painless wiring problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im currently rewiring my 79 fj40 with a painless wiring kit. im having problems with the light and signal switch. is there a link that has wiring diagrams for this year because the book that i have is not matching the color of wires that are in my rig.

Pat,

From my understanding the painless will not have matching color coded wires to match your rig--Do some searching under "painless", "wiring harness" etc and you will find threads which attest to this (apparently it seems coded to GM colors). Be patient--one of these folks will have an answer--Search those threads though since I have seen many wiring diagrams that you can download. You can't beat this site for answers on Toyo--Good luck:beer:

painfree painless

Dude!!!

I am in the middle of a painless re-wire. I have a 72 40 with a steering out of a 86. I was fortunate to have the corect wiring diagram but am still having problems. Can you figure out which wire you need with a muiti-meter? I have found little help calling painless. If you have any luck please pass on the knowledge.

Pain(in the ass) wiring kit

This is all new to me, painless included a diagram with colors and on the front of the manuel it says it is for a fj40 but everything is geared towards a GM. My buddy who did all of the body restoration and has more knowledge than i is now helping me and he even thinks that this kit is NOT painless. I will run this by him and hopefully I can get back to you with an answer. I did find the link for a 78 wiring diagram on this site, hopefully this will help. Good luck :bang:

The generic painless wire kit is incompatible with the wiring of 75 and up cruiser turn signals. The easiest thing to do is keep the stock turn signal wires and just use the power wire from the kit.

find the OEM wiring diagram for your year of truck and look which wires Painless does not provide

such as between hazard switch, blinker switch and brake light switch

you will have to re-create those on your own

the Painless kit is not even matching GM colors, only GM philosophy :rolleyes:

at least in the '72, Toyota has a ground 'circuit'; with the Painless kit, each device is grounded by itself (or should be, anyway)

some OEM switches do not work that way (see above)

yeah, it's not Painless :frown:

but doable :flipoff2:

i was able to get the turn signals and hazards to work on my 86 column using the painless kit. I will take the steering column cover off and take a photo of what I did, maybe it i will help. I did have to cut the factory plug off of the column to make the connections. I was not able to figure the wipers out however. one thing at a time for me. I just want to drive the thing, I can wait and not drive in the rain for a while, anyway it is top off season right!!!!

brent

I had the same problem with my 65'....the diagrams are s*** on the EZ and painless. Took me forever to figure out the problems with the turn signal and brake lights. Luckly someone on mud hooked me up with a 65 wiring diagram!

This will help you understand your 79 wiring for signals or any later cruiser (with seperate stop lights)
sigwire.jpg

The painless kit is for GM type applications that use the same lamp filament for stop and turn signals in the back. Only the power input connections are compatible. Either you reuse your existing wire after the hazards, make a new harness or convert the stop lights and turn signals to early cruiser / GM type with the single filament.

Harness

I'm getting ready to put a painless in my '75. I thought that the '79 and up cruiser tail lights were 5 pins and '78 and older were 4 pins. I could be way off on this. Electricity is an area that always leaves me scratching the melon:hmm: Good luck I'm not far from wiring mine.

I had the same problem with my 65'....the diagrams are **** on the EZ and painless. Took me forever to figure out the problems with the turn signal and brake lights. Luckly someone on mud hooked me up with a 65 wiring diagram!

Anyone want to help me with a 65 wiring diagram?........please?......:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom