Possible Group Buy - Flat Steel FJ40 Rear Fender Protection (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine are hacked and the plastics are on their last legs. Did I miss the price?

Thanks.
So unless it’s crazy expensive, I’m in.

Thanks for doing this Eddie.

Ian

@Fast Eddy here is what I’m working with. I have almost no lip on the front and top, flares used to be attached above fender wells. What do you think?

View attachment 3346468

View attachment 3346469
Probably the perfect application.

Measure how far up from the lip to the flat top above the tire and from the lip to a line extended along the lower body line of the rocker. I'll measure mine later tonight.

Mine are hacked and the plastics are on their last legs. Did I miss the price?

Thanks.
Need to ask the vendor. It changes with the price of steel. Four sets fit in one sheet. That's why we need at least 3 to do it. I pay for the 4th set and I've never had a set sit around for long.

Let me know if you don't want the holes counter sunk for some reason.

I will not be doing this.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Probably the perfect application.

Measure how far up from the lip to the flat top above the tire and from the lip to a line extended along the lower body line of the rocker. I'll measure mine later tonight.

From the lip up to the top of the fender well is about 1/2”, and from the lip above the tire down to the bottom of the rocker panel if measured vertically would be about 17”.

From the lip up to the top of the fender well is about 1/2”, and from the lip above the tire down to the bottom of the rocker panel if measured vertically would be about 17”.
@Fast Eddy thanks for doing this. We appreciate everything.

Mine has about 7/8" or so from the lip up to the fender, but I'm not using all the space. I'm pretty confident you can make it work in 1/2".

At the front edge, I also have very little sheet metal and at least one hole partially overlaps the edge. I use a washer on the back of that one and it works fine. If you were really picky, you could tack the washer in place but I didn't.

I measure almost 20" from the top of the fender plate to the bottom. You may have to trim it at the bottom-front. The shop doesn't cut a hole there, so you have a lot of flexibility.

@Fast Eddy here is a photo of what we are working with. I'm not planning on moving the rear axle back, but from reading through the entire thread, it seems that these will work, but may need a little trimming on the front outer edge. Do you agree? Also, what are folks using to get a neat bend at the front contour?
Thanks.
Mark.

306.09.2023.New Tires.14.jpg

@Fast Eddy here is a photo of what we are working with. I'm not planning on moving the rear axle back, but from reading through the entire thread, it seems that these will work, but may need a little trimming on the front outer edge. Do you agree? Also, what are folks using to get a neat bend at the front contour?
Thanks.
Mark.

View attachment 3347469
Yea, you'll have to make a bend to go around the body crease at the front, or you could trim them along the body crease if you want.

I wish there were more "after" pics in this thread, but there's one that's in-progress in post #73 and post #165.

Last edited:
So...for clarity...these mimic the stock wheel opening? My 40 has some wavy sheetmetal around the wheel opening and I'm thinking about these to use as a brace to help flatten that area but simply want the stock wheel opening. If so...I'm in for a pair.

FYI..the pic above has a broken link.

Last edited:
So...for clarity...these mimic the stock wheel opening? My 40 has some wavy sheetmetal around the wheel opening and I'm thinking about these to use as a brace to help flatten that area but simply want the stock wheel opening. If so...I'm in for a pair.

FYI..the pic above has a broken link.
Yea. I made the pattern from my previous rig which was uncut and original. The group would much appreciate your participation.

With these attached to my rig it made the whole quarter panel very solid, so much so I was surprised.

Probably fixed the pic as well.

Any updates to the group buy?
Thanks again!
Yea, looks like @Will615 is out? We're on hold until, at least, I get my Porsche repaired and I see if I feel like funding two pairs myself. In the short-term I have to fund a very expensive new wheel. :( Maybe @USOffRoad will come to the rescue?

Sorry everyone, but I think I’m going to pass. I already have my quarter panels stripped and am fixing a few rust spots and PO holes, just seems like I should finish it out since I’ve gone this far with it and use patch panels. Hopefully @USOffRoad is in and will get you guys up to three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom