Builds Poppy- '84 FJ60 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We wet sanded Poppy today with 2000-2500 grit and then polished with the 3M Perfect-It EX kit.... (only used the first 2 stages) PERTY! Once I get her back together I will send to my buddies detailer and ultra machine polish her up.

Pretty happy with the results.

J

IMG_20190820_110327072.jpg
IMG_20190820_153209993_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190820_153745988_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190820_165012887_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190820_165025651_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
That's insane.

We did a ton of work in 3 days to get her to that point.. In fact, looks so good that after I reassemble, I'm afraid to drive her. That's the issue with a doing something like this. I'll finish the restore back to original and drive her occasionally or sell her...

One of the reasons I decided against doing anything further to DINGO as far as bodywork and paint. If that paint would have turned out that nice I would have felt I wasted everything on the project.

Just pointless IMO to put that much into paint and destroy it.

So right now the plan is to put her back together. Then put new tires and wheels on (if I can get her in the garage afterwards) and revisit after DINGO is finished.

J

Yes, I understand, it's up there with the caddies... Sunday rides in good weather! But you can't have a cruiser for that!
Or maybe... You can!

Dingo should fill in the rest, it seems!

P

Marley was a beautiful build and his paint was no where near this nice. He had some orange peel and a few light/dry areas and it didn't bother me. We sanded and polished where there are NO swirl, scratches, etc.. Perfect mirrror finish. I know one door ding or dumbass kid/parent later and I'll be beside myself.

I built DINGO for camping and a utilitarian reason. So while I'd be pissed with a dent , etc.. I can beat it out and go....

J

Poppy looks so happy now :) but your 100 is getting jealous;)

Yeah I spoke with Johnny on the armor wrap and I think I will repaint ELE. We'll figure that out as soon as I can catch up and it's not so hot up here. Not to mention another fire broke out today up north of town. Smoke is being pulled into the shop and ash is lightly falling.

Houseboat caught fire on Lake Shasta and jumped into the trees. I swear this place is HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Yeah I spoke with Johnny on the armor wrap and I think I will repaint ELE. We'll figure that out as soon as I can catch up and it's not so hot up here. Not to mention another fire broke out today up north of town. Smoke is being pulled into the shop and ash is lightly falling.

Houseboat caught fire on Lake Shasta and jumped into the trees. I swear this place is HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

J
Fires here too. I think everywhere is just burning up.

We did a ton of work in 3 days to get her to that point.. In fact, looks so good that after I reassemble, I'm afraid to drive her. That's the issue with a doing something like this. I'll finish the restore back to original and drive her occasionally or sell her...

One of the reasons I decided against doing anything further to DINGO as far as bodywork and paint. If that paint would have turned out that nice I would have felt I wasted everything on the project.

Just pointless IMO to put that much into paint and destroy it.

So right now the plan is to put her back together. Then put new tires and wheels on (if I can get her in the garage afterwards) and revisit after DINGO is finished.

J

Yes this is the big problem with shiny new paint. Clear vinyl on the hood, fenders, rockers,etc will prevent 95% of this. I’m going to do mine after I have several paint chips addressed. Got sand blasted last winter during a storm 😞

Thanks for the inspiration on the red color! My ‘87 is red andneeds paint bad.

-Ed

She's getting new emblems, TT milled vents, 70 series mirrors, new marker lights, etc...
Nice!
On the 70 series mirrors, is your drivers for Left hand drive or Right hand drive? I ask as I have a set and the drivers has that magnification that the passengers does not, drives me crazy.

Nice!
On the 70 series mirrors, is your drivers for Left hand drive or Right hand drive? I ask as I have a set and the drivers has that magnification that the passengers does not, drives me crazy.

Perhaps have a glass shop cut a replacement piece?

Nice!

Got mine from CND source so hopefully they are LHD correct. But, as @NCFJ said if not, a simple glass shop visit and they will be good to go. I did this on a set of older euro mirrors before. They make a 1/16" mirror that sticks right to the old one and unless you are staring at it you can't even tell it's a laminate.

J

Been a LOOOONG time.....

I decided to take my day off and get some more things off my list here. Fired her up and immediately she died and refused to start. Opened the hood and looked down to a puddle of oil... YEP.............. fuel pump took a dump on the garage floor.

Andrea said "she's been on vacation for months and REFUSES TO GO BACK TO WORK!!"

Ordered parts and will get her purring again next week. I'm dumping the OE style pump and blocking it off and going with the Walbro inline electric. Sure is nice to turn the key and have instant fuel and fire. I did this on the TT R&D cruiser and sure makes it more modern and really eliminates the typical BS "hot start issues" too while keeping it Cali CARB and SMOG compliant.

J

P2.jpg
IMG_20200531_110444341.jpg

Triple wall cardboard is the best 60 absorbent floor mat made and its dirt cheap. HA

IMG_20200531_110452293.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom