Please help a clueless guy pick out tires and spacers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never bought custom wheels and tires. I am in the process of buying TRD Rock Warrior wheels 17" for my bone stock Gold 2001 LX 470 with AHC. So I wanted to see what your opinion was on which tires, spacers and etc. to buy? I don't plan on lifting it anytime soon and I don't want rubbing. I love the look of aggressive tires but, I am worried about tire noise.

I will spend 90% on highway and 10% on trails/mud. In my area we have no ice, no snow and no sand that we can drive on. Just lots of rain and mud.

1.) What Size tires and which ones do you recommend?
2.) What size spacers and where to buy them?
3.) Which do you think would look best on a Gold LX 470 and these Rock Warriors white or black walls?

i have the rock warriors with 285/70/17's , with spacers they don't need a lift, i believe my spacers are 1.25" slee/spidertrax.

I do have an AHC lift but fitment is fine when in low mode. There is a tad bit of rubbing when reversing to the left. I think you can easily remedy with a heat gun.

Last edited:
1. There are hundreds of threads about size and brand/model of tires out there, most people seem to go with around (the metric equivalent of) 33s as it offers the best combo of roadworthyness/performance without straining the gearing or other drivetrain/suspension components.

2. People seem to like the 1.25 which seem more plentiful, and change the stance a lot, but there are some that seem to run 1" or smaller, just to get clearance for the RW wheels.

3. I think you mean the white letters on the tires? It is a personal preference. Some people seem to like the "sporty" look of the white letters, while others prefer a more understated look. I like the white letters out on Jeeps but black for Land Cruisers, but it's up to you, as long as you do all 4 the same!

And PS Rock Warriors look great, congrats.

And to add that I've never been happier with tires in my long and tire-filled life than I have been with my 33" BFG K02's.

+1
BFG KO2 + Slee 1.25 spacers. Very happy.

you can probably go bigger but will get more rubbing the wider or taller you go. The rubbing happens when your wheels are turned about 45 degrees, the corners come into contact with plastic trim on the rear of the wheel well. The bigger you go, the more massaging you will need to do to eliminate the rub.

Is the 285/70R70 BFG KO2 the largest that fits on stock ride suspension (no lift)?
I run 275 70 18 with the spacers. A lot of guys here run this size with 18" wheels and are happy. You can go bigger but may need to bend in a pinch weld or two to avoid minor rubbing. Spacers will not be as necessary w wider tires.

I'd probably go 1" wheel adapter/spacer... even though the fronts probably won't be hub centric. The rear can be. Stock wheel has a +60mm offset. RW wheel has a +50mm offset. 1" spacer on RW wheel is equivalent to running ~25mm wheel offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom