Possible Head Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've owned our new to us 91 FJ80 land cruiser for little a year. The vehicle has done us well and we use it as back up vehicle. The wife drove it about a week ago and said the engine got a little warm while picking up kids from school.
I go start it and it's now a steam generator:censor: :bang:. The thing will blow white smoke for a while and then stop. When I say awhile it'll blow white smoke (steam) for a good 10-15 mins while driving, then it'll stop. The coolant level seems to be going down, as I've had to add to the coolant system.
The oil is still brown/ normal oil color, with no milky color to it or the oil fill cap.

I'm at a cross road... Should I replace the head gasket and related items or put the 92 5.7 Chevy engine, 700R trans, and mark adapter in that I have sitting in storage ( I bought the small block from a fellow member here, who had it in his Fj62 and did a LS swap).

I know this subject is a highly debated...:deadhorse:

Thanks for a your guys input on this subject,

Carl

Calling @jonheld and @LS1FJ40 !!!!!

This sounds like a head gasket on a 3FE? WTF? That does NOT happen!!!!!!!

It is possible that the location of the leak is in a location that may not be causing oil contamination YET.

Let these other guys weigh in here. Typically your engine is not prone to head gasket issues like all the 93-97's.

Good Luck!

Make certain you've got spark on all cylinders as well. Unburned fuel can collect in the exhaust system and present itself as a white smoke until it burns away.

But....I suspect the headgasket is a better candidate. Is there any particular smell to the exhaust? (smell of fuel or a sweet smell)?

It may not be the head gasket. Some head castings develop hairline cracks over time. There is a recent thread about this issue. I'll find it and post it in a reply.

I say skip the troubleshooting and throw that Chevy in there!!

But seriously, I wouldn't dump any money into the 3FE (I have one...) if I had a V-8 ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom