Prado 120 Gauge Cluster Swap Into GX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any update on it being able to display in freedom units?

Looks really nice! Props on being the guinea pig but dang, think I have to pass on this mod as I couldn't bring myself to cut a relatively new dash.

Cheers,

Its been a fun project. I love doing these kinds of fun new mods. I was pretty confident it was gonna be doable based on other 120 concersions and the fact that the Prado side trims are all the same and the Tesla screens fit all the same. I'm so glad it worked out though since I cut my dash. :p Of course it's a cracked dash that never got replaced....

An evening shot:

View attachment 1868282

MMM hamburgers.

Looks really nice now that someone has proven it can be done I'm seriously wanting to do this. Figure out that C-F thing though please.

@BukkakeAisu - have you found how to change it? I still haven't had any luck.

However, I did notice this when I looked up real close at the display...you can clearly see a spot that shows as °F right below the °C. (Below the clock.) Really makes me think this thing can be switched....

Last edited:
And I took both my old one and this field monitor one apart looking for dip-switches or jumpers or something (theres none) and just compared them. The screens are quite different. And I found it interesting that the field monitor unit had this smaller "daughter" card connected in, and yet, even though the original one does not have the same thing, it has provisions for one... both the connection on the board, and the extra area in the back of the box.

Another angle Ive been working is trying to track down an owners manual. I've been able to find one for the non-field monitor type and it explains how to make changes on that type so I'm thinking maybe theres an owners manual for the field monitor type that explains how to change these settings....

No luck finding one just yet.

I have it in my Prado and installed it myself. Was expensive as fuuuu for the "computer" portion but as that link shows you, it's totally plug and play with some minor dash cutting (hobby knife will get it done in mins)

I looooooove having all that info on display so despite the cost, I think it was totally worth it.

View attachment 1841408

BTW, there is room to run lines behind it so I might eventually modify the shroud for mounting some hardware like a radar detector or even just power cables for accessories.
Looks great, but what does that graph actually display?

Might be a dumb question, but what is that graph actually displaying?

Graph shows delta over time/distance for whatever you've currently got selected to display. Heres a couple examples I took while I was travelling the last couple days. (Sorry, not the greatest, i was driving when i was thinking about it and the sun was shining pretty good. :-/ )

First one is "RANGE"
20190224_151539.jpg

Second one is "ELEVATION"
20190224_151548.jpg

Graph shows delta over time/distance for whatever you've currently got selected to display. Heres a couple examples I took while I was travelling the last couple days. (Sorry, not the greatest, i was driving when i was thinking about it and the sun was shining pretty good. :-/ )

First one is "RANGE"
View attachment 1913054

Second one is "ELEVATION"
View attachment 1913055
Oh, now I get it. Thanks for the info. I’m going to keep my eye out for one.

3- The field monitor top cover overlaps the dash middle speaker grill cover about 1/4". It fits well enough I wont be touching it, but one could trim one or the other and get them to fit perfectly.

Looking down into the dash speaker hole, speaker removed, you can see how far it extends into this space. A shallower/smaller speaker could possible work here:
View attachment 1867921

So what/where is the factory speaker hitting? It is the connector for the multi display of is it the metal housing of the display itself? I'm very interested in this mod

So what/where is the factory speaker hitting? It is the connector for the multi display of is it the metal housing of the display itself? I'm very interested in this mod

Body of the field unit extends into the speaker space and was hitting before fully flush in the front. The connector/wiring would as well.

Hmmm ok. So the factory speaker definitely wouldn't work in that case. Also where did you buy the front and top trim pieces. I found them on ebay but they're about $100 each. I think that I found a manual that has info on how the field unit works. I'm trying to translate it

I spent many hours searching for a field monitor manual. Had a buddy that is fluent in Spanish looking for one on Spanish sites as well. Seems a lot of Latin American Prados got these units, in addition, mine came from Spain. That would be awesome if you found one @captainva !

I got my top cover and front trim through SSG.ASIA - AUTO SPARE PARTS ONLINE STORE | DUBAI, UAE. I can't remember exactly how much I paid... I'll check and post back up in a bit.

Wow both covers are about $100 shipped on there. Thanks for the link!

I spent many hours searching for a field monitor manual. Had a buddy that is fluent in Spanish looking for one on Spanish sites as well. Seems a lot of Latin American Prados got these units, in addition, mine came from Spain. That would be awesome if you found one @captainva !

I definitely found one. I'll upload it later tonight after I translate

Wow both covers are about $100 shipped on there. Thanks for the link!

I definitely found one. I'll upload it later tonight after I translate

That site actually does shipping a bit funny. That initial price is for part and shipping to *their* warehouse. They then will calculate shipping to you from UAE once you tell them you are ready for X items to ship. I've used them a lot cause they seem to have much better reach and options and pricing for finding some parts, but, there have been a couple times where once shipping was added in, the price was a wash (and even *more* costly) vs. just buying on partsouq on ebay or their site.

What language is that manual in? I look forward to seeing what you come up with from it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom