OME 851, 850 & 850J what is the difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
OME 851, 850 & 850j what is the difference?

Yes, beside the free height & lift height…

I have been doing a lot of research on the difference on the OME front springs.

I have seen hundreds of posts, pictures & charts to compare.

The only thing I haven’t seen is them sitting side by side & how many winds they have.

So will someone tell me how many winds each have & any pictures of them sitting next to each other to compare with.

The chart reads them to all be the same pounds per of 220lbs & a wire size of .669”
LATER EDITED: THIS CHART HAS THE WRONG INFORMATION... CONTINUE TO READ THE WHOLE THREAD TILL THE END.
20151021_134258.png

On paper it looks to have the same ride & stiffness, but in the real world are the 850 & J a stiffer ride than an 851? (With same rig per say)

It would be nice to have the money to just order them all & have fun, but that’s not going to happen on my end.

This is kind of a shop owner question so to speak or a guy that has been in a lot of different 80 series rigs.

Thank you for your time.
Gary

Last edited:
Ah, grasshoppa. Now you're seeing the things that drive me nuts till I just said F it. An OME 2.5" (851/860) lift doesn't give you 2.5". Well, it might from tired springs but not from new OEM springs. Search for my thread that talks about new OEM height compared to what an OME 850/860 lift gave me (I think it was 1" in front and 0" in rear).

oh, this is new to me too... i think i may need to replace my tired 850s with the J springs if it's not going to affect my ride quality any
i installed a MAF spacer on the drivers side and it's a lot closer to being even left to right now....

may make my lack of caster correction a bit more of a problem, though...

i'm thinking with a shortbus and a 9000lb winch J springs don't seem like a terrible idea... even just new 850s would probably be fine...

You're well on your way of going nuts like I did over measurements. They flat out just don't match what they're advertised to be & the 'matching' shock lengths are not optimum for their respective springs, either.

So what springs do I want with stock OEM Tokico shocks? I will be running 33" tires. One of the OME springs or OEM springs?

If I were to do that, had no extra armor & OEM is the same price or cheaper, I'd go OEM. I think they'll last longer & probably made better.

So, back to my 3 original questions:
1) How many wraps does the 851, 850 & 850J have?
2) Does anyone have a picture of the 3 side by side to compare?
3) How does the 3 springs feel with the same loaded rig?

Last edited:
Been wondering what to do with 850J that have sagged? View attachment 1151252
Great thank you. @red mud fj

That's one of the three Q's answered.

Looks like from that chart that I never have seen, great info.

# of turns:
851 = 8.18
850 = 9
850J = 9.9

OK, so would more turns constitute a stronger spring?

Last edited:
1) Wraps:
OEM - 8
851 - 8
850 - 9.75
850J - just shy of 10 (9 7/8th)

**ETA** You beat me to it. I was googling pics of each & counting!

2) No sorry

3) They 'technically' should all feel the same, just different heights.

OK, so would more wraps constitute a stronger spring?
No. Wire diameter plays a huge role. Also how tight it's wound will also change it slightly.

Ok, so you Googled & counted...
The chart reads the 850 as 9.
I guess it can be confusing how & wear to start the count. At least I do.:hmm:

Last edited:
What, exactly, is it you're trying to figure out? I've probably already done the research & have the answer you seek! My OCD is bad w/this damn truck. And guns. :skull:

Im just tying to wrap my head around my actual lift from stock i am. And how OME engineered the springs & how they came about the lift heights.

I belive we are on the same page but you are ahead of me. I am a measuring OCD addict. I'm coming to the same conclusions you have just a year later than you. You have posted some great threads.

The OME L shocks don't make sence thread.
I run mediums with Ls which they say don't work.

How the FSM measures factory height.
Stock being 1.5" in front 4" in rear. Measured at the rubber bumps to the stops. Mine is 4"ish front & 5" rear. According to that I have a 1.5" front & 1" rear lift.

Then with the way Darren M. Auto Craft Aus measures from bottom of rim to bottom of fender I have a 2" lift.

If you measure from center of hub to bottom of fender of 20" being stock then I have a 2.5" lift.

It looks like my lift 851 plus 25mm spacer is a 2" lift rather than a 3" I thought I had. 3" was from my 18 year old stock wore out LX springs.

This is all just today's lesson for myself.

But I still would like to see some pictures of those springs side by side if not for me but for historical purpose.

Last edited:
It looks like my lift is a 2" lift rather than a 3" I thought I had. 3" was from my 18 year old stock wore out LX springs.
The OME 851/860 lift is advertised as a 50mm lift. That's 1.9685" so a 2" lift. My big question was :
2" lift from a NEW 80 or 2" lift from an 80 w/wore out springs.

It appears it's from wore out springs. Another big question is, is that how all lift companies are measuring their lifts or are some/all the others going off the NEW 80 height?

I have 851/860's & I'd like 2" more in front & 1" in rear, w/out using spacers. I agree how most on here measure vs. how Mr. T measures vs. Darren only adds to the confusion. The quest continues!

It looks like my lift is a 2" lift rather than a 3" I thought I had. 3"

It's always smaller and depressing once you measure it! :(

Hate to be the outlier here.
I put 3 inch heavies In the front and 3 inch J's in the rear. Pretty sure. Basically the biggest heaviest OME I could get. I must have been a sagging something serious cuz my front went up 3 and my rear went up a little more than 4.
I fantasize about getting a winch, a long ranger 44 gal fuel tank and a dual swing out bumper. That's why the overkill.
I'd of gotten the 2" heavies if I could do it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom