ONLINE DEAL: 5 Gal Scepter Water Cans $16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had four full of water sitting on thier sides, stacked on top of each other for 4 months without a leak. I took one in my cruiser on a 3 day offroad trip without a leak. They are the same as the MWC from scepter. I think your good to go.

I just recieved my 4 and am impressed by the quality. I've never handled the fuel cans so its hard to say how they compare.

I had some ass hat break the lock of my jerrycan holder and steal one of my wedco cans that had 2 gallons of bad gas in it. The dumbass left the 2 empty cans. they probably would have been safe if they were labeled water :D

So this leads me to find a cheaper alternative to the "banned" $$$ cans.
Looking at the cap, it looks like it would be pretty easy to install a viton o-ring around the main cap as well as the pour spout and breather. All you would need to do would be to sand the top of the threaded portion fla,t where the orings would seat.

The only thing that might be difficult would be to make a spout with threads to match the top of the cap, and have hose barbs on the other end to accept a clear vinyl hose. Any ideas? I'm sure the HDPE is fine for holding fuel.

Thanks for your input tltaylor22

I was wondering how long it would take before someone started flipping these on ebay. Search Sceptor.

Mine got here today. :bounce: Damn, these are nice!!!

anyone verify that these can be used for gasoline? Looks like they have desert tan and green colors. Maybe 2 tan for water and 2 green for gas. It would be awesome to have high quality fuel cans for 16 bucks! So anybody do it yet???

The only thing that might be difficult would be to make a spout with threads to match the top of the cap, and have hose barbs on the other end to accept a clear vinyl hose. Any ideas? I'm sure the HDPE is fine for holding fuel.

Anyone have issues with hoseclamps? I think a small hose clamp would hold the hose on just fine. :cheers: I'll have to look tomorrow, but it may be standard garden hose thread.

Other than the hose clamp being inconvenient, it might work, although the threads might allow fuel to leak. I'm pretty sure the threads are quite a bit bigger than hose threads.

I've been using these for years for jetski's and motorcycles and they work great. They just aren't convenient to carry mounted on the cruiser or very durable. They use a clear spout that threads on with hose threads and fill very fast. How are these still legal when the much higher quality scepter cans are banned?

anyone verify that these can be used for gasoline? Looks like they have desert tan and green colors. Maybe 2 tan for water and 2 green for gas. It would be awesome to have high quality fuel cans for 16 bucks! So anybody do it yet???

If someone can post up pics of inside the cap and top of the opening we could see if these are designed like Sceptors, or may accept a viton seal as mentioned earlier.

The Sceptor MWC's have a tapered mouth and corresponding lid. I havent received mine yet to check.

Heres a pic i "borrowed" showing the mouth on a Sceptor MFC for comparison sake.

MFCmouth.jpg

And a pic of my Sceptor MWC mouth.

ScepterMWC2.jpg

Last edited:
This place has new 20l steel NATO oil cans for $20 plus shipping... (buying 4 would get them to me at about $25 each shipped.)

These are not fuel cans per se... they have a wider mouth and this supplier doesn't have spouts that fit but I'll bet there are some out there!

NATO OIL CAN, 20L

Mark

Like has been said, the MWC has a much wider mouth than the MFC. There is no way to hook a MFC spout to an MWC. That being said, I have experimented pouring water out of the MWC to see if there is spilling or if they don't drain correctly because of the lack of the breather going up in to the top of the can on the MFC. What I did was to hook a hose to the 1"water spout on the MWC lid and turn the can over. As it started to empty I then opened the screw bleeder on the lid and the can emptied very quickly. No water came out of the bleeder. I think the water cans could drain gas just fine. The bigger issue is sealing the lid. The MFC's have a wider sealing surface and use the viton seal. Your regular red home depot gas cans use the same principle as the MWC to seal, A tapered lip with the cap wedging over it. I wondered about just installing a viton oring in the cap or machining the cap to take a flat gasket. I think you would also need to install a small viton seal on the bleeder. I even toyed around with plastic welding a ring of HDPE in the lip of the can so there would be a wider sealing surface. I should have two green cans to experiment with in a week or so. I have 8 MFC's and several metal Jerry cans, but am can't resist playing around with conveting MWC to fuel.

Mark, many thanks for posting this link, we just got our Austin group buy cans yesterday!:
water cans.JPG

What I did was to hook a hose to the 1"water spout on the MWC lid

How did you attach the hose? Is it standard garden hose thread?

Mark, many thanks for posting this link, we just got our Austin group buy cans yesterday!:

You are welcome... it makes me happy to be able to point out a good deal... I've gotten a lot of info and ideas from you all (well, MOST of you anyway - the rest of you just suck... ;) )

I had some thin wall flexible Vinyl tube at work that fit over the nozzle. the hose wouldn't work for fuel. I believe the thread is an ACME thread of some sort. I was going to lathe one out at work and make an adapter for some large fuel line. In reality if you can get these cans to seal, a lot of people empty thier fuel cans with a siphon hose anyway.

I had some thin wall flexible Vinyl tube at work that fit over the nozzle. the hose wouldn't work for fuel. I believe the thread is an ACME thread of some sort. I was going to lathe one out at work and make an adapter for some large fuel line. In reality if you can get these cans to seal, a lot of people empty thier fuel cans with a siphon hose anyway.

I'm guessing gas is harder to seal than water? Pressure build up when the can gets warmer... smaller molecules for gas vs water? Plus a water leak is usually less of a problem than gas....

Thoughts?

woytovich, just wanted to thank you again. Received 1/2 my order and after comparing to my Scepter i'm thrilled with the purchase. :beer:

I'v read even the Scepter MFC leak if overfilled. They recommend only filling to the 20L mark. I'm tempted to use one of these cans for fuel but the lack of sealing and expansion has me not wanting to ruin a can. I'll keep looking for some MFC's.

woytovich, just wanted to thank you again. Received 1/2 my order and after comparing to my Scepter i'm thrilled with the purchase. :beer:

I'v read even the Scepter MFC leak if overfilled. They recommend only filling to the 20L mark. I'm tempted to use one of these cans for fuel but the lack of sealing and expansion has me not wanting to ruin a can. I'll keep looking for some MFC's.

Well come to the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic in Pine Grove, PA in July... you can give me that beer in person!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom