Events/Trails Over the Mountain Tour - 8/20-23 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are the odds that they'll have the sacred road open if they close Courthouse?

The forest service and their mystery closures.....
What are the odds that they'll have the sacred road open if they close Courthouse?
Courthouse closure is due to logging. We are in touch with the FS about the other spot for any surprises.

Shirts ordered! Fingers crossed a herd of Ronas don't block the road for the delivery driver and they get here in time. If you want another, or something different, Reefmonkey has you covered. Last year's design is still available, and they/he/ @jamesurq has been very responsive to requests.
1596724974926.png

After talking to a few people it looks like I’ll be with you guys until you turn off on the trail that goes to the Saturday camp site. After that I’ll split off and go somewhere else. Not quite ready to do heavy pin striping on the 200 yet. Plan to bring the 62 next year so I can do the whole trip.

That being said, what would I be close to Saturday when I split off. I need to figure out where we’ll want to go for Saturday night. Might camp or may hit a hotel. Depends on what’s around and what the GF wants to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Shirts ordered! Fingers crossed a herd of Ronas don't block the road for the delivery driver and they get here in time. If you want another, or something different, Reefmonkey has you covered. Last year's design is still available, and they/he/ @jamesurq has been very responsive to requests.
View attachment 2395177
I haven’t done anything special with shirts but he knocked out this bad ass old school stickers I asked about for the center caps on my wheels really quick. His stuff is really high quality.

Hiked the last site today. Lots of blue berries starting to turn. Maybe we should call it BB Mountain. 😉

The Forest Service has been working on the trail quite a bit. Lots of fresh gravel in areas where erosion was starting to creep or standing water was causing mud. The big hole at the Y is filled now for example. Some of the rock bypasses are now leveled out too, but it is still a rugged road. There has also been no trimming of the vegetation, so it is just as narrow. Overall, it is still rough enough that a Subaru should not try it, but a stock cruiser will have fun if you are okay with pinstripes.
11738F49-33A3-4D63-A777-7D68FB8312B8.jpeg

I was at Trollholes on Friday talking to Marshall about this. He told me what the Forest service communicated to him and I was preparing for the worst. Sounds like we may have come out ok. Appreciate the recon @Bryanseye. Hopefully this resource stays accessible

This sounds like bad news to me, that rock doesn’t look to be spread vehicle width, and no trimming?

This sounds like bad news to me, that rock doesn’t look to be spread vehicle width, and no trimming?
That rock in particular is the reason I took that photo so I can share and recommend to our FS contact it be spaced wider. Better yet, on the downhill side of the trail. A vehicle will fit, but it forces you a little too close to the edge for my liking. Not a big rock though, and can be shifted.

No trimming is the norm

Do you think a LV would make it? I just got it back going this afternoon.

View attachment 2398428
Any stock cruiser will make the trip. My first time was in my stock 62 with little 235 tires. It’s more of a question of how comfortable will you be, and how much you care about pinstripes. If you just got it running I’d suggest some shakedown miles to confirm reliability. It would be pretty sweet to have an LV in the group.

Any stock cruiser will make the trip. My first time was in my stock 62 with little 235 tires. It’s more of a question of how comfortable will you be, and how much you care about pinstripes. If you just got it running I’d suggest some shakedown miles to confirm reliability. It would be pretty sweet to have an LV in the group.
I rode it her 50 miles today with no issue but plan on putting in a couple hundred more this week to feel more confident. Pin striping is not a problem because it has no paint to begin with but she is hot and loud and uncomfortable. I could almost slow cook a brisket in the glove box. I have a reliable fj40 if the LV doesn't check out.

Got the response already, the pictured rocks are on their punch list to be better positioned at that spot.

I rode it her 50 miles today with no issue but plan on putting in a couple hundred more this week to feel more confident. Pin striping is not a problem because it has no paint to begin with but she is hot and loud and uncomfortable. I could almost slow cook a brisket in the glove box. I have a reliable fj40 if the LV doesn't check out.
I would be willing to tow it down the trail just so we have have an LV at high camp. :D

There is a campground on the parkway across from the Pisgah inn.

Any update on what we'll be close to if I break off Saturday When the group turns off for the last camp site? I'd like to research other places to go Saturday night.

20200811_033819.jpg

Any update on what we'll be close to if I break off Saturday When the group turns off for the last camp site? I'd like to research other places to go Saturday night.
Between Rosman and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
There is a campground on the parkway across from the Pisgah inn.
Closed for the Rona.

10 year old Owen wants me to ask if any of you are bringing your kids along? Right now he's planning to come with me and my daughter might join us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom