Oil Pump issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 89 fj62 with about 220k. Used it as my daily driver for around a year and now the oil pressure reads zero and I get that scary clackity clack- I'm assuming it's my oil pump that has gone so I want to know best options for replacing it as I heard it's a pretty penny. Haven't started it since I heard the clacking and miss driving the thing. Any ideas / rough estimates on price?

The oil pump is all gear driven and submerged in oil. It's probably the most robust component in the engine. They don't have a history of failing. Though anything is possible I suppose.

Okay that is awesome news! I'm gonna try to see if the galley plug is still in place and get my neighbor who is a keep guy to help me navigate all this stuff.

Have you checked your oil via the dipstick? Do you know that your pressure sender and gauge are functioning properly? As OS stated it is highly unlikely your oil pump has failed.

If the galley plug has ejected the side of your engine and probably a lot of your engine bay on that side would be covered in oil.

I would probably attribute the "clackity-clack" to valves out of adjustment, I'm assuming you haven't checked them?

If your engine has actually lost oil pressure and is knocking then you need pull the oil pan and inspect/replace either the rod bearings, main bearings or both. Possibly facing machine work. A new oil pump will not fix this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom