Plates or Bushings? (1 Viewer)

Plates or bushings for castor correction?

• Plates

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Bushings

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dcx13

Life's too short for bad coffee.
SILVER Star
Threads
When doing a lift (looking at 2-2.5"), what are the pros/cons of using plates or bushings to correct castor? I'm contemplating doing the install myself, but lack (at the moment) a means of pressing new bushings in. The stock suspension is knackered, on a good day, and the castor bushing vs plates question has me just considering a stock height replacement for now.

Thoughts from the MUD hive-mind?

bushings are fine for 2-2.5, above that you should use plates. I just moved to J springs and my 3 degree bushings are barely enough. I plan to put plates on eventually. The other negative to bushings is that some have had issues with the old man emu bushings falling apart over time. My slee blue 3 degree bushings have held up fine.

I used TJM 2.5* rubber bushings. I have no complaints. Plates are more expensive but the better option for over 2.5* It's like a poll of what kind of apples people like. Just because YOU like Gala doesn't mean I'm wrong because I like Fuji. I'm sure there are some on here that will argue exactly that though.

Do you have a decent set of large wrenches ? Maybe a floor jack and a friend or neighbor ? If so then you can install plates pretty easy. I highly recommend @sleeoffroad . That's where I got mine from. Maybe an hour to install them, including taking out and putting away tools.

I agree. Plates are very straight forward to install. Bushing changes can make you want to kill yourself too!!

But don't put caster plates in if you don't have the right amount of lift!! Otherwise I recommend rubber offset caster bushings.

Do you have a decent set of large wrenches ? Maybe a floor jack and a friend or neighbor ? If so then you can install plates pretty easy. I highly recommend @sleeoffroad . That's where I got mine from. Maybe an hour to install them, including taking out and putting away tools.

If you have enough lift, I would agree that plates are the way to go. I was out MUCH more than an hour, because I don't have a press. The place I used is a 30 minute drive, round-trip...and I had to take the control arms back twice because they couldn't figure out how to use a template. Then I had to use ratchet straps to pull the axle into position for the rear-most holes to line up.

I'm happy with the bushings though. Drove it 5000 miles, including the White Rim trail, immediately after and had no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom