Other hobbies? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PAToyota

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
So, obviously Toyotas are what brought us all here. But what other hobbies are people into?

Mine:
  • Woodworking - cabinetry, furniture, and my girlfriend is a fine artist who also does woodcarving.
  • Metalworking - welding, sheetmetal work
  • Other vehicles include a ’66 Mustang, ’92 Saab 900S, and ’97 Kawasaki Vulcan
  • Gardening - between the workshop and landscaping, mowing the lawn takes less and less time
  • My girlfriend and I have mountain bikes and kayaks and also do some hiking
  • Then there are probably a few dozen other things I dabble with… :worms:
  • Professionally, I’m a registered architect, so there are a bunch of interests along those lines as well.

Other hobbies?

Shooting sporting clays.
Reloading/hand loading.
Old firearms...collecting...occasionally actually shooting.
Warm water fly fishing....smallmouth, panfish.
Tying flies.
Floating down the creek.

Hiking, overnight backpacking, mountain biking, and kayaking are all out door hobbies myself and my fiancé enjoy but sadly don't get to enjoy enough. I suppose you could call it a hobby, we foster/adopt dogs specifically seniors/boxers. A lot of times it ends up being a "hospice" type sitiustion. It's tough at times but quite rewarding. We have been doing it for about 3 years. Basically since we bought our house, which has limited our outdoor time.

Speaking of house I've also started to dabble in all the home improvement stuff. Recently finished a complet kitchen remodel. Slowly honing my skills in carpentry, home electric, plumbing, and hvac. Some of the basics translate over from my job as a auto technician which helps.

Toyotas have become a recent obsession. I spent the last 10+ years working on VW's professionally, and fixing up old watercooled in my spare time. Went off-roading once in the FJ and promptly sold off all my VW items to help fund my new hobby.

Hobbies! Who has time for hobbies...

I'll go with consumes most of my free time. I coach Soccer at the high school and club level so that's a year round gig between fall, winter league, spring travel and countless tournaments.
When there are breaks from that we like to Kayak, Kayak fish and spend a lot of time on the river in the summer. Used to ski a lot until ACL surgery. Rode motorcross bikes most of my life until I broke everything from the waste up and the wife suggested taking up golfing. LOL!
Still enjoy hiking and get outside almost everyday with my profession. I'm a Licensed Surveyor.
Enjoy woodworking and building. My wife and I enjoy live music and try to get once or twice a month. Used to brew beer until soccer took over. I'd like to get a few batches done this winter if possible.
The rest of my money is always getting stashed away for Toyota improvement.

@dci blair, I had a 72 BAJA conversion and a 73 superbeetle years ago. Also a 77 rabbit w/ a 83 GTI engine in it. What a fun little car.

@joabmc if you are a surveyor I'd love to talk. When we bought we were given "over there by that tree" type property lines. I had an 89 golf and the only thing stock was the body. It was by no means "fast" but it was way quick and a back road shredder. I still lust to build a split window bus but the prices of them lately seems to have sidelined that project. Currently I lust for a fzj55 project. When the $$ presents itself I will enlist @shmukster to help me find the iron pig of my dreams.

Great idea! Good way to learn a bit about each other.
I am a professional welder. Most of my work involves stainless steel. I also have 2 machines at home. A 12v MIG that I run .030 gasless Flux core on and a 160A AC/DC TIG welder. It also has a 40A plasma cutter. Gotta love cutting 1/2" steel at home!

I home brew, mostly dark beers. Im not in on the hoppy craze that has taken over craft beer.

I also have a electric smoker I play with. It's a great way too cook.

As you guessed. Im a bit of a foodie. I often drive 25 miles out if my way for breakfast at the Tomcat Caffè in sinking spring.

No kids and no plans for any, but my wife and I still like them.

I do a bit of gaming, favorets are The Last of Us and anything from the Uncharted series.

We like to paddle board as well as hike and ride bikes. Although we often don't have time for the hiking and biking.

Kudos to you @dci blair for your fostering/adopting. I’ve done that as well. Right now we just have two cats, but definitely want to get dogs back in the house.

@joabmc, I wish you were closer to the Harrisburg area. I’ve been having a heck of a time finding a decent surveyor down here. Last guy took over six months to finish two 1/4 acre town lot surveys for me.

@jamarquardt22, I have a Syncrowave 250DX, Millermatic 250X, and Hypertherm Powermax 1100 in house - gotta love cutting 1-1/4” steel at home! :woot:

Day Hiking, Backpacking, Photography, Model Railroading, Writing, restoring our circa 1910s Craftsman home, taste tester of bourbons, single malts, and rye whiskeys.

Great idea! Good way to learn a bit about each other.
I am a professional welder. Most of my work involves stainless steel. I also have 2 machines at home. A 12v MIG that I run .030 gasless Flux core on and a 160A AC/DC TIG welder. It also has a 40A plasma cutter. Gotta love cutting 1/2" steel at home!

I home brew, mostly dark beers. Im not in on the hoppy craze that has taken over craft beer.

I also have a electric smoker I play with. It's a great way too cook.

As you guessed. Im a bit of a foodie. I often drive 25 miles out if my way for breakfast at the Tomcat Caffè in sinking spring.

No kids and no plans for any, but my wife and I still like them.

I do a bit of gaming, favorets are The Last of Us and anything from the Uncharted series.

We like to paddle board as well as hike and ride bikes. Although we often don't have time for the hiking and biking.
You must stop in and visit me over in nearby Wernersville while visiting the Tomcat Cafe. I see the lines there, is it worth standing out in the rain for their food?

@rubicondon53, my father and I were into model railroading when I was younger. Unfortunately, other things took more and more time and it got set aside. I’m disappointed that with all the computer modeling and rendering that building models in architecture are few and far between.

Also, our house is a Craftsman Bungalow built in the mid-20s. Our restorations and renovations are a labor of love.

The navigator and I both compete in smallbore prone rifle shooting. This is .22 cal target rifles firing on round bullseye targets at 50 and 100 yards.

I shoot with a sling for support, she shoots F T/R class from a bipod.

Used to compete in Highpower matches with an M1A Supermatch, but not so much anymore.

You must stop in and visit me over in nearby Wernersville while visiting the Tomcat Cafe. I see the lines there, is it worth standing out in the rain for their food?
You bet it's worth it! He get there before they open at 8:00 and stand in line outside. They can fill up fast then your stuck waiting around. Look up the menu online. If you like spicy food. Check out Highway to Hell.

@dci blair, the Philly area is a little too far me and we don't have much work in that area. I can help you and take a look at your deed and might be able to link you up w/ a colleague that has a large project in that area. PM me and I'll give my contact info.

@PAToyota, most of our work is in the capital region. We do a lot of eng./ prelim. And construction surveying. Needless to say, not much of that going on in Mifflin and Juniata Counties.
I have active projects in Dauphin, Cumberland, York, Adams, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh and Berks counties. If you have something, shoot me a line and I'll gladly take a look at it.

FYI, work is not a Hobbie.
Not to say that it can't be fun.
Previously I repaired pressure vessels....now I over see the repair of pressure vessels....among other things.

20151207_132330.jpg

20151207_140956.jpg

20161008_132027.jpg

Awesome to see such variety.

My profession started as a hobby, working on cars, from a kid, I always liked to tinker and take things apart, I just have to put them back together now.....

I mainly dabble in a variety of different things.

Occasionally fiddle with LEGO, usually the Technic series.

Trying to get back into model railroading after a Christmas gift from and in-law received this year (have O gauge burried in the basement of my parents house, working on collecting some HO gauge now of the Norfolk and Western Line).

Currently have a Lexus SC400 sitting in my garage awaiting a build plan with a friend (originally was going to be a '24 hour Lemons' car but most of the team backed out, buddy wants to throw a 100 shot of nitrous, I want to fix it up a bit and go from there. If we end up scrapping it, possibly put the engine in the 4Runner or find an 80 to put it in, thoughts?)

Occasionally the old gaming consoles get fired up, along the line of what Andy likes, the Uncharted series tops it for me.

Biggest hobby has now become Harry homeowner, with the purchase of our house comes a laundry list of things to change to make it feel like ours.

@joabmc - Will do!

@brian - HO scale here and a wide range of scales for architectural models. And I’d say that work can be a hobby if you’re not depending on the income. I know a few people whose “work” is their hobby - basically people who retired, sold their company, and now have a job they do for the passion of it.

what scale?
HO,, The entire pike was in boxes for over 25 years. I just got a set of (circa 1989) Alco RS3s detailed and running... Stewart Models.. I do all my own painting and detailing, modelng the Maine Central, I like the colors, Maroon and Gold or Green and Gold..

My wife claims I have too many hobbies and she may be right:

Hunting
Fishing
Trapping
Hiking
Kayaking
Climbing
Hunting Indian artifacts
Woodworking
Camping
Bonfires on the patio
My two kids