Oil viscosity advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was planning on doing an oil change in my 1991 3FE FJ80 now that it's finally above freezing.
I ran 10W30 last year in the summer and planned to use it again. I used 5W30 this winter, just based off the owner's manual from 1991.
I went to the town mechanic (only shop for 500 km) and asked for 10 L of 10W30. He said he hasn't seen it in 10-15 years (lies! haha).
In the absence of 10W30, what kind of oil should I run? They've got 0w40, 5w30, 5w40 and 15w40.
Can I make any of these work, or should I just send away from some 10W30 or 10W40?

I've read the oil viscosity threads, but I just want some frank advice here.
Temperatures will be around 15-30 Celsius this summer.

Sounds like you could just run 5w30 all year.

30C you could go with 10w30. What's your low in the winter?

30C you could go with 10w30. What's your low in the winter?

Low in winter is -40ish.
There's no 10W30 to be had locally, though.
I guess 5W30 and 10W30 are the same weight at operating temperature, so that's one point for just sticking with 5W30.

My 3FE loves 15w40 year-round with 288k miles. I like the idea of the thicker oil with the high miles. When I had the head/valve seals done 10k ago the machine shop said the 15w40 was the way to go in old cruisers (and he's a 2F cruiser nut himself). Much like politics though, every mechanic has a different answer for a different reason.

My 3FE loves 15w40 year-round with 288k miles. I like the idea of the thicker oil with the high miles. When I had the head/valve seals done 10k ago the machine shop said the 15w40 was the way to go in old cruisers (and he's a 2F cruiser nut himself). Much like politics though, every mechanic has a different answer for a different reason.

My first question when he said he had no 10W30 was whether he had any 15W40. I like the idea, but I'm a little scared to make the switch. Are there any problems that could arise from switching from a low weight to a high weight oil?

My 3FE loves 15w40 year-round with 288k miles. Much like politics though, every mechanic has a different answer for a different reason.

Oil, politics & religion - the 3 ways to start a fight.

To OP, where are you? 10w30 is still a staple oil on racks here in WA state.
I been between 10-30 & 5-30, but it freezes here ~20-30 nites in Winter.

Lately though just ran 10w30 year 'round. Just my experience.

Oil, politics & religion - the 3 ways to start a fight.

To OP, where are you? 10w30 is still a staple oil on racks here in WA state.
I been between 10-30 & 5-30, but it freezes here ~20-30 nites in Winter.

Lately though just ran 10w30 year 'round. Just my experience.

I'm in the Northwest Territories of Canada, just over 60 degrees latitude.

I'm in the Northwest Territories of Canada, just over 60 degrees latitude.

Ok, gotcha - yeah, I get you now.

Yeah, I've been through Beaver Creek (Beaver Junction? - I forget) -just once (way up tight to AK border) - just in "summer" read: bug season.

I've ran 5w30 Mobil 1 for a majority of my years owning 1FZ motors, it really was the last few years I went 10w30.

Yeah, esp since you're probably in the same kinda town that place was, and considering what supplies were like there, I'd say 5w30 as your ambient doesn't break 70*f but what -20-30 days? At least if anything like what I seem to recall of that whole Western edge of where I was.

I use 10W30 (Mobile) year round (-30C to 30C). Tried 15W40 once and didn't like it.

Another vote for 15w40 (I run Rotella). I run it year round in the mountains of Oregon with no issues. I let it idle a bit in arctic weather while I scrape the windows, but not to full operating temp. Plus, it slows down the oil leaks!

I was planning on doing an oil change in my 1991 3FE FJ80 now that it's finally above freezing.
I ran 10W30 last year in the summer and planned to use it again. I used 5W30 this winter, just based off the owner's manual from 1991.
I went to the town mechanic (only shop for 500 km) and asked for 10 L of 10W30. He said he hasn't seen it in 10-15 years (lies! haha).
In the absence of 10W30, what kind of oil should I run? They've got 0w40, 5w30, 5w40 and 15w40.
Can I make any of these work, or should I just send away from some 10W30 or 10W40?

I've read the oil viscosity threads, but I just want some frank advice here.
Temperatures will be around 15-30 Celsius this summer.

Order what you want from Amsoil, shows up on your doorstep from the nearest warehouse.

Rotella 5-40 all day erry day.

Find out the 3FE oil recommendations from Toyota for the rest of the world. Use that.
I Believe much of the newer oils don't contain "zinc" ? additive for solid lifters-which your motor has- I'd make sure oil contain it. Pretty sure 5/40 15/40 oils for diesel DO. Search this one. PLENTY of threads on this subject.

The rotella oils do contain the zinc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom