Price Check, Metal Building (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This ^^^^^^^
If you think it's bad in your state it nothing compared to coastal Calif.
I think what people fail to see is the world has become overpopulated. All to easy to blame the next guy/state
My guess is when you make your move from you current location you won't complain about the price you well sell it for.
I would also wager that most of the people that move form Calif. where not from Calif. they were just hear for the best paying jobs and the best weather. They make there money then they move on.
How do you think I feel, when I know my kids well never be able to afford to by a house where they grew up.
When I was a young man you could buy a house here for 40 to 50K now a starter house is 800 to 900k nice homes are in the multi Millions and most of them set empty except for a few week a year when those rich folks come for vacation.
Do I blame people for wanting to come to our nice little beach town, no it's called progress and you can't stop it and I won't be a hater, life's to short.
I wish you the best of luck with your new endeavor ;)

I'd say we are in agreement here. Those that have the means want to move to areas that offer them what they feel is the best quality of life. An unfortunate side effect of this is supply/demand economics in areas that were traditionally affordable. Again, no ones fault and very location specific.

This is not moving as fast as I had anticipated, so probably a good thing we decided on spring of 2022 for start of construction. Basically the building companies ask you to place and size the doors and windows, then they design/engineer around them. Since this is a bit more complicated than just a big box type shop, I had my architect come up with the exterior elevations. While this should have been easy, Great Western would NOT provide him with CAD files, so he had to use all of the specs/dimensions from their PDF file and recreate the design using his CAD software. They claimed they do not start using CAD software until they move on to engineering, but they cannot start that until we determine window and door placement. Kind of frustrating but we are getting it figured out.

Overall I like the elevations and window/door placement. One thing I am thinking about changing is the roof pitch on the lean too sections from 4/12 to 3/12. This will give the wall height of the center section another 1.5' of height, and probably allow a larger second story side window. That is really the only change I would make. I like the placement of the man doors, and while it would have been nice to have one of the bays be a "pull through" type, the slope of the shop site won't allow for that.

If anyone has some additional input for this stage that may make the shop more functional, I'll take it.

51416525256_73bf8b147e_z.jpg

img

While this should have been easy, Great Western would NOT provide him with CAD files, so he had to use all of the specs/dimensions from their PDF file and recreate the design using his CAD software. They claimed they do not start using CAD software until they move on to engineering, but they cannot start that until we determine window and door placement. Kind of frustrating but we are getting it figured out.

Ok, so how are they creating the PDFs? As an Architect, I create in my CAD software to issue PDFs of the design...

Overall I like the elevations and window/door placement. One thing I am thinking about changing is the roof pitch on the lean too sections from 4/12 to 3/12. This will give the wall height of the center section another 1.5' of height, and probably allow a larger second story side window. That is really the only change I would make. I like the placement of the man doors, and while it would have been nice to have one of the bays be a "pull through" type, the slope of the shop site won't allow for that.

I know that at least parts of Nevada gets snow. If you're in such a region, I'd stick with the 4:12 pitch to help shed that weight.

Construction is cyclical. Right now cost are high and everyone is working. Now is the time to sell, not to buy and build.

Estimate what the value of what you are going to store in that nice metal building and then estimate if it only cost you half as much to build.

Then if you believe it there are people saying the jab will kill 100 million people in the US. I hope it doesn't happen, but what do you think that will do to property values?

My crystal ball is clowdy, but I would not build now.

Ok, so how are they creating the PDFs? As an Architect, I create in my CAD software to issue PDFs of the design...

I know that at least parts of Nevada gets snow. If you're in such a region, I'd stick with the 4:12 pitch to help shed that weight.

Exactly. They had to use some type of CAD software to get through the initial design. They claimed it was their proprietary software and the files could not be exported. My architect has done a few metal buildings before and said some companies can be difficult to work with initially. I already paid them a non refundable 20% deposit so it's not like I am going to take their design and bid shop metal building companies. Hopefully the rest of the process goes well with them.

That is a good point about the snow loads, especially since the main gable will be shedding snow onto the lean too sections. I am in between Reno and Tahoe at 5000' so depending on temperature, some storms will dump 2-3 feet of wet, heavy snow while others will give us just a few inches. 2-3 degree difference between inches and feet. I'm probably going to pay a bit extra and have the wind and load ratings increased by another 15-20% just to play it safe.

Definitely discuss the loading with them. Remember that Codes are the bare minimum allowed - and often warrant increases. And I know some of those pre-fab people really cut it close for cost savings - often with poor results when things get bad.

In the late '90's, we got some heavy snows around here and the firm I was working for ended up doing a lot of roof inspections on pole barns, metal buildings, and other pre-fab structures the one year. People were up on roofs with snow blowers trying to get the snow off before it started melting and compacting. We were finding that the roof designs were right at the limit and then various things had been added to structures - additional lighting, a bit of storage in the trusses, and such. Those with too much additional load collapsed and even without additional loads quite a few structures were failing if not outright failed.

Definitely discuss the loading with them. Remember that Codes are the bare minimum allowed - and often warrant increases. And I know some of those pre-fab people really cut it close for cost savings - often with poor results when things get bad.

In the late '90's, we got some heavy snows around here and the firm I was working for ended up doing a lot of roof inspections on pole barns, metal buildings, and other pre-fab structures the one year. People were up on roofs with snow blowers trying to get the snow off before it started melting and compacting. We were finding that the roof designs were right at the limit and then various things had been added to structures - additional lighting, a bit of storage in the trusses, and such. Those with too much additional load collapsed and even without additional loads quite a few structures were failing if not outright failed.

Good advice. Thanks.

I've heard the same from my architect, that building to code is following the minimal requirements. Kind of like running the Rubicon on 33"s. It will get you by in ideal conditions, but if anything unexpected comes up then you are in trouble.

We also had a 1/100 winter in 2004/5 where it snowed 10' in 7 days at 5000'. I remember a lot of collapsed pole barns and metal buildings, probably for the same reasons. They were built *barely* to code to save money. Stick built tract homes seemed to fare just fine, but anything pre 1970 that wasn't an A frame was either having the roof shoveled or having issues. Lots of leaking roofs too during the melt from ice dams on the gutters.

Last edited:
The Codes typically still save you in less than ideal conditions, but it depends on what you're doing and - like you say - if you're running the Rubicon you probably don't want to just go with a stock setup. My experience has been that the pre-fab people tend to cut the line pretty close and do the calculations with the bare minimum to meet their price points - to the extent that adding a ceiling can overload them when the snow comes.

I tend to have these discussions with my Structural Engineer frequently:
Him: Well, code calls for xx live load and xx dead load.
Me: Better figure they're going to store stuff in the trusses and hang a bunch of things from the ceiling.
Him: Ok, we'll add xx% to the numbers.

The Codes typically still save you in less than ideal conditions, but it depends on what you're doing and - like you say - if you're running the Rubicon you probably don't want to just go with a stock setup. My experience has been that the pre-fab people tend to cut the line pretty close and do the calculations with the bare minimum to meet their price points - to the extent that adding a ceiling can overload them when the snow comes.

I tend to have these discussions with my Structural Engineer frequently:
Him: Well, code calls for xx live load and xx dead load.
Me: Better figure they're going to store stuff in the trusses and hang a bunch of things from the ceiling.
Him: Ok, we'll add xx% to the numbers.

Code was 120 MPH on wind rating, I had it increased to 150 MPH. Snow load was 55 PSF, I increased it to 75 PSF. For $15k, I think that was money well spent.

Just finished floor plans. RV/Quads/Etc are just stock images used by my architect for scale. The stair placement was tough for the mezzanine since it is 17' above ground floor. Not ideal but probably all that would work.

51512089072_9c9f810988_b.jpg

51513605759_d17bc85a77_b.jpg

If you’re looking to adopt, I’m available. I would love to have a garage that size !

If you’re looking to adopt, I’m available. I would love to have a garage that size !

Ha. I may put you to work changing out 2F/3FE cork oil pan gaskets.

Ha. I may put you to work changing out 2F/3FE cork oil pan gaskets.
Whenever I get out that way to see @spressomon I will gladly give you a hand. I've never been in your part of the country before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom