Oil Pressure sending unit replacement - newbie question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All
i decided to accurately measure my oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and ultimately replacing the sending unit if necessary. Do you need to drain the oil to remove the sending unit? will it start pouring oil in my face if i remove it without draining the oil?

Thanks in advace

Why do you want to change it? If you're worried about the fluctuation of the needle while driving, that's normal gauge operation as long as it's within the pressures the manual calls for at the indicated driving conditions.

no it will not pour out oil... if you are fast only a rag is needed... pull old sending unit... have finger ready to plug hole.... position new unit with Teflon tape on threads (not sure if needed but i did) and install....... screwed me I got a new sending unit that was bad... screwed with me for a few...

Thanks for the responses

Why do you want to change it? If you're worried about the fluctuation of the needle while driving, that's normal gauge operation as long as it's within the pressures the manual calls for at the indicated driving conditions.
I know about the fluctuation, my problem is that it goes below minimum.
Once the truck warms up, when you stop at a light the needle starts pulsating down and that drives me crazy. so i want to verify if the pressure is right. according to FSM, anything above 4.2 PSI is good.

20161128_190241.jpg

UPDATE....

I tried to measure the oil pressure but couldn't get the mechanical gauge in place, very uncomfortable location, pipes and hoses.
I decided to bite the bullet and went and bought a new sending unit at autozone.
They only had the Duralast (their own brand) and it was $54. since i had it already out i decided to buy anyway. To my surprise, the box said duralast, however the sending unit had a different brand stamped on it and was made in japan, which although still overpaid, at least made me feel a little bit less idiot.
To the point, after replacing the sending unit my oil pressure gauge now reads normally.

At first start with engine cold the pressure goes all the way to the top, once warmed up while driving it oscillates between half and 3/4. On idle it goes between 1/4 and half. I'm happy now and can sleep a lot better.

20170109_062648.jpg

hey I know this is an old discussion...
did you put teflon tape (or anything else) on the threads of the new sending unit?
thanks,
jay

You do not need any tapes, just screw it on and tight it snug. Don't over tight it.

hey I know this is an old discussion...
did you put teflon tape (or anything else) on the threads of the new sending unit?
thanks,
jay

I don't remember, but pretty sure I did because I love to use teflon.....

Actually a good idea to use FIPG 103 (103 is for oil) on threads of oil pressure sending unit. FSM recommends it be done with parts # 088330-00080, Three bond 1344, loctite 242 or equivalent.

Last edited:
I replaced mine last week. I wrapped teflon tape around the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom