Possible Group Buy - Flat Steel FJ40 Rear Fender Protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Send me a PM with your address if you want a tracing. I didn't get to it this weekend, as I had planned, but I'll do it after work one night this week.

I did look at how it would go to move the fender protection forward to a more stock location. The only issue I can see is that the 2nd hole from the bottom would be inside of a square tube portion of the tub. This picture, with the quarter removed, shows the square tube. The mounting hole in my application is just aft of this, inside the fender. All of my mounting holes are inside the fender, but if you moved it forward, the 2nd lowest hole would move into this tube. You could use a nutsert, or cut a hole into the bottom or rear of the tube so you could put a regular nut on the back of the hex bolt.

PM already sent with address.

Yes, the 2nd lowest bolt hole will be inside the support member....fortunately my PO already thought of that and hogged out the fenders so much so the rear of that support is exposed :rolleyes:. I probably will be able to get a nut on the back side through the exposed opening.

Any updates, Ed?

Oh yea. Lost my TiVo contract due to some budget cuts, so I've been busy scrambling for other contracts.

I'll motivate and send PMs to the list and make sure we'll all still on board. No reason I shouldn't have time to work on this. I've got work, but not really full time right now.

I'm in. Sent you a PM Ed.

I'm finally getting around to this, had to make up some rear corner patches, still have to patch the front of the quarter panel, but getting close.
20140628_172912_resized.jpg

Slickrock is maybe looking at getting a pair of these fabricated. Maybe it's time to see if anyone else wants a set. I haven't asked the shop, but I don't have any reason to think there would be a price increase.

Just trimmed mine a bit on the front (as instructed), cleaned the last of the scale off and hope to have primer on them tomorrow. Have some button head bolts on order so should have these mounted tomorrow or Friday. Will post some pictures when I do.

Hopefully won't be that long. I've got a bit more metal to look at on the rocker and need to touch up my doors which are in good shape but the color doesn't match and that's about it. The drought is working in my favor.

What are the chances I could get someone to mail me a paper template folded up in a standard envelope?

I really like these but wonder if I have enough rear fender left to mount them.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409019468.173225.jpg

If I've got some time over a beer later I'll do a photo-chop for you.

Also, they'd fit/work better if you moved your axle back, even if just by drilling your perches 1" or 1.5" forward. Look at how much room you have between your body seam and your tire, then look at my rig here:

attachment.php

You can kind of eyeball where it bolts with respect to the marker light too.

Love your fat steelies.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a set. How expensive are they to ship? Can you PM me fast eddy?

Let's try to keep it here so others can benefit from the answers until the plans are more firm, okay? Shipping was a PITA the last time. I had to make crates ($). I think it was about $50. Phillyfj40? Remember? I was going to try to bolt them together this time and see if greyhound would take them. Turf & Surf is coming up. Maybe we could get some mudship shipping.

Here's Garth's blue berry with green kinda-rusty flares. All are done by copying the flares with a bit of a rough outline from a scaled version of my pic to yours. They look cartoony, but they are very close to scale size.

The first is with flares. The 2nd has some of the flare layer erased so you can see where the sharp corners are. The third is with the axle moved back a little.

Since you can see that it covers the sharp corners well, you could move it that much forward if you don't want to move the axle. On the other side, you might, in this case, have to clearance the steel around your gas tank filler. Phillyfj40 seemed to come out ok there.

Where you need some sheet metal is a lip of quarter panel that comes down below the fender enough to drill through. 3/8". I had just enough and a couple of my nylock nuts are tight enough that I can't get a socket onto them; have to use an open-end. At least one of my holes, maybe two, are partial circles, that break through the edge of the metal.

If you were to have zero lip there, I could have the top holes punched a little closer to the edge, and you could mount it high, with the top row of nuts on the inside of the tub. There are a few ways to make them fit.

Edit: Maybe with your sliders, and the cut tub in the back, maybe they'd be best left as they are _and_ bolted with the top row inside the tub.

fj40_0.jpg

fj40_1.jpg

fj40_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Third pic looks pretty good...

Unless your driveshaft is already about to fall out and your brake lines are too short you should be able to move the axle back that far with nothing more than a drill and a wrench for the u-bolts.

My rear springs are flipped so my axle is back a few inches, no problems for me around the gas filler. I've got about 1.5" between the front edge of the flare and the body seem behind the doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom