Opinions please. (1 Viewer)

I bought this 96 FJZ80 last weekend with the intention of parting it out. Now I'm not so sure.
20200725_102623.jpg

The bad:
The engine is knocking a bit, sounds like maybe the main bearings and it smokes after it has warmed up. It does not sound like rod knock to me. It is a re-manufactured engine with about 10K miles on it supposedly. It feels strong but it definitely needs some work. The rear axle housing is bent and the drive axle/shaft on that side has the flange broken off. Looks like the clutch on the AC compressor needs a new bearing. It needs tires too. The seats are pretty worn out along with the rest of the interior

The good:
It has front and rear e-lockers as well as the center diff lock. It has an OME 2.5" lift springs with shocks, A replacement set of Nitro Rear axles, A roof rack and a Snorkel. I did get the rear axle back on it this morning and drove it slowly around the shop in Front wheel drive Low-range. The tranny seems to shift fine and the center and front locker work. The rear driveshaft and differential were out of the truck. I took the rear diff apart because it was full of dust and grit from sitting in a barn. I cleaned it all up and put in a new crush sleeve and pinion seal. The locker actuator works well.

My question is: Should I put it back in service or continue on with the part out? Thanks!

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Pls let me know if you are parting out locker axles and harness. What would want for the whole truck. Located in Dallas. Pls PM me.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Bottom end bearings the most common failure on these engines besides head gasket. Bad BEB can cause piston slap as well.

Sounds like a bad rebuild or it was run low on oil.

Cheers

Bottom end bearings the most common failure on these engines besides head gasket. Bad BEB can cause piston slap as well.

Sounds like a bad rebuild or it was run low on oil.

Cheers
Bottom end as in Big end of the rod or Mains on the crank? or both? edit: I found lots of information on the 1HD's but not on the 1FZ's yet.

Buy a used good engine and drop in it, put it back in service.

Buy a replacement used rear axle housing, install the locking diff, and put it back in service.

@arcteryx is in TX. Check to see what he has for used parts.

Save them when you can.

I'm sure someone will want to buy it for $20K after you get it running......... ;) :rofl:

I'm with @White Stripe, if rusty, part it out, if solid, fix it.

I'm in the final phase of bringing a dead '96 FZJ back to life. Lower end was shot, with a knock that would make your hair stand up. Body and most running gear were in very good condition so I took a less orthodox route and transplanted an lq4 into it, along with a 4l60e trans. The Toyota trans appeared to be fine, but the new engine/trans came as a package and adapters are easy to come by for the 4l60e to Toyota transfer case. I have the oem engine and trans if anyone is interested.

YMT

I say, if it's not rusted out, part out the drivetrain, swap some tons and 42's and a Cummins or V8 in it, and beat the snot out of it.

You'll probably make up in FZJ parts to pay for most of the one ton parts.

Good news!

I washed all the mud off of the undercarriage and there is no rust. I also cleaned up the dash and the glove box. In the glove box I found a note that said "Power steering pump" and nothing else. That jogged my memory about a ps pump potentially causing a knocking noise. I did a quick Google search and discovered that this pump is gear driven and often the drive gear gets mangled when swapping it over. I removed the pump and the noise is gone! I started cleaning up the gear but ran out of time for today. Now I just need to deal with engine burning oil/smoking, which I hope is just valve seals.
20200801_161126.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom