Oil change WTF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
I hit 5000 miles and 8 months this weekend since my last oil change, so I figured I'd take advantage of the mild temps to do a change today, since I had everything at home to do it.

Last change was in May, 109200 miles, first one oil change for me, as soon as I got it home. New OEM filter and Amsoil 0-20W "OE" grade oil. I check it every few weeks, it never moved.

At 114200 miles now. Warmed it up for a few minutes in the garage, then dropped the shields and pulled the drain plug. Oil was dark as expected, otherwise looked normal. Then I removed the fill plug, and found this:

IMG_20180128_101912.jpg

That goo went all the way down inside that plastic fill riser. I pulled the engine cover, and removed the riser. You can easily see down under the valve cover with that off, I saw no more evidence of that residue anywhere, it all looked normal for that many miles. I drained the oil filter into a separate clear pan, let it sit, saw no milky oil, water separation, or sediment, it looked normal, as did the oil filter.

This truck has never used coolant, the last time I added any was last fall when I had the water pump changed (preventive), and I have a mark on the reservoir at the level when cold, it's never moved. It has never smoked or had a steam cloud out of the exhaust. Engine runs very smooth. I also had the plugs changed when I did the water pump, they looked normal but worn out, they must have been original.

My commute is 8 miles, and I occasionally let it warm up before leaving, especially if it's really cold. I scooped as much of the goo out on a blue paper shop towel, and you could see it wicking water out into the towel. Plain water, not pink. Then I cleaned the rest out with brake clean.

Hoping this is just condensation build-up from not running long enough, as has been posted here before. Seems rather excessive to me though, I'm kinda freaking out. I'll check it every time I get gas from now on, might do another change in 1000 miles just to be safe. Maybe I'll find a longer route to work.

Yikes. I commute 5 miles to work and mine is spotless at 104k. FWIW, I use Toyota synthetic with TRD filter.

At least you're not losing coolant, so I wouldn't be too worried. Condensation and quick drives can be the cause. Still very odd and very excessive. Might try switching to Toyota oil. I've had this before on other vehicles, but never had a vehicle that bad. Looks delicious though, toast some bread and spread some on for a quick snack.

Looks like a combination of your short commute and cold temperatures is resulting in a lot of condensation - I'd freak out, too.

Couldn't hurt to baseline your lube system by switching to Toyota 0w-20 oil and a clean filter next oil change, and running a few errands during the week that extend your engine run time. Other than that, good luck!

HTH

I would take the unit for a 30 min or longer drive once in awhile, so it thoroughly warms up and boils off the moisture.

I hit 5000 miles and 8 months this weekend since my last oil change, so I figured I'd take advantage of the mild temps to do a change today, since I had everything at home to do it.

Last change was in May, 109200 miles, first one oil change for me, as soon as I got it home. New OEM filter and Amsoil 0-20W "OE" grade oil. I check it every few weeks, it never moved.

At 114200 miles now. Warmed it up for a few minutes in the garage, then dropped the shields and pulled the drain plug. Oil was dark as expected, otherwise looked normal. Then I removed the fill plug, and found this:

View attachment 1621081

That goo went all the way down inside that plastic fill riser. I pulled the engine cover, and removed the riser. You can easily see down under the valve cover with that off, I saw no more evidence of that residue anywhere, it all looked normal for that many miles. I drained the oil filter into a separate clear pan, let it sit, saw no milky oil, water separation, or sediment, it looked normal, as did the oil filter.

This truck has never used coolant, the last time I added any was last fall when I had the water pump changed (preventive), and I have a mark on the reservoir at the level when cold, it's never moved. It has never smoked or had a steam cloud out of the exhaust. Engine runs very smooth. I also had the plugs changed when I did the water pump, they looked normal but worn out, they must have been original.

My commute is 8 miles, and I occasionally let it warm up before leaving, especially if it's really cold. I scooped as much of the goo out on a blue paper shop towel, and you could see it wicking water out into the towel. Plain water, not pink. Then I cleaned the rest out with brake clean.

Hoping this is just condensation build-up from not running long enough, as has been posted here before. Seems rather excessive to me though, I'm kinda freaking out. I'll check it every time I get gas from now on, might do another change in 1000 miles just to be safe. Maybe I'll find a longer route to work.
So to clarify, the last oil change, was the first one that you did. And that was with Amsoil OE?

If that’s right, do you know what oil has been used prior?

So to clarify, the last oil change, was the first one that you did. And that was with Amsoil OE?

If that’s right, do you know what oil has been used prior?

Yes that's correct, and no I don't.

I have an Amsoil account and have been using this grade of oil for many years with no issues.

What is the Temperature range where you live? Humidity level. Is it so cold you don’t get warmed up by the time you get to work?
I think he’s in NH

When I lived in Boston with my then new 09 200. I commuted about 3 miles and didn’t have this issue

I think he’s in NH

When I lived in Boston with my then new 09 200. I commuted about 3 miles and didn’t have this issue
This is a weird phenomenon I live in Jacksonville drive that 8 miles each way to the gym very humid down here don’t get that cold that I’ve never seen anything like this on any of my vehicles anywhere I live that’s from Kansas City to Vegas to Austin Texas it still would be nice to know what’s causing it

At least you're not losing coolant, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Looks delicious though, toast some bread and spread some on for a quick snack.
I'll pass and suggest you try it...perfect for an evening snack prior to your first or next colonoscopy.

I'd gar-un-tee you'd lose a lot more than coolant. ;)

I'm sure there are folks here that live in colder climates. We did have a severe cold spell (below zero for a few days) a few weeks ago, then it got warm (50's) and with a very low dew point for a bit.

Engine temp gauge is up to normal by the time up to work or home, Torque has been reading 180-185dF consistently, even on long trips.

We ran into this years ago in Southern British Columbia. My friends wife had a short commute and when we went for a longer drive the cap was just like that one. Because of her short commute the engine never warmed up enough to dry out the oil and it built up because it was warm enough to cause the condensing of the air in the engine. After the oil was changed they made sure to warm the engine with a longer drive once in a while and it didn't reoccur. It turned out to be a non-event.

Posted this question on Bob is the oil guy so about seven responses says it’s condensation caused by what you all of been saying nonevent not to worry about

Thanks for the insight. Like most of you, I'm pretty fussy about my vehicles and feel like I do way above average maintenance. This truck was a big leap of faith for me, and so far... meh I'm not that impressed. Problem is... I can't think of a single vehicle that I'd prefer to have instead. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this, not sure how I can work frequent longer trips into it's life cycle, seems like a waste of gas to me, it's not like this truck gets Prius mileage.

I was wondering as I was in the middle of this change, suppose I had just dropped it at the dealer for the change? Would they have said anything? Or just dumped in fresh oil? I actually let the thing drain for about 3 hours, no way they would do that.

4,5,8 miles, you are crazy to start a landcruiser for that, and the sludge is proof it never warms up to operating temp.
Also all the idling on driveways is just stupid, idling does not heat up a car properly, driving does.
All operating below engine service temp is small scale damage.
That sludge tells you to get a tesla, have fun.

4,5,8 miles, you are crazy to start a landcruiser for that, and the sludge is proof it never warms up to operating temp.
Also all the idling on driveways is just stupid, idling does not heat up a car properly, driving does.
All operating below engine service temp is small scale damage.
That sludge tells you to get a tesla, have fun.

I don't disagree. Back in my trucking Halliburton days, we were taught that it's bad to let engines idle, especially petrol engines.

Not really a fan of Tesla, although I do follow their news feeds, mostly because I'm interested in the tech. But I could easily see us in an EV Rav4, something like that.

4,5,8 miles, you are crazy to start a landcruiser for that.
Really? I will have Trumps doctor check my mental health

I don’t spend 160,000$ every two years for a Lx for my wife and a LC for me, so that I can walk to work ;)

When I am in SE Asia, most of our Nissan Patrols and Land Cruisers since 1985 have been started and stopped (commercial and residential) every 2-3 miles and sometimes idles in one spot for hours (check SE traffic... makes 405 look like highways in Montana) . Nothing has gone wrong, and I am talking about FJ60 all the way to diesel 200s

These are Land Cruisers ;)

10 miles during week (mine) and 1500 miles on weekends ....

My wife’s probably started and stopped 15 times a day with 2-4 miles each time

Compared to SE Asia, Africa, Russia, Australia, USDM land cruisers are most over maintained and pampered in the world

To each their own.

Last edited:
I'm no guru, but I did some poking around...and found this:
Looks an awful lot like what this video describes as "accumulated condensation that doesn't have a chance to heat it's way out on shorter drives."

This <5 minute video also mentioned that it's not usually a huge problem. -Just looks horrifying.

This guy's clarification would be done by checking the dip-stick. If it looks milky at the dip-stick, you want to look for coolant. He also has some suggestions & other things to look for & some other factors to consider when short trips are the norm. Talks about the need for more frequent oil changes since short trips can lead to other issues that mean NOT waiting for 5000 miles to change oil.

Have a look and see what you think:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom