PHOENIX 10.4" METAL TRIM VERTICAL SCREEN 900 dollar gamble. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Latest upgrade for the GX was the verticle screen install. it has android 10.0 and apple car play.

Unit is very nice and durable feeling. wires and plugs connect very easily. However the instructions and videos are for older units not this newest one. A few factory plugs are not used again. and they send you extra plugs you dont use also.

Had some frustrations with a bad ground. not the fault of phoenix unit. It was a ground bolt inside dash that needed to be tighter. Spent a few hours on the phone with their tech support.
Tech support took 4 of their engineers to help me figure it out. I could hear chickens and dogs and donkeys in the background.

Issues I am currently having.... Volume needs to be set to 80 percent on the factory unit before you unplug.
turning the key on and off lowers the max volume every single time and now the volume is mute. will have to call tech support again.
The AC functions work great except at max blower the screen reads 3/4 fan speed.
All the steering wheel buttons work great.

I would recommend waiting until all the flaws are fixed and better instructions for the install before buying this unit.

20210115_150752.jpg

20210115_153452.jpg

20210115_153456.jpg

20210118_121938.jpg

Looks nice. What are the advantages over the PX6 unit?

My GX had a Phoenix PX6 installed when I bought it, which is something I otherwise would have been skeptical over. I've been pretty happy with it. It's minimally buggy, it's great to have Android Auto and a decent backup camera in an older vehicle, and the stereo sounds great with the ML speakers. Being able to install any Android app is also nice, and makes these Android head units more capable than a OEM head unit in a new vehicle with Android Auto/Car Play installed. I installed BackCountry Navigator GPS Pro and downloaded all of the topo maps for my area - which is a big advantage when wandering dirt roads and trails in the middle of nowhere.

That's awesome! Is the hardware upgraded much from the PX6?

My only gripe with the unit I have is the base is Android 4.4 which means I can't use the Yahoo! (yes, still alive and kicking in Japan) navigation app which seems to be the best available here.

the ac controls work well, as in the software, on-screen buttons? this was a major complaint in the past. people complained the software buttons on screen were not responsive.

Last edited:
the ac controls work well, as I nthe software, on-screen buttons? this was a major complaint in the past. people complained the software buttons on screen were not responsive.
The screen is very responsive just like a phone or tablet. Boot up takes prob 10 seconds for ac or radio to come on.

That's awesome! Is the hardware upgraded much from the PX6?

My only gripe with the unit I have is the base is Android 4.4 which means I can't use the Yahoo! (yes, still alive and kicking in Japan) navigation app which seems to be the best available here.
It is very differant. They sent me the px6 install instructions and plugs and harness are way different. No buttons on the bezel. All buttons are in the screen

It is very differant. They sent me the px6 install instructions and plugs and harness are way different. No buttons on the bezel. All buttons are in the screen

I do like that it gets rid of the physical buttons in favor of a larger screen. (it is larger, right?) If my current unit gives me problems, nice to know there is a nicer alternative.

Last edited:
Is that actually new?

no. It’s been out for months with no one anywhere posting pics of it actually installed or giving a legit review, though I imagine the tune knob and vol knob are a godsend. The screen size though is absolutely ridiculous for a vehicle. If the people engineering these things would just put a vol/tune knob and add fan speed controls as physical buttons to the 10.4” version, they could have a pretty dang good product but apparently they don’t understand that.

no. It’s been out for months with no one anywhere posting pics of it actually installed or giving a legit review, though I imagine the tune knob and vol knob are a godsend. The screen size though is absolutely ridiculous for a vehicle. If the people engineering these things would just put a vol/tune knob and add fan speed controls as physical buttons to the 10.4” version, they could have a pretty dang good product but apparently they don’t understand that.
It’s the same damn people who put that glossy screen on these not realizing the horrendous glare it causes. Doubt they either care or have the cognitive ability to realize this.

you can run split screen top and bottom. someone on GXOR has installed. they report that the temp is in C. but that's among the only shortcomings.

sounds like it comes with updated firmware and hence doesn't require the firmware updates that most people don't do and therefore cause the questionable reviews of these head units.

I really want something like this to be the solution, but I feel like I’m buying a more expensive Grom that I’ll be about as content with.

I'm still running the PX6 "small" version and still happy to report that it's perfectly acceptable. The 10.4" screen is really nice for running the Backcountry GPS Navigator maps when off-roading. I have all USGS 7.5' maps downloaded for offline usage for my normal haunts (SE Missouri) and also downloaded a few gigs of maps to cover SW Colorado and Moab for our trip next week. Nice to see where you are as a dot on the map even when there is zero cell coverage. My kids also like watching it.

The Android Audio interface also works about as good as my my Mazda 3 (which is not exactly the benchmark for infotainment systems.....). My main gripes are that it's not bright enough for sunglasses on sunny days and the track skip button on my steering wheel works intermittently.

I'm still running the PX6 "small" version and still happy to report that it's perfectly acceptable. The 10.4" screen is really nice for running the Backcountry GPS Navigator maps when off-roading. I have all USGS 7.5' maps downloaded for offline usage for my normal haunts (SE Missouri) and also downloaded a few gigs of maps to cover SW Colorado and Moab for our trip next week. Nice to see where you are as a dot on the map even when there is zero cell coverage. My kids also like watching it.

The Android Audio interface also works about as good as my my Mazda 3 (which is not exactly the benchmark for infotainment systems.....). My main gripes are that it's not bright enough for sunglasses on sunny days and the track skip button on my steering wheel works intermittently.
Same here....though my favorite Navigation software requires newer Android so it's more or less a flashy GUI for playing music/podcasts/etc by bluetooth on my phone.

you can run split screen top and bottom. someone on GXOR has installed. they report that the temp is in C. but that's among the only shortcomings.

sounds like it comes with updated firmware and hence doesn't require the firmware updates that most people don't do and therefore cause the questionable reviews of these head units.
Can you link the post? I'm looking into considering the 13.6" version but not sure if its better then the 10.4" yet. I spoke to Shivadest on FB and he said he doesn't produce an aftermarket firmware for this screen, only the 10.4". Feel like the 10.4 fits better and is a cleaner look but the 13.6 has the knobs which I like a lot and is an android 10 vs an android 9 platform. sucks you have to uninstall the ashtray and 12v plug for it to fit though.

Can you link the post? I'm looking into considering the 13.6" version but not sure if its better then the 10.4" yet. I spoke to Shivadest on FB and he said he doesn't produce an aftermarket firmware for this screen, only the 10.4". Feel like the 10.4 fits better and is a cleaner look but the 13.6 has the knobs which I like a lot and is an android 10 vs an android 9 platform. sucks you have to uninstall the ashtray and 12v plug for it to fit though.

I actually can't find the post of the person who installed.

it's probably not better than the 10.4 at this moment. the firmware updates are readily available for the 10.4 and have all the extra features that might ameliorate some of the shortcomings of the unit out of the box.

I would expect the support to catch in after a while, but I'm sure that's what you're trying to figure out, whether or not the base feature set is comparable to the 10.4

I would say that uninstalling the cigarette lighter gives you a fee circuit in the fuse panel to tap off of.

@pearlgx Now that you've had it installed for awhile, how do you like the metal trim 10.4"? Is it a big difference from the Px6 10.4 with yours being "octa-core" and having the android 10 platform vs android 9? Did you end up getting the firmware from shivadest? Trying to determine which 10.4" I should get. The metal trim is still close to $300 more then the old 10.4. I've ruled out the 13" due to less support and reviews.

android 9? Did you end up getting the firmware from shivadest? Trying to determine which 10.4" I should get. The metal trim is still close to $300 more then the old 10.4. I've ruled out the 13" due to less support and reviews
...and did you need to do any rewiring? (or was the harness the same?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom