Por 15 exhaust and intake paint longevity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the stock manifolds off and was thinking about buying the intake and exhaust paint.
Has anyone painted theirs and how does it look after some time?
And more important is it worth the money?
Thanks
Ken

After about 60 views to this post and no replies I decided to try the POR 15 high heat manifold paint and report the outcome as time goes by. Maybe it will help somebody decide what they want to do.
Before I had both manifolds sand blasted I had to repair two threaded holes on the intake and work on the exhaust manifold where I had a crack where the stud threads into the manifold. Only time will tell if the repairs work. :steer:
I followed the instructions to the letter that came with the paint. Two light coats and wait at least 24 hours between coats. After that I took them to the powder coater that I use and he baked them at 300F for thirty minutes.

Ken :beer:
manifold paint 3-6-10 007.jpg
manifold paint 3-6-10 008.jpg

sure looks good now. interested to see what the exhaust looks like after some run time.

I have used POR15 exhaust and manifold paint a few times. Most recently on my FJ80. I sandblasted the manifold first and then brushed on the POR15. After about 6 months some surface rust started to come back I assumed I did not use enough coats. I had my manifolds off again and this time used 5 coats. Now after a year I still have some surface rust showing up in some spots. Overall they look good,much better than they did before.

EDIT: I went out and looked at my manifolds and there are some "pinholes" of surface rust here and there. Nothing major. I think the POR15 is so thick that it does not like to flow into all of the nooks and crannies of a porous surface like a cast manifold. I remember now that after each coat I would look carefully after they were dry and would see some spots that it looked like I missed, that's why I used 5 coats.

Last edited:
I have used POR15 exhaust and manifold paint a few times. Most recently on my FJ80. I sandblasted the manifold first and then brushed on the POR15. After about 6 months some surface rust started to come back I assumed I did not use enough coats. I had my manifolds off again and this time used 5 coats. Now after a year I still have some surface rust showing up in some spots. Overall they look good,much better than they did before.

EDIT: I went out and looked at my manifolds and there are some "pinholes" of surface rust here and there. Nothing major. I think the POR15 is so thick that it does not like to flow into all of the nooks and crannies of a porous surface like a cast manifold. I remember now that after each coat I would look carefully after they were dry and would see some spots that it looked like I missed, that's why I used 5 coats.

Anyone else use this product on their intake/exhaust manifolds? Long term viability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom