Power steering whine at 10 O'Clock position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This started fairly recently, when I turn the wheel through the 10 O'clock position, I hear something akin to a power steering whine and then it goes away. If I turn it to the 10 O'Clock position and hold it there it doesn't whine. It's worse when it's cold and better when warm, but doesn't go away 100%.

When it's really cold (single digits in the morning), it makes a sound as if something is loose and crunchy in there. Makes me think of a what a disintegrated steering bushing might sound like. But it only makes this sound when really cold.

Had the power steering fluid drained and filled at the dealer about 6 months ago (~6K miles). Fluid level is fine. Anyone experience this before? Am I looking at a power steering pump going out or steering rack? What is the recommended course of action?

Power steering pump. There's a great thread on here if you search rebuild. Really straightforward if you have a bench vise and basic tools. Think it was $100 in parts with the Rock Auto kit, OEM SEALS, nut and the shaft.

Thanks @SHREDwagon - I'll search for the rebuild thread and RA kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom