opinions on lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jtwopark

live, eat, sleep Land Cruiser!!!
Threads
I am getting ready to add lockers to my rig and just wanted to see if this is a good idea. I am looking into adding extra traction for the least amount of money.

first of all, i am planning on doing some aussie or detroits in the rear with AWD intact. then add air lockers to the front using TJM air lockers.

It is not really a daily driver but I do use the rig on the streets. 70% road and 30% off the road.

while I am at it, I will look into regearing to 4.88s. what parts would i need for this? please point me in the right direction.

What would be the most cost effective way for me to add traction aid?

I would like to take the rig to the Rubicon next year! This is probably the hardest trail that I plan on going to.

Thanks in advance

I bought a locker but don't have one in my 80. My advice is to be very cautious when choosing a brand, all are not created equal or supported equally.

I did arbs been very happy with them stronger then stock Yota lockers, I would do a Detroit over a Aussie locker be stronger and better

What would be the most cost effective way for me to add traction aid?

Lots of owners have had good results with an Aussie in the rear. Good, cost effective, traction increase.

I am in the same boat but I do mostly streets and even when I do to offroad I need to drive over 100 miles to get to any descent offroading spots. So which is the best and smoothest rear auto locker? I've heard nothing but good things about Aussie and Detroit locker is strong nut not very smooth. I was reading about other lockers too jus wondering what are people's personal experience?

Thanks

The only locker I have experience with besides my e-lockers is the one Yukon makes.

No weird noises or chirping when driving on the street and taking turns if you keep your foot out of it. Works awesome off road. This was in a Corp 14 bolt rear end, not a 'yota though. Never heard anything bad about Aussies either.

I have been running a lock right in the rear for quite awhile now with some hard wheeln on it and it has been fine, pretty much the same thing as an aussie.

with the AWD system of the 80 it is not noticeble in the rear at all.

You cannot really go wrong with an aussie or lockright locker in the rear

I do not think that a detroit is a good choice, I have heard to many mixed reviews about durability

Just having the locker in the rear will increase the capability of your rig by alot, enough to really consider getting a winch

Dont forget the armor, if you are going to lock your rig I hope you have plenty of armor to protect the fat pig

Last edited:
I use an Aussie in the rear and factory e-lock up front. Works like a charm. I DD mine and never had an issue or complaint.

I have been running a lock right in the rear for quite awhile now with some hard wheeln on it and it has been fine, pretty much the same thing as an aussie.

with the AWD system of the 80 it is not noticeble in the rear at all.

You cannot really go wrong with an aussie or lockright locker in the rear

I do not think that a detroit is a good choice, I have heard to many mixed reviews about durability

Just having the locker in the rear will increase the capability of your rig by alot, enough to really consider getting a winch

Same as my experience. Put in a lockrite yourself in one evening. No need to mess with gear setup or anything. Cost is $350 for the locker, a gallon of gear oil, and a tube of FIPG sealant.

After that, go wheeling and decide whether or not you wish to spend the $1k+ to install a front locker, or whether you'd rather spend that on a winch and fuel for your thirsty rig. Or towards a tire upgrade, etc.

Same as my experience. Put in a lockrite yourself in one evening. No need to mess with gear setup or anything. Cost is $350 for the locker, a gallon of gear oil, and a tube of FIPG sealant.

After that, go wheeling and decide whether or not you wish to spend the $1k+ to install a front locker, or whether you'd rather spend that on a winch and fuel for your thirsty rig. Or towards a tire upgrade, etc.

Excellent advice.

I put an Aussie in the rear in 2008 and have loved it. It can be heard doing right turns in the parking lot but mostly I don't notice it. I haven't felt the need for a front locker. I may do an axle swap some day.

Yep I put my auto locker in the rear because I wanted simple and no chance of leaking air lines or bad electric actuators. I did it after a trip to Hidden Falls and forgot just how long it had been since I wheeled a truck open/open and it sucked. Put the rear locker in and it's just right for the mall crawler needs of my current truck. Great easy mod.

does anyone have the right part number for the aussie locker or the powertrax locker for a 93 free float rearend?

Toyota 8.875in. 30 Spline Lock Right Locker
By Power Trax

Part Number: PTX1630-LR

is this the correct part number? where is the best place to buy an aussie or powertrax?

Toyota 8.875in. 30 Spline Lock Right Locker
By Power Trax

Part Number: PTX1630-LR

is this the correct part number? where is the best place to buy an aussie or powertrax?

I am leaning forward powertrax too because I heard it is smoother and completely silent. Has anyone installed a powertra locker on an 80?

Last edited:
if trying to get away from air lines and compressors...would a detroit truetrac(limited slip) be the way to go for the front and a aussie or powertrax in the rear? or am i making this more complicated than it already is?

if trying to get away from air lines and compressors...would a detroit truetrac(limited slip) be the way to go for the front and a aussie or powertrax in the rear? or am i making this more complicated than it already is?

Limited slip is a total waste for any type of off road in the front axle.

Start with the rear aussie locker and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom