parts to rebuild transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
where is the best source to get parts for the transmission in a 93' and also parts for the five speed Toyota transmission. cant remember the number on it but its the one people replace the four speed with in the 40's and 60's

I have gotten engine parts from @beno

Engine parts....

where is the best source to get parts for the transmission in a 93' and also parts for the five speed Toyota transmission. cant remember the number on it but its the one people replace the four speed with in the 40's and 60's

There are literally no parts left for the A442F transmission from Toyota anymore.

The 5 speed you are talking about is the H55F. It will not mate behind a 1FZ-FE.

You will need the other later iterations in the form of the H150F or the H151F.

There are literally no parts left for the A442F transmission from Toyota anymore.

The 5 speed you are talking about is the H55F. It will not mate behind a 1FZ-FE.

So are these two options automatics and will it take anything special to get them to work in the 93.

Forget my last post. I see that they are manuals. Is there a later model auto that will work with the 1fz-fe

a442f shares a lot of parts with AW450-43le..
Yeah, that's what I paid.

This is from baldilocks via PM:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"As you may know, the A442 is apparently the same thing as an AW450-43le, a truck transmission produced out of the union between Aisin-Warner. You can purchase solenoids that are listed for the AW450 for under $50 each at cobratransmission.com. I did not buy from them because, when I called the rep could find no cross reference to the A442 even though a buddy of mine has actually bought the shift solenoids from them and used them in his A442. Since I was able I get a full set of all 4 good, used ones for $100 I went that route. Cobra is not the only place to find these but they are the cheapest I found.

Shift 1 and 2- D49422A
Lockup- D49425A
Timing- D49421A
(800)293-1848"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's the place I used. Bolted in, was an Aisin part.. but at this point I'll have to assume that wasn't my real problem.

Considering the extensive custom wiring I had to do to make the body swap work I'll need to look into that a little deeper.

Awesome. Thanks. I will try a rebuild of it
Is there a place that has rebuild stuff for the h55f. I got one from a mud member for my 60 but it was in worse shape then described so it's been setting till I can find parts.

Is there a place that has rebuild stuff for the h55f. I got one from a mud member for my 60 but it was in worse shape then described so it's been setting till I can find parts.

Feel free to drop a line by email or phone.

Happy to assist you.

What is currently driving you to rebuild your A442f?

What is currently driving you to rebuild your A442f?
well we thought the transmission had failed but when I took it in I was told the transfer case was completely dry and the mechanic did not recommend trying to buy parts to rebuild it so I am looking for a good used transfer case. also the trans was skipping second gear when it was running last. took off in first good but then seemed like it went right to third and bogged down till got up to speed. I had already bought the rebuild kit for the trans from cobra transmission so I will see if the transfer case fixes it, if not I will have the trans rebuilt.

btw any suggestions on later model transmissions or transfer cases that would work in the 93?

A442f rebuilds are not something you read about much here because its not your average auto trans. I have two of them, both approaching 300K and still operated very well. It's a truck transmission that was built in a joint venture between Aisin and Borg-Warner. When you bought your rebuild kit it was probably listed for the AW450-LE. This is the same trans as ours and has served in heavier duty applications than our 80 series cruisers. It is more transmission than the Landcruiser needs, therefor, it lasts a long time unless it was subjected to some out of the ordinary, extreme circumstances.
Most issues with the A442f are solved by adjusting the throttle/kickdown cable or cleaning/replacing solenoids on the 1993 and up models. The 1991 and 92 80 series has the A442, no (f), which is hydraulically controlled (has no solenoids).
Once you find and install a good transfer case, what you can do is disconnect the wire harness from the drivers side of the transmission and then drive it while starting off with LOW selected and then shifting manually. If it works as it should, what ever problem that may still be persisting, is electrical.

Last edited:
A442f rebuilds are not something you read about much here because its not your average auto trans. I have two of them, both approaching 300K and still operated very well. It's a truck transmission that was built in a joint venture between Aisin and Borg-Warner. When you bought your rebuild kit it was probably listed for the AW450-LE. This is the same trans as ours and has served in heavier duty applications than our 80 series cruisers. It is more transmission than the Landcruiser needs, therefor, it lasts a long time unless it was subjected to some out of the ordinary, extreme circumstances.
Most issues with the A442f are solved by adjusting the throttle/kickdown cable or cleaning/replacing solenoids on the 1993 and up models. The 1991 and 92 80 series has the A442, no (f), which is hydraulically controlled (has no solenoids).
Once you find and install a good transfer case, what you can do is disconnect the wire harness from the drivers side of the transmission and then drive it while starting off with LOW selected and then shifting manually. If it works as it should, what ever problem that me still be persisting, is electrical.
oh wow. thanks so much for that info. I had redone the exterior of the vehicle a few years ago and then gave it to my nephew to drive for his first car. it has about 220k miles and I for sure want to get it back running good. they have done great changing oil and servicing it but we didn't know to check fluid in transfer case. thanks again!

Once you find and install a good transfer case, what you can do is disconnect the wire harness from the drivers side of the transmission and then drive it while starting off with LOW selected and then shifting manually. If it works as it should, what ever problem that may still be persisting, is electrical.
will later model 80s transfer cases work? so im not just limited to finding one out of a 93?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom