possible to replace upper windshield molding without pulling windshield? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting a lot of wind noise from the top center of my windshield. It looks like the rubber lip on the trim at the top is hardened up and isn't making a good seal anymore against the body. I've messed with the flexible part of the trim a bit, the noise will get a bit softer but not go away, so I know that is where the issue is.

The part is "WINDSHIELD UPPER REVEAL MOLDING, 75531-60030". The FSM says the part is installed after the windshield is glued in, with a bead of sealer whose main function seems to be holding the trim strip in place.

Has anyone replaced this part without removing the windshield on their LX/LC100? Searching around, I could not find an answer here or on the web. It LOOKS like it could be possible, but if I yank the part, it's not reusable and will be trashed - then I am 100% committed!

Thanks!
Mark
Orlando, FL

I don't know the answer but I have the piece. Here's a cross sectional pic, if that helps.

IMG_1484.JPG

Yep, the sealer holds the ridge on the bottom right to the windshield when it's pressed into place.

bump. Going to be needing to do this soon as well.

Following. I think I have the same problem. I have put some flowable silicone to help with the noise, but the noise still there.

I am getting a lot of wind noise from the top center of my windshield. It looks like the rubber lip on the trim at the top is hardened up and isn't making a good seal anymore against the body. I've messed with the flexible part of the trim a bit, the noise will get a bit softer but not go away, so I know that is where the issue is.

The part is "WINDSHIELD UPPER REVEAL MOLDING, 75531-60030". The FSM says the part is installed after the windshield is glued in, with a bead of sealer whose main function seems to be holding the trim strip in place.

Has anyone replaced this part without removing the windshield on their LX/LC100? Searching around, I could not find an answer here or on the web. It LOOKS like it could be possible, but if I yank the part, it's not reusable and will be trashed - then I am 100% committed!

Thanks!
Mark
Orlando, FL

Found my issue, wasn't the upper seal. Was loose side pieces.

So won't be seeing anymore posts from me on this thread. Thanks!

Mark

I just redid mine this weekend. Previously, mine would pull out after driving on the highway, creating a bit of wind noise.

I went on Amazon and ordered a tube of 3m Windo-weld. Pulled the rubber weatherstrip entirely, cleaned that plus the top edge of the windshield using mineral spirits to get the old adhesive off. Dried everything, then put a thin line of the new adhesive in the weatherstrip and pressed back into place. Let it cure for 24 hours and it was good to go.

I just redid mine this weekend. Previously, mine would pull out after driving on the highway, creating a bit of wind noise.

I went on Amazon and ordered a tube of 3m Windo-weld. Pulled the rubber weatherstrip entirely, cleaned that plus the top edge of the windshield using mineral spirits to get the old adhesive off. Dried everything, then put a thin line of the new adhesive in the weatherstrip and pressed back into place. Let it cure for 24 hours and it was good to go.
I hate to bump this, but are you referring to the very top piece of weatherstripping on the outside (top) edge of the windshield? Mine has a considerable amount of wind noise.

A couple of quick questions:
  1. How did you pull it? Heat gun, screw driver? Mine seems pretty tight.
  2. Did you have any wind noise before fixing?
  3. Lastly, considering this post is over a year old, did your fix last?

Thank you!

I hate to bump this, but are you referring to the very top piece of weatherstripping on the outside (top) edge of the windshield? Mine has a considerable amount of wind noise.

A couple of quick questions:
  1. How did you pull it? Heat gun, screw driver? Mine seems pretty tight.
  2. Did you have any wind noise before fixing?
  3. Lastly, considering this post is over a year old, did your fix last?
Thank you!
See my reply, above - Check that the windshield side trim is correctly fitted and sealed, with the right factory rivets (NOT screws), and has the correct rubber seal over the rivets. If you haven't done that first, don't mess with the windshield trim yet.

See my reply, above - Check that the windshield side trim is correctly fitted and sealed, with the right factory rivets (NOT screws), and has the correct rubber seal over the rivets. If you haven't done that first, don't mess with the windshield trim yet.
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply!

My side windshield trim is intact, the rivets are in place, and the seal is over the rivets. I was fortunate to have the windshield replaced 3 years ago by a Lexus dealership.

The top trim is what is causing the trouble. I sprayed the top trim with a pressure washer to verify that there is a gap/leak of some sort at the very top. The wind noise is at the very top, to the right of the steering wheel.

I'll probably pull the trim this weekend since I have a piece on the way. @SPACEBOY, I'll let you know what its like pulling it. Planning on using a heat gun to soften it, then just use a fine handled screwdriver to get it out of the channel. 75531-60030 is the P/N for the top moulding.

My 100 is at home and I am at work, but I am pretty sure I remember the ends of the top trim piece go UNDER the side trim pieces? Not a big deal, but you might need to pull the side trim to do it right. Order some side trim rivets if you do...

My 100 is at home and I am at work, but I am pretty sure I remember the ends of the top trim piece go UNDER the side trim pieces? Not a big deal, but you might need to pull the side trim to do it right. Order some side trim rivets if you do...
Hmm, maybe thats the source of my wind noise then. Mine barely makes it to the trim edge. I guess sun shrinkage?

Here is someone else's 100, but it should look like this:

Here is someone else's 100, but it should look like this:

Yeah thats completely junk then.

If a Lexus dealership did that, they owe you to properly reseat that windshield, done right. That is crap work. Looks like they didn't replace the top seal, but reused it? And cut it to fit, sorta, on one end.
Was not under my ownership at the time, sadly. I tried to get the same dealership to fix something else they messed up (removed Lexus Link and didn't put the Homelink module back), and they offered no such help for a $12 part and 10 min fix.

Anyway, I'll replace the rubber on the outside, just not the rain rails that are actually what is riveted into the glass. I might put some flowable silicon down, but I really hope just the rubber pieces fix it. Thank you for the thread with pics, I know now what it SHOULD look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom