painting the front OEM grille of 100 series LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been working on my cruiser (100 series) recently and I wanted to paint the chrome OEM grille, but I have no idea of if I should do a vinyl wrap or if I just hit it with a rattle can that it would be fine.

Anyone who has done either of these methods or has done something better please let me know. Thanks!

Just pull it, scuff it, tape it and rattle can it. Really... it's that easy.

I just finished that (for the 2nd time in 130,000 miles) a couple weeks ago.
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 5.46.01 PM.png

Grille looks new... but really highlighted the foggy headlights and flaking
clear coat on the hood.
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 5.46.33 PM.png

So, out came the wet sandpaper and buffer (for the headlights)
IMG_7728.jpeg
IMG_7730.jpeg

The crystal clear headlights really made that hood look out of place, so it was
off to the body shop for fresh paint...
IMG_7931.jpeg

I guess what I'm saying is - repainting the grille is easy... but can open up a
big shiny can of worms ;)

Last edited:
My 2006 had tiny pits all over it but I had it painted professionally the same color as the trim molds.

View attachment 2358684

clear coat on the hood.
View attachment 2358685

View attachment 2358688 View attachment 2358689

View attachment 2358699

This looks very nice and oem...

really looks uggly when guys completely black it out specially a lexus...

this is how my lexus is OEM.. love the look. I believe it was 98-02 that had this blacked out grille stock.

20200702_102756.jpg

Thanks @95Fantasma80. The OE light gray didn't really match anymore - with the black sliders and black and Evo Gray bumper - so, I went with darker metallic gray for the grille.

So I have been working on my cruiser (100 series) recently and I wanted to paint the chrome OEM grille, but I have no idea of if I should do a vinyl wrap or if I just hit it with a rattle can that it would be fine.

Anyone who has done either of these methods or has done something better please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks guys for the help! I just hit mine with the rattle can and I think it turned out pretty good. Although I think I want to go with a darker grey next time and black out the outer chrome. 👍

now I just need to touch up the lights and get some new rock sliders on...
IMG-0032.JPG
IMG-0033.JPG

View attachment 2358684

clear coat on the hood.
View attachment 2358685

View attachment 2358688 View attachment 2358689

View attachment 2358699

How much for the Paint job? The truck that is, not the grill? I need to do mine.

How much for the Paint job? The truck that is, not the grill? I need to do mine.
I had the fenders and hood done - $800
Hood - total color coverage
Fenders - color blended from top down
Hood and fenders cleared

Bunking this as I saw some guy with a Dodge RAM using easy off oven cleaner to help expedite the ability to peel away the chrome on the grille. Got me thinking if it would work on our chrome accents

So the goal with the Easy-Off would be to take off the paint and the plasti-chrome - leaving the naked black plastic? If it worked, that'd be ideal - part of having to repaint these grilles so often is the chrome makes even the tiny chips just pop. I'd much rather paint dark gray over flat black.

I have no doubt the Easy-Off is a capable stripper (that's what she... sorry) I just wonder how it'll know to stop at the plasti-chrome and not damage the grille

So the goal with the Easy-Off would be to take off the paint and the plasti-chrome - leaving the naked black plastic? If it worked, that'd be ideal - part of having to repaint these grilles so often is the chrome makes even the tiny chips just pop. I'd much rather paint dark gray over flat black.

I have no doubt the Easy-Off is a capable stripper (that's what she... sorry) I just wonder how it'll know to stop at the plasti-chrome and not damage the grille
agreed, and not sure if Dodge's manufacturing process is similar to Toyota's, his "plating" was peeling off although it did seem like a PITA to do but he managed to do it. I would love to be able to work on bare plastic vs having to deal w/ chrome

Easy-Off was our go-to product when I was racing BMX in the 80s - it'd strip the anodized color of the aluminum bike parts. Once we discovered its powers, we all rode silver bikes with silver parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom