Plus and Minus Markings on OME Dakar Springs? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I just mounted my rear springs, OME CS001R. After getting them mounted I noted "<- -" sign on one spring and "<- +" on the other. The arrow I assume was pointing to the front as it was on the shorter side of each spring but I'm not sure of the significance of the "-" and "+" signs.

Does anyone know what they are for?

Also there was a set of numbers and letters on the opposite end of the springs under the Dakar sticker. My assumption here is that they are production dates. Does anyone know how to decipher them and if not production date then what?

Thanks!

The + is for a spring with a slightly higher spring rate, while the minus is for slightly lower spring rate. If you have a spring with a "o" it has a spring rate dead on. Typically people will put the + springs on the driver's side as there is extra weight on that side from the driver. There are at least a couple of threads that have a better explanation of this than I gave you.

Thanks for the info, I'll try searching some more to see what additional information if any is out there.

Straight from Cruiser Outfitters.

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_leaf_tech.html

What do the +,o,- marks on my spring mean?

OME/Dakar spring will often have a +, o, or a - painted on one end of the leaf spring, so what does that mean? The + means slightly over spec, and when we say slightly it wasn't enough to consider the spring an error rather it is by design. The o is exactly at spec and the - slightly below spec, again by design. As the drivers side of a vehicle often has more weight, its common to use a + on the drivers side and a o or a - on the passenger side. Or, a o on the drivers side and a - on the passenger. The total difference side to side is likely just 1/8"-1/4" but it can be just the right amount to level the vehicle. This is particularly important when A and B springs are not offered such as many of the newer spring applications.

Trollhole, thanks for the link as I was unable to find any reference here. Seems I may have been the first to ask the specific question or I'm loosing my touch with search engines. :)

So if the cruiser leans to the front driver’s side, my understanding is the + goes to the rear passenger side? Acting the same the spacer per the Toyota bulletin? Or does it go on the rear driver’s side?

My OME 2.5 inch lift came with two front leafs with o marks and the rears with a + and o.

Asking for a friend.

The arrow I assume was pointing to the front as it was on the shorter side of each spring

Nope pretty sure the Arrow points to the fixed non shackle end not the front as such.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my OME suspension was installed by the previous owner. I noticed on the Front Driver Side the spring is 0, Front Passenger is +. The Rear Driver and Passenger are -. One problem I've had is the driver side seems to sit low. When I put the roof on, the driver side is much lower than the passenger side and I can't get the top door bow bolted up properly. Could the springs be causing the problem? The previous owner bought them from Amazon. Do the dealers specializing in 40 parts sell more of a matched set? Should I swap the front springs?

Last edited:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my OME suspension was installed by the previous owner. I noticed on the Front Driver Side the spring is 0, Front Passenger is +. The Rear Driver and Passenger are -. One problem I've had is the driver side seems to sit low. When I put the roof on, the driver side is much lower than the passenger side and I can't get the top door bow bolted up properly. Could the springs be causing the problem? The previous owner bought them from Amazon. Do the dealers specializing in 40 parts sell more of a matched set? Should I swap the front springs?
Yep i would try swapping them

When Downey built Landcruiser springs, NHK (our supplier) said all springs have a very small difference in arch after heat treating (not a difference in spring rate). NHK painted-on a ( -, 0, + ), then instructed us to sell - springs together, 0 springs together, and + springs together to achieve the same arch from side to side. The springs did not have a different spring rate, and they were not intended to correct a leaning vehicle.

Last edited:
When Downey built Landcruiser springs, NHK (our supplier) said all springs have a very small difference in arch after heat treating (not a difference in spring rate). NHK painted-on a ( -, 0, + ), then instructed use to sell - springs together, 0 springs together, and + springs together to achieve the same arch from side to side. The springs did not have a different spring rate, and they were not intended to correct a leaning vehicle.

So you think it's not necessary to swap them?

I just think it was OME's responsibility to sell you matching - or + springs (or OME's vender should have sold you matching + or - springs).

Here, this may help. From Iron Pig Off road who asked the manufacturer this very question on my behalf.

E3792ADF-EB82-4E3E-98C1-EA7FA976A113.jpeg

CDE9AAAC-F7DA-4F85-89ED-48C7DE8BC207.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom