Opinions on rust on 2011 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI guys,

I've lurked on this site for a long time, and I've found a a 1 owner 2011 with regular maintenance at a great price. The inside is really clean and the body appears to be in great shape. The only issue is that its located in Wisconsin. I asked for pics of the underbody, and this is what it looks like. Would this be a deal breaker?
2011Underbody1.jpg
2011Underbody2.jpg
2011Underbody3.jpg
2011Underbody4.jpg
2011Underbody5.jpg

You are in TX... no one from down south goes north to buy trucks... I guess it depends on the price and that's not the worst set of rust pics I've seen by any means, but if it were me I'd search out southern or desert states. My '08 has zero rust. Lifetime in GA.

Depends on the price. It seems to be surface rust for the most part, weld seams etc. If it's truly a very good deal and wire brushing it, re-painting and coating it with a rust inhibitor is a weekend project you wouldnt mind tackling I'd consider it as long as everything else checks out.

I bought an 09 from Massachusetts with 80K miles on it 4 months ago. It looked similar to this. Have them make sure they can get the KDSS valves moving. From the looks of it I'd guess it'll take a little elbow grease.

Last edited:
If regular maintenance has indeed been done, then the bolts indicated below would have been removed for each oil filter change:

2011Underbody1_zpscrxt5fxi.jpg

However, they look no less rusted than the other bolts. I would expect them to be more worn/less rusted than the others, but they are not.

Oddly, the "F" in the picture indicates where the oil filter is located, but that does not give me confidence that it was actually changed.

No way to know for sure, of course, but I'd pass on this one and hold out for something that looks better.

HTH

HI guys,

I've lurked on this site for a long time, and I've found a a 1 owner 2011 with regular maintenance at a great price. The inside is really clean and the body appears to be in great shape. The only issue is that its located in Wisconsin. I asked for pics of the underbody, and this is what it looks like. Would this be a deal breaker?View attachment 1451637 View attachment 1451638 View attachment 1451639 View attachment 1451640 View attachment 1451641
No go. Look in California . No rain = rust free 200.

Check out LA, Texas, Arizona. LA always has em for sale and most aren't even dusty. ;)

I guess a bit more info on this, it has 137k miles and is 28k. I was able to see the service history on the Toyota owners website, it was serviced every 5k miles regularly. Has new tires, brakes done recently, etc

Like others have said I would pass. I've passed on some with less rust. That's not a great deal for a 200 with that kind of rust.

It looks like the original Dunlop spare tire. If so, make sure the spare tire winch works. That can get rust-welded and not work if it hasn't been off for 6 years.

Also, you need to get a new camera. The one you have is defective and taking upside-down photos.

I guess a bit more info on this, it has 137k miles and is 28k. I was able to see the service history on the Toyota owners website, it was serviced every 5k miles regularly. Has new tires, brakes done recently, etc

I would walk.

That's not a bad deal for a clean '11 truck. I don't think that one qualifies though. We've seen worse on here but if you are not in a hurry why settle for that rust? I've got 2 LC's originally from TX and they are clean as a whistle underneath. No need to go to Wisconsin to get a rust prone vehicle. Getting a deal on a clean LC is a patient mans game. That is for sure. I can only imagine what the KDSS valve looks like on that thing!

@Sandroad that is obviously an Australian camera.

@tabraha, Of course, I forgot about the Aussie camera models. I was distracted by the other high-end stuff in the photos; a restored International Harvester truck and a MasterCraft boat/trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom