Perfect 35" tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there such a thing as a perfect dual purpose 35" tire? Decent on the road, decent tread life, and will hold its own in little mud?

35/12.5/15 or 315/75/16 is what I'm thinking about for a SOA FJ40

Last edited:
KM2s or Toyo MTs.

BFG KO2 for the win...excellent road manners, quiet, excellent snow, adequate mud, great on the trails and rocks. I'm thoroughly impressed with mine. If you were picking for a daily driver/wheeler, they'd be my first choice.

HOWEVER, I think a MT looks better on a SOA rig...KM2 would be a more aesthetic choice...also check into the Toyo's or or Nitto's, haven't tried them personally but have heard good reviews on each.

I have been using my 315/75/16 Toyo MTs the last 4 years all year round. Mostly highway and the tread is lasting well. Even in winter they are ok, but they are no replacement for an ice rated tire. Love them, but they are heavy.

I sipe the center lugs of all the mud tires I get. Don't know if it actually helps, but it gives me the warm fuzzies.

Good Year Wrangler MTR. I've beat on 2 sets and loved them.

I'm running a set of Nitto trail grapplers 35x12.5x17 and like them. Not super loud on the highway and great off-road. Did fine in the 8" of "big snow" here in Louisville ky last winter.
They look great and track well. The downside is these puppies are heavy.
Good luck on the hunt.

Is there such a thing as a perfect dual purpose 35" tire? Decent on the road, decent tread life, and will hold its own in little mud?

35/12.5/15 or 315/75/16 is what I'm thinking about for a SOA FJ40
If you're still trying to decide, you might check out the Toyo OC (Open Country) AT II Extreme LT315/75R16. I don't think you'll find a better all around performing & looking tire. And they wear well. The voids are better than a typical AT tire, so mud perfomance is slightly better than an average AT - also slightly noisier. Do your research and check out the reviews. I'm running a set on my 80 and well satisfied after running them for almost a year.

Unicorn RainbowMaxxx MT's if your looking for the perfect tire. Everything else is just a compromise. Myself, i'm thinking it would be kick ass to have a set of really good AT's like the KO2 or Cooper Maxx for everyday driving. Then save my Kuhmo Venture MT's for the heavy off road.

If you're still trying to decide, you might check out the Toyo OC (Open Country) AT II Extreme LT315/75R16. I don't think you'll find a better all around performing & looking tire. And they wear well. The voids are better than a typical AT tire, so mud perfomance is slightly better than an average AT - also slightly noisier. Do your research and check out the reviews. I'm running a set on my 80 and well satisfied after running them for almost a year.
THe PO blessed me with a set of nearly new OC 315/75R16s (the mud version), which I love. I want a narrower one for my next set though, maybe in the AT extreme, and Im an idiot with aspect ratio and all that stuff...

So I want a 35" tire that's a bit skinnier than what I have now.

THe PO blessed me with a set of nearly new OC 315/75R16s (the mud version), which I love. I want a narrower one for my next set though, maybe in the AT extreme, and Im an idiot with aspect ratio and all that stuff...

So I want a 35" tire that's a bit skinnier than what I have now.
Not sure why you'd want a narrower 35" tire, but if you're interested in the 16" OC AT II Extreme, there's 3 choices and only one that's 35". Reference: Toyo

Just remember though, these tires are designed for all around performance. So if you want skinny for whatever reason, you're getting away from the "Perfect 35" tire", if it exists - lol.

I just bought GG AT2 315/75's, all five mounted and balanced for $1200 courtesy of wally world. Sears had a sale @ $207 and I got them to price match plus getting $75 rebate back, couldn't pass up that deal, other than picking up gravel I love them both on and off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom