Possible driveshaft phase issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been experiencing some pretty rough vibration starting at 25-30 and around 50 it calms down a bit. I notice the extra vibration (I have maxxis bighorns on it) is only when accelerating. Coasting I just feel the alignment/off balance wheel/big knobby tire shake. The rear I have aligned how I pulled it (left being the front of the rig) and the other is how I installed it after inspection of the u-joints. All U’s are in good shape. The only thing I can think is the driveshafts must be outta phase or I have the yoke config wrong. Haven’t been able to find anything about their alignment. I figured it was the yoke to the diffs. Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Picture for reference (cause they never hurt to have).

01174EDD-7F25-4D3F-96E4-3C1026B1A329.jpeg

F26B11D4-F54B-4971-9D52-F99EEB85BFC3.jpeg

This may help

Toyota installed front shafts in phase, and out of phase I different years
( In phase, the yolks line up. Out of phase, the yolks are 90⁰ different).

How old are the tires? Look like they've got a fair bit of tread gone. Are they still good?

That looks 90° out. The yokes should line up like the image I posted even though it was more about driveshaft angles.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification! I dropped it a while ago and thought I put it back in the same alignment as when it came down.

Gotchya. Meh, they still grip in wet/snowy conditions, buuuuut they are what came with the rig. I’m movin to VT in a few weeks and flat-bedding it so the gal will have to wait for now… Or at least till right before the first big snow of the year up there🙃

In all fairness, this was my daily driver for about 6 months (highway travel).
Toyota installed front shafts in phase, and out of phase I different years
( In phase, the yolks line up. Out of phase, the yolks are 90⁰ different).

How old are the tires? Look like they've got a fair bit of tread gone. Are they still good?

Gotchya. Meh, they still grip in wet/snowy conditions, buuuuut they are what came with the rig. I’m movin to VT in a few weeks and flat-bedding it so the gal will have to wait for now… Or at least till right before the first big snow of the year up there🙃

In all fairness, this was my daily driver for about 6 months (highway travel).

I was speculating that the tires may be the cause of your vibration?

Inside the post I attached-

1649471171098.jpeg

More good info in this thread

I’ve been experiencing some pretty rough vibration starting at 25-30 and around 50 it calms down a bit. I notice the extra vibration (I have maxxis bighorns on it) is only when accelerating. Coasting I just feel the alignment/off balance wheel/big knobby tire shake. The rear I have aligned how I pulled it (left being the front of the rig) and the other is how I installed it after inspection of the u-joints. All U’s are in good shape. The only thing I can think is the driveshafts must be outta phase or I have the yoke config wrong. Haven’t been able to find anything about their alignment. I figured it was the yoke to the diffs. Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Picture for reference (cause they never hurt to have).

View attachment 2975520

View attachment 2975521
The front shaft should be out of phase 90*. Toyota issued a bulletin on this to include earlier years.

The rear should be in phase as you have it.

The yoke on both DS must be to the FRONT of the truck. Rear shaft the yoke is at the t-case, front shaft the yoke is at the differential.

Check your front shaft to confirm it's not one spline off on the yoke. Pull a string line to confirm or take it off and lay it on the ground to confirm the caps are on the same plane.

The vibration on acceleration could be worn u-joints, worn splined on the yoke, loose pinion bearings, or worn transfer case bearings.

It may pay to separate the shafts at the slip yoke, clean out all the old grease and regrease & assemble

I had a similar issue with a vibration that shook the whole car at about 60kph under load and would go away at higher speed. The cleaning out of all the old grease in the rear DS is what did it for me.
I beleive it may have been old hardened grease in there that was the issue where it kinda was packed in at the TCase end of the DS.
Since cleaning and re greasing the slip yoke 3 years ago the issue has not re appeared

Mind you I did this after pulling apart the whole front axle assembly, rear axles & wheel bearings, checking & greasing of uni joints, transmission service, diff fluids, TCase fluid.....

It may pay to separate the shafts at the slip yoke, clean out all the old grease and regrease & assemble

I had a similar issue with a vibration that shook the whole car at about 60kph under load and would go away at higher speed. The cleaning out of all the old grease in the rear DS is what did it for me.
I beleive it may have been old hardened grease in there that was the issue where it kinda was packed in at the TCase end of the DS.
Since cleaning and re greasing the slip yoke 3 years ago the issue has not re appeared

Mind you I did this after pulling apart the whole front axle assembly, rear axles & wheel bearings, checking & greasing of uni joints, transmission service, diff fluids, TCase fluid.....
Did you eat a sandwich while doing that?

It may have been the sandwich that fixed it.

The front shaft should be out of phase 90*. Toyota issued a bulletin on this to include earlier years.

The rear should be in phase as you have it.

The yoke on both DS must be to the FRONT of the truck. Rear shaft the yoke is at the t-case, front shaft the yoke is at the differential.

Check your front shaft to confirm it's not one spline off on the yoke. Pull a string line to confirm or take it off and lay it on the ground to confirm the caps are on the same plane.

The vibration on acceleration could be worn u-joints, worn splined on the yoke, loose pinion bearings, or worn transfer case bearings.
Yep. 90 degree rotation smoothed it right out. It’s weird, when I put it back on I matched the clean area left by the flange. Thanks for the input and clarity!

Good that the vibe is fixed but what do you mean by 90 deg rotation?
The advice above relates to rotating the shaft 'halves' 90 deg to each other by separating at the centre splines. It's not talking about where the front and rear DS flanges mate to the diff/txfer case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom