Previa Hose for Power Steering Return? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 93 landcruiser. I need a new power steering return hose. This is the hose that returns fluid into the side of the reservoir tank. I think it is coming from the cooler but I am not sure on that.

I called my local dealer, and they said the hose is only available as kit with the reservoir tank. So I searched on Mud and found threads where it was recommended to us a hose from a Previa.

The part number for the hose is 44412-28160.

So I was ordering the hose, and then found this post by Cruiser Dan:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...ing-return-hose-been-reshaped.html#post996759

That seems to say that the previa hose is not for the return line to the reservoir tank, but instead is for the line between the gear and the cooler. But I am not really sure that is what he is saying.

Can anyone clarify? What is the right hose to use for the power steering return line to the side of the reservoir tank? Is it the previa hose 44412-28160?

And while I am asking-- is there a replacement for the hose that comes from the bottom of the reservoir tank? I don't have a leak in that one, but I was thinking of replacing it at the same time.

Jared

The 44412-28160 can be cut down and used to replace the hose between the gear and the cooler inlet. I have not been able to find a suitable substitute for the hose from the cooler outlet up to the reservoir. The only way to obtain the "correct" hoses is to buy the power steering cooler assembly.

Crap. So what is the next best solution? Generic un-molded 3/8 or 10mm hose? Or is there an after market hose?

And I guess I have the same question on the hose that comes out the bottom.

3/8 is too small. If you could find 10mm it would probably work. You need to pay attention to routing, the original hose is moulded.

The larger hose from the reservoir to the pump inlet is serviced.

Wow. If I known this I would have been more careful with the hose. I took off the hose to do a power steering flush, and it cracked in the process.

Maybe I should just buy the kit? My dealer quoted me just under 140 for the reservoir with the two hoses. That is not too bad, but it is probably worth trying to find 10mm generic unmolded hose and trying that first.

There is no "reservoir kit" The hoses do not come with the reservoir.

There is no "reservoir kit" The hoses do not come with the reservoir.

Double Crap. This is what I get for calling someone other than cruiserdan.

So the only way to get the correct hoses is with the cooler assembly. Can you give me an idea as to how much that costs? Does that include all the hoses?

I will try my local BAP for generic 10mm hose. The routing is not too crazy, so it will have to be worth a try.

The cooler assembly, 44420-60221, lists for $356.79, net $267.59.

It comes with the hose from cooler to steering gear and the hose from cooler to reservoir.

It the cooler its self is not rusty and rotten I would see if I could find some 10mm transmission hose for the cooler to reservoir run and use the Previa hose for the cooler to gear run.

For less than half the price of the OEM cooler (which I think is inadequate for anything more than DDing or mall crawling), you can install an aftermarket cooler and be done with this issue and get better cooling performance for the PS system.

Wow. If I known this I would have been more careful with the hose. I took off the hose to do a power steering flush, and it cracked in the process. ...

If it cracked coming off, it was done, life would have been short. I have used generic, domestic size, power steering hose with good success. Just be careful of routing, support with zip-ties, etc, zero issue.

FYI: I can say that Gates Green Stripe is not an adequate type of hose for Power Steering applications... Maybe in an emergency limp-home mode but don't run one on a DD rig.

I mounted a "frame" two pass cooler to replace the OEM paperclip version and redid my low pressure hoses, just be sure to use good hydraulic hose and clamps...

If it cracked coming off, it was done, life would have been short. I have used generic, domestic size, power steering hose with good success. Just be careful of routing, support with zip-ties, etc, zero issue.

I can't find 10mm hose, so it looks like it will be 3/8. I hope I can squeeze it on-- the bottom connection will be hard to get too.

When you used this hose were you able to reuse your hose clamps?

Thanks

Jared

I can't find 10mm hose, so it looks like it will be 3/8. I hope I can squeeze it on-- the bottom connection will be hard to get too.

When you used this hose were you able to reuse your hose clamps?

Thanks

Jared

The std stuff went on, a little lube helps. Yep, a pain to get to. IIRC used new screw clamps. The rig in question was Rob's, blew on White Rim trail in Moab. A hunk of 1/2" water hose from Michael's spares box made it home and until new/proper hose could be procured. So we had the pleasure of doing it twice.:hillbilly:

Thanks Kevin.

I can't believe that no one carries 10mm hose. How can that be so hard to find?

Jared

You will not be able to reuse the original clamps. The OD of the 3/8 hose will be too small. You can reuse original clamps when you substitute the Previa hose.

Thanks Kevin.

I can't believe that no one carries 10mm hose. How can that be so hard to find?

Jared

It is not that big of a deal, only what, .02" diff?

You will not be able to reuse the original clamps. The OD of the 3/8 hose will be too small. You can reuse original clamps when you substitute the Previa hose.

I have used original clamps on Std hose before, it is a "define the hose" thing. Some hose is thicker wall than others, so it works with some, doesn't with others.:meh:

Dan, do you actually have the correct hose? Although it probably would not be worth shipping. . . .

I have the Previa hose. I also stock the complete correct oil cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom