Oil report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oil was Mobil1 high millage 10w-40, this would be the second 10K mile run with this oil, lead calmed back down to normal (for this motor) My 1FZ has never thrown the beautiful number of many here, no coolant (main reason for the analysis) blackstone goofed on the viscosity, looks just fine according to this VOA Mobil 1 10-40 High Mileage - Bob Is The Oil Guy maybe Blackstone did not realize it was the thicker high millage version?

did a lot of hard towing on this oil, 12K gross combined weight and not much commuting,

Starting to wonder if I could never change my oil, just run on make up oil. I lost track I have been topping of from a 5 quart jug, but I think at least 3 quarts were added. :hmm:

RAVEN: You ran this oil about 1000 miles less than the last, and lead dropped significantly. Did you
change something in the way you drive (e.g., more highway miles this time around)? Whatever the reason
for the improvement, we like it. The other metals are steady as a rock, and we found no undue
contamination in this sample. The trace of fuel is a common find in most gasoline engines, and it's not
hurting anything. The TBN is still good at 4.3, so you've got lots of active additive left. The viscosity is still a
bit high, though that's okay. Nice turnaround in lead!
200K.jpg

Looking good, you better not tell the guys over on BITOG, they don't like M1 anymore since Mobil won't share their proprietary formula.

One thing to watch is the PH as it will change long before many good synthetics break down.

yes,That is why I got the TBN (total base number) with the oil report it shows how much acid neutralizing additive remains in the oil. a TBN of 4.3 is plenty.

Good info. I'm changing my oil (myself) with Mobil 1 now! What oil filter are you using?
I bought a case of little ones from Dan. I can toss in a new quart at 10 k miles and change the filter.

The good small 90915-20004 filters from Dan,

That comment about not changing oil was was half in jest. you would need more than 1 quart turn over every 10K to keep everything in good shape.

interesting read on long oil use

Synthetic Oil Life Study

Just bought 2 5 qt containers of Mobil 1, 10w 30. Paid 26.00 each at Walmarts. Is there any place cheaper?

Last edited:
That's a fine looking report. My Blackstone kit came in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I think I'm going to do the next change at 5,000 miles and send in the sample. I'm using Mobil 0-40.

Put 1000 miles on the oil change so far. Oil seems to stick to the dip stick a little more. Tough to check the amount. No usage though.

PDoyle what were you using before?

Last oil change was 5 w 30 Sunoco synthetic blend. Prior to that, just oil.

Raven, did you replace your filter during that interval?

Nope, same filter for 10K,

I have been cutting open my filters and with the exception of the first few after I bought it they have always been clean, running one flavor of Mobil 1 or another.

The first few had teaspoon or so 'carbon sand" in the bottom of the filter and in the pleats, when rubbed between the fingers it broke up into soot. I attribute this to too long on dino oil by the previous owner,

Thanks, good info!

Nope, same filter for 10K,

I have been cutting open my filters and with the exception of the first few after I bought it they have always been clean, running one flavor of Mobil 1 or another.

The first few had teaspoon or so 'carbon sand" in the bottom of the filter and in the pleats, when rubbed between the fingers it broke up into soot. I attribute this to too long on dino oil by the previous owner,

That's interesting-So do you think the Mobil1 loosened up the old varnish/deposits from the conventional oil?

I ask because I ran my Fj40 2F on Mobil1 for a few years and when I took off the side cover, 35 years of accumulated sludge was still there. My conclusion was that Mobil1 does not remove engine sludge! I went back to conventional after that

My 80 series has run Mobil1 since 40k miles and the valve train is spotless-so maybe it's doing something!

What I found in the first few was probably already loose,

I know that Mobil one when used from from new will keep a motor perfectly clean, what I do not know is weather it can remove already laid deposits,

One of these days I'll pull my valve cover and compare to pictures of it 100K miles ago and find out.

there can be oil starvation problems if a new oil aggressively removes deposits laid by another oil. the loosened sludge clogging the filter and passages

I gotta think you need to run the engine for a long enough period of time to get the condensation cleared out.
I guess that takes more than 1/2 hour commutes daily.
So, you found no problems after changing the filter after 10k miles! That is great!

I'll have to look into the Blackstone thing as I know nothing about it. My exhaust smells somewhat sweet at start up however I'm not losing any coolant. This might help diagnosis any problems.

I changed to full synthetic when I bought the truck at 87K (now 107k) but still change it every 3000 miles. My thoughts are it cost less then a fill up of gas and gives me a reason to crawl under the rig and put a smile on my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom