whether good or bad or indifferent. I still take it at a learning process.
You can never learn to much!
Just my update to this thread.
Cheers

1DA1E84C-3EB3-45BF-BBB5-304791308E1F.jpeg

image.jpg

Replaced the sheet metal screws on my rear seat backreast frame. And straighten out the curvy frame.

506B4D49-4463-47A6-8122-7EE2F8E3E5A9.jpeg

9A9DC0D4-3B5D-4D85-88A2-1541B4FA0163.jpeg

Pick’d up a second motor for “Dusty”
181k miles on it with some extras. And a 4 speed trans.
Or for a possible FJ55 project if I can find one.

B9108ECC-36F2-40F2-B240-410A7C8DE7E5.jpeg

D2DA39C2-F70A-4CE4-83CE-22449940AA22.jpeg

3DB9AAE2-5BB7-4C52-A611-A4C0B142371E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom