Pappy's 2023 Idaho Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Well, some have seen a sneak peek of pictures. But, bottom line is the 4R broke a rear spring. Good news is I was about done with this leg of the adventure. Other good news is I broke down near Shawn and Jill.

At the moment I'm holed up at there place in Troy, MT. Bad news is replacement springs won't be here until middle of next week.

That means no pictures until I get home and can resize them to share.

FB_IMG_1694449836313.jpg

Let me know if this is too big.

BUMMER! But good fortune on the location. What springs are those? I see an add a leaf?

Well, some have seen a sneak peek of pictures. But, bottom line is the 4R broke a rear spring. Good news is I was about done with this leg of the adventure. Other good news is I broke down near Shawn and Jill.

At the moment I'm holed up at there place in Troy, MT. Bad news is replacement springs won't be here until middle of next week.

That means no pictures until I get home and can resize them to share.

View attachment 3426435

Let me know if this is too big.
Dang, that looks like it's been just hanging on for a little while.

Figured out a easy way to do the pics.

FB_IMG_1694478607508.jpg

What is wrong with picture?

FB_IMG_1694478577864.jpg

Old growth ... both the botanist and the red cedar.

FB_IMG_1694478571171.jpg

A river. Another river.

FB_IMG_1694478558423.jpg

Last edited:
This adventure was supposed to be in three parts.

First week was social week.
- stop in Carson City to visit former HDC member Ryan Ekland.
- stop and met a new half sister in Coos Bay, OR for lunch.
- spent a few days in Yachats, OR for a Palm Springs reunion.
- make a quick stop in Newport, OR to visit a former BioPark coworker.
- then a last stop in Seattle to visit inlaws.

Part 2 was Idaho. The basis was the BDR, but not strictly like I did in 2020. The route south of Glenn's Ferry wasn't worth it, so I started at Dixie, sort of. The plan was to get off the BDR, explore, and take alternative routes when I felt like it. I also picked up a short section I had to fire detour in 2020. The plan all along was to pull out at Sandpoint. Breaking sealed the deal.

Distance driven was 1097 miles. Crow miles start to end was 366 miles.

Screenshot_20230910-141129.png

Part 3 was something different. I was going to pick up US Hwy95 at the Canada border, and drive it all the way to Yuma. Lots of public land along the way to camp and explore. I might still salvage some of the route coming home.

Things are looking up. Springs are in Spokane. Delivery to the shop tomorrow.

20230920_143421(0).jpg

Well I'm back in Sandpoint. Shawn dropped me and the truck off at Selkirk Offroad yesterday.

Selkirk went to install the springs this morning ...

AND THEY ARE WRONG!!!!!!! Lengths and location of axle pin. Selkirk is talking to Alcan.

Well I'm back in Sandpoint. Shawn dropped me and the truck off at Selkirk Offroad yesterday.

Selkirk went to install the springs this morning ...

AND THEY ARE WRONG!!!!!!! Lengths and location of axle pin. Selkirk is talking to Alcan.
Dammit!

I'm sure I'll catch hell for saying this, but if it were me I'd weld the SOB and drive it home.

Dammit!

I'm sure I'll catch hell for saying this, but if it were me I'd weld the SOB and drive it home.
I'll suggest that.

Dang sorry dude! I'd expect that from 4WP or something but not Alcan!

Dang sorry dude! I'd expect that from 4WP or something but not Alcan!
The latest yesterday morning. Selkirk and myself went back and forth with Alcan. While waiting for Alcan to get back to us (nobody to talk to) I contacted Cruiser Outtfitters. They had a pair of OME heavy-duty on the shelf. I started to make arraignments to rent a car so I could drive to SLC this weekend to pick them up. That way Selkirk could install Monday morning.

I called Alcan around noon, and told them to "cancel everything" because I was picking up springs in SLC. I want to go home. The lady told me she had called the workers back in and they were cutting the springs as we talked. Her plan was to ship 2 day on Monday. Wednesday delivery.

So, I'm back at the William's.

As far as what they sent. I asked for the springs to be longer 5" in the front. They sent factory length springs, but drilled the pin 5" backwards. When mounted it was correct from the frame mount to the axle, but came out 5" short at the shackle. Selkirk was on the phone with a tape measure and Alcan finally admitted they messed up.

In hind sight I could have had the springs pins drilled 5" forward and made them work.

Well, I'm home ... physically and mentally exhausted. So, the bottom line is the truck is fixed. Two issues came up. First, my shocks are way too short. They were able to get them bolted up, but the shocks are working as a limit strap. Second is excessive driveline vibration. It improved as they springs settled. It also helped to keep the aux fuel tank full, and just run the primary tank. I'm going to work on a solution tomorrow.

So, a little story. Well, first, Shawn and Jill were exceptional hosts. With all of us being retired, we decided to make reservations and spend a day and a half at Glacier NP. This was one of the few western parks I have not been to. On the way home they decided to stop in Kalispell for, well, stuff. When you live out in the sticks like they do you stock up when you hit the cities. Shawn needed to get the wheels balanced so we dropped off the 4R at Discount Tire. While Discount did their thing, Shawn and I went to the Cabela's next door. Ya, potential for all kinds of mischief.

10mm.jpg

We saved the gun stuff for the end of our stroll through the store. I walked up, and saw stacks of primers. Oh, schit. I looked up the price at Midway, then asked how much they wanted. Same price. No sales tax. No shipping. No hazmat fee. I wish I could have bought more. I couldn't remember what I had in my stash, so I bought one of everything I use.

That 40cal stuff was for another bit of mischief. Shawn had the dies and bullets and wasn't loading 40cal anymore, so he gave them to me. As far as the mischief, the no Montana sales tax was way too tempting ... and I gave in. Actually, it's all Jill's fault.

Last edited:
I also came home with the wrong springs. If anybody has a 1979-1988 truck and needs rear springs, let's chat. They were built for 3" of lift and a half ton of weight. I think if you can get McBrides to drill a new spring pin they will be useful. I suspect they will give 4-5" of lift.

On the springs. My old springs were 8 leaf. The wrong springs are 7 leaf with a military wrap at the front. The new springs are 9 leafs with wraps at both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom