Oil pan Compatability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short as I am sure most of you have seen my post I just did the clutch and rear main and the oil pan gasket but I am still leaking oil from the plug and the rear of the oil pan.

After the second gasket and second oil plug I started looking and noticed that the rear of the pan does not sit well in the little channel on the block and near the plug the pan is dented in. Looks like it hit a rock or something (PO).

I want to know if all the oil pans for 2F's were the same so I can get a used one cheap and hopefully kill my oil leak from the plug and rear of the pan.

BTT.. Reviving an old thread instead of starting an new one.
And I'll admit I have not pulled the pan yet to determine.. Hope someone here would know off the top of their head..
3fe oil pan currently residing in my FJ45.. spot welds on the skid plate are busted, leaking badly. I have a spare 2f pan sitting on shelf, clean, tanked, ready to go. I have a spare 3fe on a stand but would rather NOT pull the pan if I don't need to.. Lots of extra work there..

2f vs 3f oil pan? Different part #"s? but is there a difference? Or am I in uncharted territory?
Or I guess just wait till i pop the pan off and figure it out. ANy input appreciated. Thanks! Erik.

Erik, if you give me a few minutes i will go back out to the garage and look closely as i have both pans sitting on the floor. You got a 2F or a 3FE engine in there ?

There is a difference between old and new 2Fpans. The new pan (has a 12mm drain plug) requires a different pan gasket. The 3F pan is different altogether.

The early 2F pan uses a 12151-61010 gasket and the new 2F pan, along with the 3F pan, uses a 12151-61011.

Last edited:
As Dan just said they are completely different bolt patterns front and rear . If you want pics i can put them on here i just took.

These are from a 3FE and a 85 2F.

Cleaner one is 2F.
101_2819.jpg
101_2820.jpg
101_2821.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm.. SO.. I have an older 2f pan sitting in the garage that clearly won't work.

I have a 3fe leaking in the 45.. I have access to a clean, tanked 86-87 2f pan or pull the pan off the spare 3fe. REgardless I will be pulling the pan on there. I'll grab the spare 2f pan for safety sake. and probably end up pulling the one off the other motor. Thank you all.. I will keep my fingers crossed that the spare at chef's is the "newer" 2f pan.

I'm not convinced you can use a 2F pan on a 3F.

NOr am I :)
I'll just prepare myself to pulling 2 pans. One on the engine in the truck and the spare on the stand. Thank you all for the info.

As a data point, the worldwide EPC shows part number 12101-61013 is the new universal OEM pan that fits all F/2F/3F, up through 12/89 FJ75. There is also an updated gasket that goes w/ this pan, but it is only a very minor detail difference in fitment at the corner of the block rail and main cap. The new pan is not drawn as deeply into the corner (to reduce wrinkling & cracking) so the gasket is a little thicker. Still not a good fit, so the use of supplemental FIPG is suggested in that area. Both gasket PNs have been successfully used w/ both types of pan (84-earlier, 85-later).

HTH.

Just now getting to this situation. The toyota gasket just doesnt fit. Pn 12151-61011 . I have a four piece gasket in a 3f gasket kit that does fit tho. The new gasket doesnt fit any of the three pans i have here. Im not that comfortable using fpig to fill that gap either. Is there an older pn i need to use? Three pans are 78, 87, and 88. And the 87 2f pan does fit the 3f. Ill possibly glue the 4 piece gasket together and make it a one piece. Its the rear main bearing area thats just too long on the gasket to fit.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Followup question. Would gasket # 12101-61013 be the one i need if im not using the new and improved pan that fits all?

88 3f engine. I have an 87 2f pan here that fits as well. I can pull another 88 3f pan off spare motor but. The gasket 12151-61011 doesnt fit any of the pans sitting here. My 88 3f pan rusted the skid plate off.

The 61011 is the updated new gasket that goes with the updated backward compatible pan.

So the 61011 does not fit on any of your used oilpans?

The 61010 is the early 2F pan gasket, FWIW. That must be the OE gasket that is needed.

Or glue together the 4piece and get it on there.

Good luck!

10-4 exactly what i needed to know. Thanks Jim.

kinda confused...can i put my brand new oem 3fe oil pan on my 84 2f block? fwiw i have the 2f gasket. thanks for any help and pardon the hijack
Drew

Brand new pan as in the new style? If so yes but if u kept up u need gasket # 12151-61011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom