Presidents' Day long weekend adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can bring guac and some other accessory items. Just let me know.

Do we have a head count yet? That'll help determine food. My brother is flying in to go with me so it's two for my crew.

We have about 12 trucks if all show up. Most are solo so I doubt we will get much past 16 people. I also assume a few will drop as we get closer.

Ran across this interesting site:

Mojave Road in the Mojave desert - DesertUSA

The site has some history of the road and this map of a shorter 14.2 mile bypass that goes by the Leiser Ray Mine.

A PDF with a map and road log is available for download here

upload_2018-1-23_17-47-10.png

Last edited:
I'm definitely in!! I have two friends that would like to come. One of them have a Tacoma too. Can they come along too?

I'm ok with friends but they are your responsibility, make sure they are advised of the trip requirements (ham radio for instance) plus following the rules of the park regarding fires, trash and leaving things as they were or better.

Looking forward to the trip..

I'm also in. Assuming we will be leaving from the west valley, is there a meet up location/time? Most likely be solo in the 80 or 200...

Lorna and I spent thanksgiving 2016 camped at the Leiser Ray mine. Fantastic views to the south and numerous vertical mine shafts with bat enclosures. The mill is gone but the foundation makes for a wonderful camp site. Set up the Kimberly fully sheltered from wind and utilized the fire ring. Plenty of room for numerous rigs in the vicinity. The mine is a very short distance from the main trail. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Pic of Leiser Ray mine campsite.

PICT2289.JPG

I vote that Ron shows everyone how it's done, Tide Pod down the hatch and then watch out below

Is she road worthy yet?
Yes sir! I've only put a couple hundred miles on it in the past 2 weeks since getting it done so I'm still doing some shakedown stuff. Other than throwing a code for the catalytic converters or O2 sensors (which was a prior problem) it's doing very well. Looking forward to this trip!

I will be driving to our starting point on Monday or Tuesday this week to look at our camping options for night one. My plan is to have a site that is easily located by anyone who does not have Friday off to begin the run and desires to either meet up Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Our travel plans will put us very close to 200 miles of dirt driving, most vehicles should not have a problem with gas but to add a little safety factor I'm suggesting that a few of us bring fuel cans.

More to come in the next few days.