Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It has been mentioned to me that the "OME shocks" seem out of place for a restoration to mostly period correct looks. My answer to that is, despite the yellow color they aren't OME shocks. And therein lies a bit of a tale.

My plan all along had been to buy a set of small diameter stock looking shocks, and to paint them black (if they weren't already that color). Maybe basic Monroe-matics, or KYB GR2 or the like. Something that would look close to factory.

But when I took the shocks off during the frame refresh, I found they were old-school non-gas Sears "Heavy Duty" shocks. Yes, for you youngsters out there, Sears Roebucks used to sell their own line of shocks.

As it happens, back in the '60s my dad swore that Sears Heavy Duty were the finest shocks available for trucks and vans. I know that I helped him install more than one set of those as a kid.

And these shocks still seem good. No oil leaks, good feel through the entire range of travel.

So—in memory of my dad—I cleaned them to determine the original color, repainted and reinstalled them. Had to do it...

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 3.30.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Cool, in the mid 70's all I would buy was Sears shocks, guaranteed for at least a year, I'd wear them out and get a new set every spring. Along with my Die Hard battery.

So your house color looks close to River Blue. Nice!

The new OEM shocks I just got for my 45 are black.

Looks closer to Judson green to me ;)

And the oe shocks I got for annie were black also

Love the river blue...making me really consider it for something

House color is even more greenish than River is.

And the oe shocks I got for annie were black also
Which is why I originally was going to go with a black shock.

Love the river blue...making me really consider it for something
I'm totally happy with River, it looks great! Eager to get the tub painted and back on the frame.

More parts home today. Getting rather anxious, I want to start reassembly NOW! Fenders and hood are not home yet, they were still in the booth when I stopped in.

Was originally planning on not repainting the bezel, retaining its 55 years of mild patina. Now, I don't think it's good enough. Need to figure out a match for the early bezel color, early rigs are not Cygnus, it is more creamy than that. Probably Shell Ivory, but what will match that comes in a rattle can is the question.

img_1261-jpg.1777092

img_1263-jpg.1777093

img_1259-jpg.1777091

img_1255-jpg.1777089

img_1256-jpg.1777090

Hood and fenders shown last post while in the booth are home now. Put a few bits on the hood. Repairs to tub are almost done. Painting should begin next week. Might not be ready to come home that week, but probably the next.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing worthy of pictures lately. I've been cleaning and refinishing parts in anticipation of having the tub back and being able to begin reassembly.

Most body work on the tub is complete, they were just beginning to block it when I was there yesterday. It might be done late next week, but possibly early the following week.

I'm trying to clear my schedule in preparation for reassembly, as my wife and I are planning a trip to the coast in mid-to-late October, and we think the 250-300 mile trip would be a good shakedown for the 40. That's an aggressive timeline, even for me, so some detail items may be put off until later. Focus will be on functionally complete and weather-tight (or as much so as a soft top can be).

This is where your pictures will come in handy. Kind of like seeing Bigfoot. "Really, those springs _inside_ the seat are powder coated!":rofl:

Fresh powder coat on bezel. RAL 7044, called Silk Gray. Seems to be a close match with early Shell Ivory. Original looked much better in picture than in real life. Just wasn't good enough to go with all the fresh paint and such.

Before:

img_1261-jpg.1777092

After:

IMG_1303.jpg

Interesting about that powdercoat color. Swatches show it to be, well, "gray," but your photo sure shows a definite ivory shade. Nice job !

Interesting about that powdercoat color. Swatches show it to be, well, "gray," but your photo sure shows a definite ivory shade. Nice job !
Yeah, I wouldn't have picked that color based on just swatches. But the shop had some parts already in the color that I could compare real parts to the existing bezel. I'm pleased with the end result.

Driver's side re-done (re-stretched the seat back vinyl). Also got the large seat cushion done today. These larger parts take a lot longer to get right.

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

Extremely nice Arne. One of my PO dinks on my rig is JB Weld on the bottom plate of my seats. Don’t tell anyone. 10 years and they’re still holding together. I’ll trade if your interested. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom