Over The Mountain Tour - OTMT August 23 - 27 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These are the plans for this event. It's possible they might change due to someone taking our camping spots though I doubt it. But please keep an eye out on this thread for updates.

Wednesday

Meeting at 3pm at the Ga/SC border on HWY 76. The Bull Sluice parking lot on the SC side before the bridge. I would like us to leave by 3:30. It will take us roughly an hour to get to our campsite. The campsite is on the GA side. If you're late you can find pool creek rd on the Ga side. Take it till it dead ends into Sandy Ford rd. Take a right and follow it all the way down to the river. If for some reason it is full then we will be heading out and hit Earls creek rd which is the next rd north. Please note that this road has a large stream crossing. It's a good 150 ft long and about 2 ft deep. We will be camping at the end of Earls Ford rd if our first campsite is full.

Thursday

That morning we will be leaving about 10. Depending on how many are with us we may split into 2 groups with 1 group leaving 30 min after the other. We will go up to earls ford rd. Cross the War Woman river and then go a spend a few minutes at the Chattooga River then back across War Woman again and North West into the Ga forestry service roads. Nothing on these trails are hard. A stock truck can do these very easily. We will cross up and over Hwy 28 to FS646 (lol) also called Burrells Ford rd where we will stop and have lunch here. The plan is to be there around 12 and leave around 1pm. From there we will cross over into the SC side. We will go South on Hwy 107 to Winding Stairs Road and over to Hwy 130/281 to Jocassee Gorges State park. With the Idea of being there by 2-3pm. We will travel on the gravel road at the end of the last parking lot down to Turkeypen Gap and hang a right to go down to Horse pasture river where we will camp for the night. This trail is a little harder than the others we have been on but I took my lx470 down it with no problems.

Friday

We head out at 10 and take some back roads over to hwy 178 and hit Sassafras mountain for lunch around 12-1. Then back down to Horseshoe Pasture Rd. I'm hoping we can get there friday in time to get the bigger camp spot if not we might have to split up into two groups. If the gate is open past jumping off rock then we will camp down by Lake Jocassee.

Saturday

Leave by 10 and head up hwy 178 to Rosman and then to hwy 215 north to Courthouse falls for lunch around 12. Will hang out there and gather after lunch and stagger groups to head up to our camping spot on the parkway. A preliminary group will head up first and check out the entrance and will report back to us. If we have problems we can make a game time decision on going to Cullowhee and camp or we can have a big party at my buddy's cabin off 215.

Food. I'm bringing a very large cooker and propane that can accommodate 20-40 people. There is no need to bring a bunch of cooking stuff with you. If someone has a coffee maker we can bring for the stove that will be great. I do have a small press. Club or I will provide tacos Friday night. I will also figure out tonight what we can do about breakfast as it just seems like the best idea is to chip in and buy food for breakfast every morning.

Water.
There will be swimming holes we either camp at or visit. The chattooga has swimming and trout. I've caught a few trout right from where we camp. Horsepasture river is where we camp Thursday and has swimming (though it's fast running water) and lots of trout. Saturday we will be swimming at Courthouse Falls before camp. So lot's of places to relax and swim. You will need to bring plenty of water on this trip. There are a few stores we will pass and stop at where you can resupply. One being on Friday and Saturday.

Alcohol. Every place we are going prohibits alcohol. If you want to risk it keep it hidden and in a cup. But the clubs stance is that it's prohibited. You are adults and can make those decisions for yourself.

I will bring the Dancing Goats coffee, but I won't be joining until lunchtime Friday.
Nice. Hopefully no mechanical issues this year. It's my turn.

Headed from ATL on Friday to meet up at lunch spot, Rick what time are you leaving ?

Plan is to meet up with the group Thursday at lunch, provided I can get the hubs back on, brakes bled, oil and coolant changed, and packed up before then. If that's not possible, I'll make it for Friday night so I can bring the family. Anyone else bringing kids?

Who's planning on coming and for what days?

Currently what I know.

Wednesday

Steve
Rob
Marshall
Chris
Daniel
Bryan
Robert

Thursday

Steve
Rob
Marshall
Chris
Eric
David C
Daniel
Bryan
Robert

Friday

Steve
Rob
Marshall
Chris
Eric
Rick
David C
Steve G
Daniel
Bryan
Robert

Saturday

Steve
Rob
Marshall
Chris
Steve
Eric
Rick
David C
Steve G
Daniel
Bryan
Robert

Last edited:
Just a heads up. We will be taking donations or just pooling our money together and buying the stuff for cooking eggs, bacon, sausage, and hashbrowns every morning.

Hey guys just a heads up on weather. Plan on it being mostly in the 70's with a few chances of rain. The first few nights it will be in the high 50's. Saturday the high will be mid 60's with a low in the high 40's. Wind says it will be 5mph so that should translate into 50mph winds up there on the parkway. Lol. Prepare for everything.

Last edited:
If I was only able to come Saturday how are the trails that are planned for that day?
We will all be meeting at courthouse falls for lunch around 12 for a swim. Then up to our place on the parkway that opened yesterday. It's tight with sticks and branches. You will scratch your truck. Trail is very rocky. In fact it's all rock. About 4 obstacles to get over. I've been doing it for 8 years now with the stock 80 and street tires. If you or anyone doesn't want to get their truck scratched you can park in the parking lot on the parkway and throw your stuff in another truck. There will be plenty of seats.

New scratches aren't to big of a deal for me. I think I should be able to make it just for the day Saturday maybe meet y'all right there at the bridge on 178 and drive in and hang out awhile but I won't be able to stay the night since I'll have to get my girlfriend back.

Thursday's nut looking good for me, funeral in Franklin to go to, plus still need to finish front axle. Looking like we'll meet up Friday afternoon

I'll see you guys around noon, tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom