Power mirror switch buttons backwards? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I've had my truck the passenger side mirror has been inoperable. I manually pushed the mirror into the right spot and moved on. well today i finally got around to pulling the door panel.

Found the chassis side 3-pin mirror connector just hanging. found the other end on the mirror side and plugged it in. I thought yay, glad its that simple! Nope.

When i went to adjust the mirror at the button, I found the left/right and up/down buttons are swapped! Checked the connector and it only plugs in one way so its not like i plugged it in backwards. What the? Undid the mirror bolts from the door and found the mirror used to be Red but has been repainted Blue. So sometime in this trucks previous life someone replaced this entire mirror. Is it possible that the wiring changed at some point over the years, or there is a way to change Pin 1 and Pin 2 behind the mirror glass? I think it should be as simple as swapping those pins either at the connector at the mirror itself (if possible)

1696720056978.png

If your left mirror works correctly, take it out of the housing (single screw accessed through hole on bottom of mirror housing) and look at the wire order to the mirror motor. The passenger side is not connected correctly to the mirror motor (out of sequence). There are 3 wires - blk/brn/red IIRC. And they must be in the correct order.
Ask me how I know. lol

And as for the door end of that wire harness, the clip thereon could be missing causing the connector to become detached. I used a small hose clamp to squeeze the two ends of the connector together at the joint then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape to help support and somewhat seal it from the environment.

Last edited:
yup, left mirror has worked correctly before and still

haven't taken apart a mirror yet, so thanks for the tip on the screw. i'll check the wiring back there. sounds like it is simple to change the wires at the motor vs in the door cavity

when i had the drivers door apart, i didn't take notice of any strain relief clips on the mirror connector. wish i had, but i was in the drivers door first working on the window regulator and wasn't focused on the mirror wiring

popped the glass out and swapped the outside wires; brown and black. that fixed it. i basically guessed at what wires to swap as the EWD doen't reference these colors and i wasn't pulling the door back apart or the kick panel to check wire continuity.

before:
PXL_20231008_141134716.jpg

after:
PXL_20231008_144638905.jpg

drivers side for comparison:
PXL_20231008_141744507.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom